PDA

View Full Version : TOYO T1S/BFG KDW tires, which one?

thomas
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
sup guys,

quick poll on these two tires. will need to pick them up pretty soon and was wanting for you guys to let me kno what youve encountered with these, if any?

Toyo T1S 235/45/17

BF Goodrich KDW (traditional tread)

thx guys.

brwnrice
03-13-2005, 07:54 PM
jan care to chime in on the t1-s?

SouthernCrane
03-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Thomas, have you definitely narrowed your choices down to these two? If not, Tam might be able to add more to the list (Falkens, Kumho) and tell you about the way they feel on the car.

thomas
03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
yea im leaning towards the toyos already. just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

brwnrice
03-15-2005, 12:43 AM
or you can buy a set of pirelli pzero corsas at tire rack for just $128/tire.

thomas
03-15-2005, 03:43 AM
thx for the replies guys...

ordered the kumho ecsta mx in stock size. should be installed on friday.

is there a "break-in" period for tires to get sticky icky?

yea i kno, i said i had already made up my mind. but things change, sometimes for the better, haha :wink:

DB8GSR
03-15-2005, 06:28 AM

Yah... awd donuts is a must to get those tires properly broken in. :twisted: :wink:

vtluu
03-15-2005, 09:05 AM

For street tires, the main thing is that they typically have a protective treatment to prevent them from rotting in storage. This makes them initially slippery; a few hundred miles on them should wear off this layer. They'll get stickier as the tread wears down and tread squirm is reduced; some manufacturers use different compounds for different layers of the tire so stickiness may increase as you wear through different layers of the compound, and I vaguely recall someone saying this is the case for the MXs--the top of the tread blocks are made of harder compound to reduce squirm, the lower part of softer compound that gets used only when the tread blocks are shorter.

methods4
03-15-2005, 11:28 AM
thx for the replies guys...

yea i kno, i said i had already made up my mind. but things change, sometimes for the better, haha :wink:

Good choice on tires, I am on my 2nd set and have done a bunch of track days on them. I like them for their size, price and performance. Not as nice as a Yoko A046, but it's close and $70 cheaper per tire. I have been running the 245/40/17 on stock wheels.

thomas
03-15-2005, 05:39 PM
thx for the info guys :peace:

hopefully the cruise down to forcefed on sat will be enough to get them where i want for the track later this month.

hey methods, with 245s, do you have any problems clearing the fenders? i thought about getting a wider tire, but wasnt sure whether it would clear my fender or not. with the stock size, and the way its dropped, it almost looks like it would hit/rub.

i kno, why not juss raise my car up? haha.

how wide of a tire can you fit on stock wheels :?:

evo_dadi
03-15-2005, 05:53 PM
thx for the info guys :peace:

hopefully the cruise down to forcefed on sat will be enough to get them where i want for the track later this month.

hey methods, with 245s, do you have any problems clearing the fenders? i thought about getting a wider tire, but wasnt sure whether it would clear my fender or not. with the stock size, and the way its dropped, it almost looks like it would hit/rub.

i kno, why not juss raise my car up? haha.

how wide of a tire can you fit on stock wheels :?:

245's would be widest you can fit for the stock rims,there's a few that have popped 255's on them but i think thats just asking for trouble :shock: but 245's should be perfect for youre car mang :D :twisted: its not gonna rub or anything not unless youre dropped youre evo really low.

methods4
03-15-2005, 06:17 PM

My car is lowered quite a bit (Muellerized TEINs) so my tire does rub the fenderwell lining ever so slightly. In fact, I wouldn't have known it rubbed unless I took my wheel off noticed a hole in my fenderwell lining. No biggie to me though. The tire doesn't actually hit the fenders though. No need for rolling them or anything.

And yeah, I think 255 may be pushing it a bit much on an 8" wheel.

EVO GRIM
03-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Depends on the tire manufacturer. The fuzions I put on are 255's and they look like the same width as the 235 advans.

earlyapex
03-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Depends on the tire manufacturer. The fuzions I put on are 255's and they look like the same width as the 235 advans.

Must be some sweet tires then. :wink: