PDA

View Full Version : New WORKS Eco Flash for EVO X

Bill@WORKS
09-29-2008, 12:01 PM
We have had a lot of customers who have been upset with high gas prices and are looking for a way to improve fuel economy.
Our engineers have developed a new Eco Flash for the EVO X that is specifically targeted to those people looking to get better mileage. The Eco Flash gives significant improvements in fuel economy and still manages to net power gains of around 15 horsepower. This flash will pay for itself in approximately 6 months. The Eco Flash is available as a mail in flash and is currently available through our website.

There is a bit more detail here:
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=537

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll109/Bill_WORKS/ECOFlash1.jpg

-Bill@WORKS

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
What AFR are you having it run in open loop at cruise to actually increase the fuel economy?

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
If it's still using closed loop for cruise (which it sounds like it is) then economy during closed-loop operation and cruise (which is about 80-90% of driving) will not be affected.

During closed loop, the ECU is using the front 02 sensor to always try and maintain Stoich, which is 1.0 lambda or 14.7:1 AFR.

Timing and Mivec changes during cruise can help a little, depending on octane, but it's stated that timing has not been touched, only afr.

Chrispy
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
maybe changing to the narrowband O2's crossover voltage?
that might get it leaner... to save a bit of mpg, but it'd compromise NOx emissions and EGTs
and evo x's have electronically controlled throttle right?
so perhaps a change to something like load v. throttle-position v. throttle-plate-opening?

PS. that pic seems a tad misleading
PSS. the link to the WORKS product page doesn't work, it's including the "produc...roducts_id=537" ellipsis into the url
PS...3? awww hell, fixed it fer you guys

http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=537

Unowned
09-30-2008, 02:39 PM
What are the new fuel estimates using the EPA's guidelines with your Eco Flash?

ZK
09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I called them. I talked to David. He said some people with it are getting 280 miles per tank where before they were getting 220 miles.

He also mentioned that it isn't going to save as much gas if you're just cruising long distance on the highway. This is more for city driving where you are accelerating and stop and go a lot.

Is it worth it? I have no idea... he said if you're looking for more power, this is not the flash to get. Their P2 will add a lot more power while still saving gas.

Bill@WORKS
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
First of all the flash doesn't just modify air/fuel ratios; it goes beyond that to include acceleration enrichment.

The Eco Flash does not modify closed loop mode, it does modify tip-in acceleration and Open Loop*. But I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding about when the EVO X is in open loop vs. closed loop and how the ECU determines when to enter Open Loop.

There are numerous parameters that determine when the car switches from open to close loop including coolant temperature, load, rpm and throttle position.

Although the the terminology Wide Open Throttle can be often associated with Open Loop, that is not what we meant. For simplicity sake in most cases the ECU understands open loop to be somewhere between 20-30% throttle, in other words engaging the gas pedal just a third of its travel. True folks who putter around at 60 mph may not engage past that 20-30% margin when cruising on the freeway (although they almost certainly do getting up to that speed), but we have found that in real world driving, even when cruising at quick freeway speeds in CA we are consistently passing that margin and entering into Open Loop.

Again, acceleration enrichment is also changed so that there is better fuel economy under tip in acceleration. If you drive in normal traffic normally you will transition from closed to open loop; even if it isn't for very long. My engineer told me that he was seeing an extremely conservatively rated 30+% reduction in fuel consumption during WOT and 5% reduction (conservatively rated) under tip-in throttle, and about 15 horsepower gain to the wheels. Normally customer are seeing 210-220 miles before empty tank, now people are normally seeing 280-290 miles to the tank.

If you drive an Evo as frugally as a hypermiler. You will definitely be in closed loop most of the time. So the benefits will be small.

-Bill@WORKS
*Thanks to RazorLab or Bryan@GST for the correction

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, WOT does mean the throttle wide open @ 100%, hence "Wide Open Throttle". So yes it does mean "foot has to be planted on the floor." Unless you are changing the electric throttle % per movement? Example: 80% movement = 100% at the ECU

The Ecu determines closed to open loop transition based on Load and if the TPS is over a certain percentage.

Do you have a graph overlay showing the AFR changes between factory and the changes you make on tip-in that you are trying to explain?

nebolic
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
So do you want to summarize the questions you have?

nebo

Bill@WORKS
10-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks again for the corrections Bryan, one of our engineers read the post and quickly pointed out my misstatements as well (and almost strangled me); apologies again.

Also I wanted to reiterate that customers are seeing about a 25-30% improvement in mileage without changing their normal driving style.

I think we do have graphs, but it is proprietary info that cannot go out to the general public as of right now--and that decision is out of my control.

-Bill@WORKS