PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over - for a front plate, then a "Pop that hood son"

joshesh
10-18-2008, 07:35 AM
So yesterday afternoon was my first encounter with a CHP (moto cop) where he wanted me to pop my hood and come take a look under there with him :?

First he said, "is that an exhaust you have on there" - I say, that was on there when I bought it :lol:

Next he askes to take a look under my hood, (Stealth airbox mod FTW) and he says "what kind of turbo you have on this thing" - of course I say its stock sir, so is the front mount intercooler :D

So he takes a minute to run my info then hands me back all my stuff and tells me to take care of that front plate and leaves without any citation being made. :P

Lucky, yeah I was a bit - but I wasnt expecting someone to do the pop your hood thing in Santa Cruz - I really wanted him to ask me about the flex fuel badge so I could tell him about the clean/domestic/renewable engergy I am using, that would have shut him up pretty quick.

SavageEvo8
10-18-2008, 07:50 AM
glad to hear you got off without any problems..... was this on the way home from my dealer? damn popos... clean fuel FTW!!!

i got those gaskets in for you... whenever you want em

joshesh
10-18-2008, 07:53 AM
^Yeah it was on the way home from Gilroy, but I took some back roads (hicks rd) for a solo fun run after leaving your shop - and I was about 1/2 mile away from home so the cop probably saw I was just going home and didnt want to mess with me anymore :)

sprytsi
10-18-2008, 10:21 AM
running E85 in a non certified vehicle IS illegal. I read up on the flex fuel website a bit.

Ben
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
running E85 in a non certified vehicle IS illegal. I read up on the flex fuel website a bit.

So good thing the CHP didn't ask!

SavageEvo8
10-18-2008, 02:59 PM

i was just gonna chime in on that... since it is not a factory option, BAR wont like it very much, even if it is cleaner and so on..... they suck! its cool to represent the clean fuel, but unfortunately it may give you a headache advertising it.... but you hardly ever have problems, so i wouldnt really stress it

joshesh
10-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I'll keep advertising until it bits me in the arse... then I'll clean up the E85 stuff if they really dont like it that much. :/

SavageEvo8
10-18-2008, 03:28 PM
good call

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Can't beat 375whp that looks stock under the hood. ;)

joshesh
10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Can't beat 375whp that looks stock under the hood. ;)

+1000000000000000000000

SavageEvo8
10-18-2008, 06:19 PM
amen to that!

mynx877
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
very nice so how's the car running how's the clutch holding up?

joshesh
10-18-2008, 08:31 PM
cars running great, went on my first mountain fun run yesterday and had a blast - just couldnt hold full throttle for too long or id end up in a tree. ;) Clutch is fine, no launching yet - probably wont really try it either unless an autox calls for it :) Got some KW's on today with some stiffer springs all around and it squats much less when at full boost compared to before - i like it flat and fast!

mynx877
10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
very nice i cant waite till mine im waiting for my ets front mount to come in then i can install and go in for the secret sause tune nice

module unknown
10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I had that exact same experience the other week Josh. Pulled over for no front plate... in fact, pulled completely off the freeway. CHP made me exit the damn freeway so I could experience getting back on in rush hour traffic all over again. The guy was a douche, asked me what modifications I have under the hood. I told him none, then he says "so you're telling me that exhaust isn't modified." I reply with "you asked about under the hood." So out of the car I went so he could look for "anything adjustable". I tried to converse with the guy and even help point out where all of my "adjustable" items weren't, but he didn't want to hear and just kept staring at my timing belt cover hoping maybe it would fall off or become transparent so he could find some non-existant ajustable cam gears.

So after holding me there for a while he let me go with a ticket for no front plate. What sucks about that is I've had the front plate on since I first got the car, but had taken it off the weekend prior to getting pulled over so I could wax the front end (and the rest) of the car. My fault for not putting it back on. It was in the trunk too. :p

meh, only $10.

joshesh
10-20-2008, 08:51 AM
^Dang, sorry you actually got the ticket - I dont really feel like putting the plate on so until I get the yellow paper I'm keeping it bare :)

Yeah, my CHP was younger and saw an intercooler so instantly thought "modified turbo ricer" which it looks far from when you actually look under the hood. I told the cop I bought the car with the exhaust since I see so many used evo's being sold at our local stealerships with these parts still attached, it is perfectly feasible that my car had the "modded exhaust" when it came from the dealer ;)

Ben
10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I had that exact same experience the other week Josh. Pulled over for no front plate... in fact, pulled completely off the freeway. CHP made me exit the damn freeway so I could experience getting back on in rush hour traffic all over again. The guy was a douche, asked me what modifications I have under the hood. I told him none, then he says "so you're telling me that exhaust isn't modified." I reply with "you asked about under the hood." So out of the car I went so he could look for "anything adjustable". I tried to converse with the guy and even help point out where all of my "adjustable" items weren't, but he didn't want to hear and just kept staring at my timing belt cover hoping maybe it would fall off or become transparent so he could find some non-existant ajustable cam gears.

So after holding me there for a while he let me go with a ticket for no front plate. What sucks about that is I've had the front plate on since I first got the car, but had taken it off the weekend prior to getting pulled over so I could wax the front end (and the rest) of the car. My fault for not putting it back on. It was in the trunk too. :p

meh, only $10.

I wonder if he would have torn up the ticket if you put the plate on right there?

module unknown
10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
While I was outside with the hood popped, I did ask about quickly putting on my front plate. I was denied. I think he wanted to give me a ticket for something. :p

fugiwara
10-21-2008, 12:12 PM
It's so easy to have stock looking engine evo that's still fast. Cams, FP white, green, red turbo, cops won't notice the difference.

joshesh
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Mine truely is stock (ish), stock IX turbo, stock cams, only thing is the exhaust, injectors, fuel pump and air filter - but I have the stealth airbox mod so you cant tell unless your some evo guru.

JDMevoBOOST
10-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Good thing SF cops got better things to do.

Positron
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
same with SJ cops, I passed and sat with a few cops with my loud cams. Nothing =)

Pirate4x4
10-22-2008, 05:15 PM
So yesterday afternoon was my first encounter with a CHP (moto cop) where he wanted me to pop my hood and come take a look under there with him :?

First he said, "is that an exhaust you have on there" - I say, that was on there when I bought it :lol:

Next he askes to take a look under my hood, (Stealth airbox mod FTW) and he says "what kind of turbo you have on this thing" - of course I say its stock sir, so is the front mount intercooler :D

So he takes a minute to run my info then hands me back all my stuff and tells me to take care of that front plate and leaves without any citation being made. :P

Lucky, yeah I was a bit - but I wasnt expecting someone to do the pop your hood thing in Santa Cruz - I really wanted him to ask me about the flex fuel badge so I could tell him about the clean/domestic/renewable engergy I am using, that would have shut him up pretty quick.

I've had the EXACT encounter with a Folsom Police dept. cop... He also let me go, but warned me he'd ticket me next time he saw (heard) me for loud exhaust.

tyrant slaughter
10-25-2008, 11:49 PM
SF and SJ cops ftw... now santa clara county sheriffs dept in cupertino....watch out for them. They have absolutely nothing to do. Got my hood popped on an almost stock sc400. South city police also popped my hood. So paranoid.