PDA

View Full Version : Question about coilovers....

evotistic
03-16-2005, 02:39 PM
I have the Tein type flex w/edfc on my evo now, and I like them. I was thinking about getting JIC's but I wonder if there really is a major difference. Of course, a set of Muellerized JIC's are tough to beat, but I'm talking just the flt-a2 out of the box.

I like having the ability to adjust damping force from inside the car, but I find that I rarely use it. The car is stiff at the hardest setting, but at the softest setting it bounces too damn much, so I tend to keep it at the hard setting.

I do plan to start tracking my car in the near future, so it will be both a grocery getter and a track car, so my question I guess is, are the JIC's that much better than the Tein's?

wilson1
03-16-2005, 04:37 PM
If i were you , i would try it with the flexes on the track first, before changing anything, you will be surprised by how decent the flexes are. Robi drove mines with the flexes and a few other suspension pieces, and he was surprised at how well it handles considering it's "only a Tein!"

earlyapex
03-16-2005, 04:58 PM
The JIC's are a MUCH MUCH harsher setup than your current TEINS, espically just off the shelf without custom spring rates. What Wilson said, try the TEINS at the track first and see how you like them.

Plus forget them if you go up to the snow at all unless you bath them in WD40 every 10miles:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/for_sale/JICS_FOR_SALE/JIC04.jpg

wilson1
03-16-2005, 05:39 PM
OH, another thing is that you have to have the suspension tuned or adjusted by someone more knowledgeable that you or me, cuz mines is set up with specific damping settings by Works.
I tried to do it myself, but "they" can do it better! :oops:

evotistic
03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah that sounds reasonable. Test before change. Man those JIC's are covered in rust! I actually don't go to the snow very often, but it's good to know.....So WORKS tuned your suspension? Is it mild or more set for the track? In that case does the EDFC function actually have a purpose other than looking trick? :) Thanks for the insight guys!

MarkSAE
03-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Call RRE and ask them about the Buddy Clubs Mueller is developing. According to Robi, they perform like the JICs on the track but are much more civilized for the street. I think the quality of the Buddy Clubs are a lot better than the JICs. Hopefully they won't look like the pic above after a few trips to Tahoe!

leif
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
i have jics and to be honest i dont care for them. however im sure a trip to RRE would fix that, you could always wait a bit and buy mine used since im buying ohlins. maybe the overall price will be cheaper if you send my jics to john. let me know..

evotistic
03-16-2005, 07:42 PM
i have jics and to be honest i dont care for them. however im sure a trip to RRE would fix that, you could always wait a bit and buy mine used since im buying ohlins. maybe the overall price will be cheaper if you send my jics to john. let me know..

Well if I decide to go with the JIC's, I'll keep you in mind. I'll also call RRE and see what's up with the buddy clubs. Maybe I'll have enough moola to go to the next track event, and I'll test out the Tein's. decisions decisions.....

MarkSAE
03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
JICs aren't very magical until they're Muellerized. Even RRE says they suck in out-of-box form.

earlyapex
03-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I think the quality of the Buddy Clubs are a lot better than the JICs. Hopefully they won't look like the pic above after a few trips to Tahoe!

They are both built in Taiwan I believe. Those are my JIC's after 1.5 Tahoe seasons.

MarkSAE
03-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Doh.. hmm.. what else is built in Taiwan? I hope they're not coming from the same shock supplier putting the same sh*tty coating on them.

earlyapex
03-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Doh.. hmm.. what else is built in Taiwan? I hope they're not coming from the same shock supplier putting the same sh*tty coating on them.

Mark you don't go to Tahoe do you? Then you don't really have to worry about it. My JIC's didn't start looking like that until I started going to Tahoe with them.

Jason's JIC's look fine still after 3+ years.

MarkSAE
03-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Nah, I don't go to Tahoe w/ my EVO. I thought they don't use salt in CA. But if a 1.5 seasons of going to Tahoe can make a set of coilovers look like that, then that really shows how poor the coating quality is.

From my email conversations w/ Buddy Club of America, it sounds like they'll stand behind their product if they have any manufacturing defects. It also helps to have a shop like RRE backing them.

methods4
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
...does the EDFC function actually have a purpose other than looking trick? :) Thanks for the insight guys!

I have the Tein Flex w/EDFC (Muellerized w/diff spring rates). It's very useful to any car that sees the street more than 90% of it's life. I'm willing to be 9.8 out of 10 people on this board fall into that category. I have my Teins set to full soft for street and when I go on trackdays, I just hit a button to stiffen them up. Very convenient. I'd hate to live with a stiff ride every single day just for that ONE track day every couple of months.

earlyapex
03-17-2005, 11:16 AM
[quote="evotistic"]I'd hate to live with a stiff ride every single day just for that ONE track day every couple of months.

What, you didn't like my pogo-tastic WRX with JIC's Tony?

:P

wilson1
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
...does the EDFC function actually have a purpose other than looking trick? :) Thanks for the insight guys!

I have the Tein Flex w/EDFC (Muellerized w/diff spring rates). It's very useful to any car that sees the street more than 90% of it's life. I'm willing to be 9.8 out of 10 people on this board fall into that category. I have my Teins set to full soft for street and when I go on trackdays, I just hit a button to stiffen them up. Very convenient. I'd hate to live with a stiff ride every single day just for that ONE track day every couple of months.

I agreed.
Really helpful on the streets.

methods4
03-18-2005, 11:17 AM
What, you didn't like my pogo-tastic WRX with JIC's Tony? :P

That setup made my Evo feel like a Cadillac. :-P