PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway-bar mounting brackets

earlyapex
03-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I have a Whiteline swaybar on the rear but reused the stock brackets. I would love to source some beefier brackets though.

Anyone know of some aftermarket heavy duty rear sway-bar mounts that will work with a 25mm bar?

vtluu
03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I have a Whiteline swaybar on the rear but reused the stock brackets. I would love to source some beefier brackets though.

Anyone know of some aftermarket heavy duty rear sway-bar mounts that will work with a 25mm bar?
Did your swaybar just come with a bushing to accommodate the larger diameter?

Is the bracket that important other than that it has to be strong enough to hold the swaybar and without bending/flexing? The swaybar resists torsion (twisting) so I'm not sure a stronger bracket would make much of a difference insofar that it just holds the swaybar in place but doesn't otherwise help the swaybar. But then again what do I know. :)

earlyapex
03-09-2005, 07:14 PM
yea, whiteline supplied harder and larger bushings with their swaybar.

Looking at how the swaybar mounts on the evo, it doesn't look like the mounts undergo any crazy stresses like the WRX ones do.

but then again, Chris W says he keeps breaking the rear mounts on his EVO with the hotchkis bar.

Figured if I sourced stronger and beefier mounts its just preventitive. Either that or I will just bring a couple sets of stock mounts to track days just to be safe. :)

vtluu
03-09-2005, 07:17 PM
but then again, Chris W says he keeps breaking the rear mounts on his EVO with the hotchkis bar.

Figured if I sourced stronger and beefier mounts its just preventitive. Either that or I will just bring a couple sets of stock mounts to track days just to be safe. :)
I broke the rear mounts on my Hotchkis bar soon after I first installed it, but that was because I installed it wrong (missed the part where I was supposed to re-use part of the stock bracket :oops:). See http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2372

Fixed that, and it's been solid ever since.

earlyapex
03-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Your images are broken where you post photos of the broken and replacement brackets in that thread you linked to. :(

vtluu
03-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Your images are broken where you post photos of the broken and replacement brackets in that thread you linked to. :(
Yeah, sorry, the images must have gotten deleted a while back, but I'll try to describe it here: the factory bracket (each side) consists of two (roughly) u-shaped pieces of metal, one of which slips over the other (with the bushing in between.

The Hotchkis comes with (each side) two L shaped pieces (with bolt holes). They fit over the inner factory "U" bracket, kinda like this: _|U|_. (And a U-shaped piece bolts to the bottom of the "L"s and holds the new bushing.) My mistake was not using the inner factory "U" bracket, so basically I had "_| |_" bolted to the car. Without the U-bracket to hold and reinforce them, the L pieces broke along the bolt holes. Actually I think the factory design is probably stronger--2 pieces of metal rather than 4. The Hotchkis piece does have one interesting feature which is that the U-piece that holds the bushing has a little nipple on it so you can inject more grease if the bushing starts squeaking (hasn't happened yet).

earlyapex
03-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Interesting.

Maybe I will just buy a second set of stock mounts just in case and see how the stock mounts hold up on the car.