PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Proxes 4

cerebus
03-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi folks:
I have around 1200 miles on my Toyo Proxes 4 tires and want to report that I've been impressed with these tires for normal street driving. Definitely have a better ride and quieter than the stock Advans.

The sidewalls are more flexible. The tires feel 'bouncier' than the Advans. In normal driving, I don't feel that much difference. Driving harder, the sidewalls will reduce the precision of the steering, there's a delay and you can feel the tires unloading and loading. I think they're ok, but time will tell. I think they're pretty responsive, and didn't expect them to match the Advans in this respect. I was worried that the sidewalls would turn to mush as happened with the Toyo FZ4's I used to own, but so far so good.

They're harder than the Advans, obviously, but I don't notice that cornering. I do notice it braking however. You'll definitely feel the difference. Grip seems fine, but you won't have the glued-to-the-earth feeling you get with the Advans.

I'm happy with them so far, and glad I got them. For normal driving, I think they work fine. They're not like the Advans, which are kind of like skateboard wheels, so you won't get the instant response or the grip, but I really didn't expect that for an all-season tire.

At this point, I'd recommend them to anyone who wants an all-around street performance tire.

Update: I was running these tires at stock pressure, 32/29 f/r. Then tried 33/30. Finally tried 34/31 and this seems perfect. Stiffens the sidewalls up nicely. Not sure I want the rears too much harder as I think the center will start wearing. The fronts might need even more air, but I'm trying to keep at least the stock 3 psi front/rear difference. Very happy with these tires right now.