PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about giving up the car!!!

lodievo209
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Im pretty sure alot of guys on here have thought the same but im seriously thinking about getting rid of my IX and start saving up for a house. Im not saying that I wouldnt be able to get a place of my own with the car, but it would make it a whole hell of a lot easier without it, especially with all of the goddam problems going on with it right now. If its not one thing then its another and another and so on :x . So when ever it gets out of the shop for the current problem im going to start looking around. I know im going to hate getting rid of it but i think its for the best. Possibly thinking about just getting something small and good on gas, something like a small truck or even go back to a Honda. Who knows just had to have a little rant while im at work with nothing to do. :) Sorry for the bitching

earlyapex aka jack ass
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
wtf that thing is still in the shop????

dabaysevo
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I thought about it, I'm not going to lie. But I don't have a lot of credit due to me buying stuff cash. I only have one credit card and basically the car is my only debt. So I don't have a bunch of lines of credit. So even if I wanted to get a house right now, banks are stingy with the money and I'm in the mid 600's now. I figure I'll keep doing what I'm doing and save up a bigger down payment and maybe get a couple more credit cards just to have some more references.

overdrive
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Damn, the guys who are getting rid of your EVO's are scaring me.

I still have payments left for the IX, but investing on one is still one of the best decisions I've made.

Hang in there bro. There may be a lot of reasons why someone is thinking of selling their EVO, but lately, a lot of guys have been thinking of selling their EVO's because of the economy.

chrisw
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Keep the evo. but keep saving for the house. The credit market is so screwed up now, that buying a house is difficult even if you have perfect credit.

sprytsi
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Paying down your evo loan then refinancing it could be a better option. Also, getting a beater and lowering your insurance by using the Evo as a second car could help.

Saving for a house is a good goal but not driving an Evo would be hard on me.

lodievo209
10-20-2008, 03:29 PM
^^^ Well Im just not sure how many times I can keep taking my car to get repaired over and over for runnng it to hard, when I can be saving the money for something way more important, like a house. Im not sure, maybe Im just like this way because all of this has been happening just recently in the past couple of months plus things going on in my personal life also. Who knows I guess only time can tell.

sprytsi
10-20-2008, 03:41 PM
what keeps breaking on your car? Is it factory related or mod related?

First thing I want to do is pay down my Evo loan (make more than minimum payments) and focus on my credit score when thinking about buying a house. Keeping the Evo for the time being could help boost your score by giving more credit history and timely payments.

If you have tons of credit history and don't need to keep it for that then selling may be a good option. I just get so much joy out of mine that I think I'd end up blowing MORE money without it!

player67
10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Your best bet is to sell the evo or just pay it off but dont keep the evo and get a house, in where we're at right now thats suicidal

lodievo209
10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
^^Oh yeah thats what I was thinking also, there is almost no way that I would keep the car if I got a house. If I did I need to almost put all my money towards the house with either fixing it up or putting money away for a rainy day just in case anything did happen.

Sfkn2
10-20-2008, 10:49 PM
What's wrong with the car?

Ben
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Don't listen to anyone telling you to keep it. Keep it if you won't be stressed out and have financial problems over it. Sometimes there are more important things in life than having a cool car, most people posting in here might not seem to agree with that statement but the fact that you made this thread suggests that you agree with my statement. House > car.

I was close to selling mine until I re-evaluated my earnings and found I made a big error somewhere and was making way more than I originally thought. Not saying that you'd make a mistake like I did like that but if you really like the car and you find some extra money to keep it then by all means keep it. These cars are fun and can be hard to let go of.

Sounds like you want to make a grown-up decision though...do what you need and not what you want.

pjb00stin
10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
art,whatever will better you in the future,do it.if you think you'll be financially ok with the evo and house,by all means do it.if not,sell the evo,buy the house you want,then later on,when funds say so,search for a evo again and pick it up.evo's are money pits.a hard one to get of at that.with a house you'll be able to raise a family and sleep.evo you wont.

SpinOne05
10-21-2008, 10:34 PM
What's wrong with the car?

Yeah, what is wrong with it?

nightwalker
11-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Making grown up decisions is what we should be doing, but if you're working hard, and have nothing "fun" to keep you motivated, you will get burnt up pretty fast. A lot of hard working people who are very successful will tell you that you have to reward yourself with the one thing you love the most. It's human.

Saving for a house is the right thing to do, except I wouldn't do it right now. There are a lot of things that will be changing, and I would wait at least until the next president steps in and has been in for 4-6 months.

My advice would be to stop driving the car hard, have someone who knows what they're doing look over the car, get it fixed right, and just drive it like it was a SOHC civic. That in itself is a very "adult" thing to do.

btw, what IS wrong with the car?

RREVOVIII
11-01-2008, 06:54 PM
keep the car and look for a different shop to do it right :D

Matz
11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Ok, I'm curious too... what's wrong with the car and why does it always break?

Good luck, though. I always hate seeing people give up their Evos.

DoggDicker
11-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Don't think anyone's asked...WHY IS YOUR CAR IN THE SHOP REPEATEDLY???

Dennis

whtrice
11-02-2008, 04:41 AM
House is a good decision but it will take commitment and sacrifice. When I bought my first house my car hobby went away for
many years in support of a house and a growing family. ( I drove a Hyundai the most boring car on the planet.) Still was able to go to car events and help friends work on their cars. This is actually good since you see and learn from others people's mistakes in building their cars. Once you put your mind to a decision just do it and don't look back. Buying my first home was a struggle but I am really glad I did it.

Paying off your Evo will show good credit so best of luck in your pursuit of being a home owner.

gandalf
11-12-2008, 12:56 PM
ya... it is important to be responsible. But also agree that you gotta have fun. I love driving my evo to work, cant imagine it any other way. Is that worth stress once a month to me? You betcha!!

djslik408
11-26-2008, 11:51 PM
So back to the car... why is it always in the shop?

evodragon915
01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
he said he drives it too hard

oneillevo
01-28-2009, 12:20 AM
So back to the car... why is it always in the shop?

Cuz he took it to FIA, LOL

JK JK!

bluevo79
01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
just be positive!:wav:

Pure EvoIX
01-28-2009, 12:33 AM
I dont think he has answered the question after being repeated many times. Maybe he already sold it.

oneillevo
01-28-2009, 02:06 AM
To my understanding he hasnt sold it. It might be that he has moved on from the site and to another forum?

izyzero
01-28-2009, 09:36 AM
i dont think art sold it.. saw him a few weeks ago.. haha

JDMevoBOOST
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Just remember along the lines of being a "safe" bet for a mortgage you have thought about some of the main things, but some things I see left out as well. To sum it up

-Good Credit (700+)
-4 lines of credit or more for more than 2 years each with no lates
-DTI - Debt to Income ratio should be way less than 40%
-You should have proof of stable income in the same kind of position for two or three years or more. So if you are an airplane mechanic for example, you have to prove that you have been working in that field for a while. It doesn't matter if you switched companies or whatever, but they won't like a person that has done 10 random ass jobs over the past few years.
-Some decent assets that you can prove ownership of (bank accounts, checking accounts, cars, stocks, any sort of real valuables that the bank can use as collateral if you fuck up.)

All of these things you have to think about. And there is no harm in going to a mortgage broker that you trust, even before you think you can afford it. At least that way they can tell you how far off you are and what things you can do to get the rate down to a manageable level.

ChuckP
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Take advantage of the FSA loans..3.5% down is nothing!

noypiC50
01-28-2009, 11:34 AM
It's just a car, no matter how much you love it. You've got to take care of other more important responsibilities first. I was in this dilemna back in 2003 when the evo first came out. I had just passed my board exam and got hired and was making the most money i have ever made. I was going to purchase the 03 Evo but decided to purchase a house instead when the house prices were not that ridiculous yet. Always dreamed about owning an evo and i was driving a beater at the time while paying for the house. The first 2-3 years ownign a house is the worst but eventually things setled down and got me a fixed 30yr loan. Just last year i bought the evo that i have been longing to have and i won't be selling her ever, unless its for another EVO.