PDA

View Full Version : Some set-up tips regarding Works stage II suspension

hagakure
03-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Some of you know that I have the works stage II set-up, which is camber plates, springs, rear swaybar. I encountered something at t-hill that I want to pass on. With this set-up and the rear bar set to full soft, the car will NOT turn, and infact, the rear-end will hop around and will not slide at all. I thought that my rear swaybar was set to fuoll stiff, as I had asked that it be set thusly last time I had the car over to Works for service, but it was inadvertently set to full SOFT. I'm sure it was a communication error, most likely on my part, so not bashing the guys at works:). Well, Shiv was behind my car with Robi driving on 2/26, and said that the car was hopping all over the place, and that has been my assessment, however perplexing, as well. I set the bar to full stiff, and WOW. What a change, the car turns, and is as balanced feeling as stock, with the additional pleasure of having a lot of understeer dialed out. No wonder I felt like I had forgot everything I'd learned the last track day! Anyway, just wanted to pass on the info to others that might have this set-up. You need the bar at at least middle stiffness, or the handling characteristics are going to be much WORSE than stock with this particular set-up. Peace all, hope to see some of you att he lotus club event 3/30.

Percy

vtluu
03-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Interesting. The Hotchkis swaybar's 3 settings go between something like 10% stiffer than stock to around 45% stiffer (EDIT: precisely, +10%, +27%, +47%) than stock. I used the soft settings (with rear dampers loosened up) at THill but that was because it was raining. Probably will use the same settings this Sunday (auto-x).

hagakure
03-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Not sure what the gradiation of stiffness is on the works bar. All I know that witht he uprated springs, running-2.6 degrees of camber int he rear, and 24mm swaybar set to full soft, handling is DEGRADED, understeer magnified, to the degreee that the rear end was "hopping" around. the rear end was TRYING to move around, front grip was increased, so there was no sliding. NOw, witht he same set up and full stiff bar, the rear end will gently slide as I progressively feed in throttle. I was about 10 seconds slower the last time I was at t-hill (2/26) than when my suspension was fully stock, same powertrain mods....so, it did make a significant difference. Some of the slowness was no doubt due to my lack of confidence in the car as my perception was that it was not responding to what I though were ham-handed inputs. This is the thing about suspension set-up, there are a lot of variables to consider, as well as different theories as to how to set-up the car to go quickly. I know that I eventually need a full coilover set-up. but I am also not fully convinced that, for my driving style, I want to go with the super-loose rear end set-up that RRE goes for. those cars turn, but in the hands of amatuers can also be on the edge of disaster due to their propensity for generous amounts of oversteer. You need to be fully adept at balancing the car with the throttle to fully take advantage of this...and I don't want to be another rolled Evo...so baby steps. But, the car is MUCH better with this small change.

Percy

earlyapex
03-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Percy,

You have -2.6 rear camber?!?!? Uhm, that would be a BIG reason why your car won't turn, and the stiffer sway might just be covering up that problem.

What are your full alignment settings?

hagakure
03-18-2005, 02:35 PM
No....miscommunication. 2.6 FRONT camber...ergo a good deal of front grip, just was out of balance with the rear. 2.6 in the rear, no way the car would turn.

P

earlyapex
03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
No....miscommunication. 2.6 FRONT camber...ergo a good deal of front grip, just was out of balance with the rear. 2.6 in the rear, no way the car would turn.

P

haha ok. What are your alignment settings though? Rear end skipping around sounds like its really stiff.

hagakure
03-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Got to dig them up...was done at Roger Krause racing in hayward...don't have them memorized. The car is 80% better just changing the swaybar settings, however. I may have to re-think what I want out of an allignment at any rate, but I'm going to the lotus day event with the car as is.

Percy

Mark T
03-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Sorry to stray off topic but I'm considering the works springs and would like to know your opinion as to thier comfort level for daily driving.

Mark T
03-19-2005, 05:17 PM
If anyone has responded to my question could you please send another email. My email has been down.

Evo442
03-19-2005, 07:41 PM
If anyone has responded to my question could you please send another email. My email has been down.

Is clearly stiffer than stock. Is fine for my daily driving, but would be annoying in an area with crappy roads.

cerebus
03-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Is it possible the problem could be caused by a bad rear shock? Aren't the shocks supposed to damp movement in the suspension?

Mark T
03-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanx for the feedback.