PDA

View Full Version : CARB #s

PinoyMix06MR
10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
So i heard....

from an old co-worker (he said he used to work for import tuner, and he seems pretty knowledgable.. but i thought id ask you guys), that there is a place somewhere in/around the bay area, that can run your car on a dyno (or test it or something) and if it passes smog, they can give you CARB#s for all your aftermarket stuff??

now i dont know tooo much (so take it easy huh??), but i was wondering if it was true or if anyone has heard anything about something like that?

I also heard that most of the big manufacturers stuff ARE CARB legal but u need to ask them for the sticker?

please enlighten me......

Thanx in advance :D

ChuckP
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
LOL. If the item you bought is CARB legal, it wil come with a sticker. If not, your SOL.

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I believe he is talking about BAR and talking about engine swaps that retain all the factory smog equipment.

You cannot get aftermarket parts that do not have carb #'s to magically have carb #'s if they pass smog

PinoyMix06MR
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
hmmm... sounded sketch... b c i figured alot of people would have done it...

well let me ask this...

can u bar a motor with mods??

or should i just register my car in nevada lol

ChuckP
10-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Have you done an engine swap in your evo?

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 09:40 AM
no....

but i think i already know the answer to this one...

i guess i was just having some BLIND hope that i could...

i love cali, just too bad the car laws are CRAP....

makes me want to register my car in another state (i have family in vegas)....

but i wonder if i will run into problems doing that too??

ChuckP
10-02-2008, 09:44 AM
no....

Unless you buy CARB exempt mods, you cant do shit.

Do not register your car in another state, they are cracking down on this and will get you. I got busted by the CHP for having my car registered in Oregon.

sprytsi
10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
no....

Unless you buy CARB exempt mods, you cant do shit.

Do not register your car in another state, they are cracking down on this and will get you. I got busted by the CHP for having my car registered in Oregon.

+1, if you have a CA driver's license and a NV car in your name then it looks funny. You are supposed to have the car registered in the state where it primarily is.

Not that you can't do it. I thought about registering my car in AZ but it solves nothing.

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 10:14 AM
i have a feeling that i will need to RePurchase some parts... so i wont be harassed.... mainly my intake (INJEN) bc as far as i know, its not CARB exempt....

guess i know now...

what a waste of money i feel like now :( :(

ChuckP
10-02-2008, 10:57 AM
i have a feeling that i will need to RePurchase some parts... so i wont be harassed.... mainly my intake (INJEN) bc as far as i know, its not CARB exempt....

guess i know now...

what a waste of money i feel like now :( :(

I wouldnt worry so much. Chances are you will never have your hood poped by a cop, so dont stress it. Most of us here have "illegal mods" on our cars, but were not stressin' over it.

pjb00stin
10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
illegal?do we have such a word on nce?

dont stress,just dont drive crazy on the streets and you'll be fine bro.your exhaust looks stealth anyways

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 11:12 AM
yea im not worried now... im worried after i do appearance mods.... (jdm rear, cf hood, cf lip)... then i feel like ima run into problems..

but ill take it as it comes...

can you NOT go to ref and just pay for like NO FIX....

awdaddict
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
yea im not worried now... im worried after i do appearance mods.... (jdm rear, cf hood, cf lip)... then i feel like ima run into problems..

but ill take it as it comes...

can you NOT go to ref and just pay for like NO FIX....

http://www.bar.ca.gov/

"The state budget was signed by the Governor on September 23, 2008. However, per the Governor’s Executive Order issued on July 31, 2008, Referee and Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) Repair Assistance and Vehicle Retirement services remain suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience. Consumers may call the Department of Consumer Affairs, Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210. Also, please check our web site periodically to confirm when both Referee and CAP services will resume."

CasperIXse
10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
after the carbon hood mixed with your GFB BOV youre cop fodder. if we ever drive together i drive in front k? :)

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
dont worry.. ima spray paint it flat black lol.... everything in my engine bay.. flat black..

that should fix things right?? :D

CasperIXse
10-02-2008, 12:03 PM
hahah in theory.

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
well i thought it was a good idea... :?

as long as it looks stock right?? :D

SavageEvo8
10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
its impossible to get a sticker for a legal swap now with BAR down isnt it? i need one for my AE

ChuckP
10-02-2008, 01:28 PM
OP- What exactly do you have under your hood besides the intake that you are concerned about?

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
lets see... besides the Intake with Upper and lower piping (colored black)..

the gfb bov (kinda shiny...)

but i think thats it for now...

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 01:44 PM
im not stressn too much... but as i sit here at work.... i just wonder.... "what if"

sprytsi
10-02-2008, 02:21 PM
im not stressn too much... but as i sit here at work.... i just wonder.... "what if"

what if... a tree fell on your car?

....then the cops could see your intercooler piping and send you to the ref!

I wouldn't be too worried about minimal mods, cops aren't the most informed on mods. Just don't volunteer to pop your hood and don't drive like a jackass

ChuckP
10-02-2008, 02:49 PM

what if... a tree fell on your car?

....then the cops could see your intercooler piping and send you to the ref!

I wouldn't be too worried about minimal mods, cops aren't the most informed on mods. Just don't volunteer to pop your hood and don't drive like a jackass

And get rid of that POS BOV, and your good to go.

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
yea.. i dont want a stock BOV though....

not even for performance reasons....

i just dont like having stock stuff.. (weird obsession...)

but i still have the stockie

ChuckP
10-02-2008, 05:57 PM
yea.. i dont want a stock BOV though....

not even for performance reasons....

i just dont like having stock stuff.. (weird obsession...)

but i still have the stockie

LOL, that sux. That BOV will get you sent to a smog ref in a heartbeat.

lqdchkn
10-02-2008, 06:09 PM
You just need to make everything stealth.
http://blogs.discovery.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/03/stealth_600.jpg

If they can't tell it's modded or not stock, they can't tell it's illegal. ;)

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM
yep... like i said... flat black :)

lol....

and ima keep all the stock part just in case im F***'D

dam police... :x :x :x :x :x

pjb00stin
10-02-2008, 06:16 PM
You just need to make everything stealth.
[/img]

If they can't tell it's modded or not stock, they can't tell it's illegal. ;)

HELLZ YA!stock 'looking' ftmfw

the ix diverter is more than you'll need rich.its a very good DV,and will hold more boost than your going to push.keep it,sell the GFB,and take me out to lunch for giving you awsome advice.

PinoyMix06MR
10-02-2008, 06:21 PM
lol..... ehh....

i would.. but...

i dont think i appreciated the tone in which u "advised" me :D

but i will look into switching back... it was just so cool that it is a direct swap in/out....

i kno i kno... so ignorant... im sorry :?

MaxKanisha
10-03-2008, 03:42 PM
LOL Rich Rich.. Lets go out for a drive! Hahaha :lol:

Huys evo
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
i never get any looks from any cops (knock on wood) i even got my front windows tint. i have stock looking RSR exhaust. the only thing i got pulled over for was my front license plate and he didnt ask to pop my hood he gave me a warning and i was on my way. i also drive in elk grove alot and i know cops are dicks their. you are worry about nothing unless u start looking ricey. also most of the time if they send u to bar just put your stock airbox back and a cat if u took it off the smog it. it will pass

PinoyMix06MR
10-29-2008, 04:25 PM
ok.. that leads me to another question then...

What is considered <b>TOO</b> ricey? :shock:

ChuckP
10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
^Your ride

Huys evo
10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
big gt wing... lights that is not needed... really loud exhaust that has no function but to annoy cops... wheels that are not the right size or offset. evos cant really get ricey but there is always some on out there that has bad taste and dont know about it.

slowevo8
11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
i have a evo that i am building i was wondering since the car still have a michigan plate and when it is done will i have a problem driving it around and it not having cats and carb stickers on any of my intercooler pipes and turbo inlet

ChuckP
11-07-2008, 05:56 PM
^No, but the local PD will catch onto the Michigan Plates and eventually bust you for them.

slowevo8
11-07-2008, 06:09 PM
yeah but the car is registed in my dad's name and he has a house still in michigan and i think i can just say he drove it out here and he will take it back but don't know when. you think they will go for that b.s.

ChuckP
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
^No, i've been there and done that with Oregon plates. The state is cracking down on this. In what state does your dad pay income taxes? my guess is CA. Do what you want, but you will eventually get caught.