PDA

View Full Version : service engine soon light

RSpilot
03-21-2005, 08:26 AM
After spinning (and stalling) yesterday My service engine soon light came on. Actually I didn't notice it until I was on my way home, so I don't know if it came on right after the spin, or if it came on as I was driving and that's why I suddenly noticed it?! The only fluid that was low was the intercooler spray bottle (filled it). Light was still on after filling and restarting. Should I just make and appointment w/ the dealer or go to kragens/pep boys for code read? Also, is the "service engine soon" light different from the check engine light?

Option2
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Check Engine Light and Service Engine Soon are the same thing. I would go to Pep Boys / Kragen, etc. to pull the code and go from there.

vtluu
03-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I've triggered a CEL spinning before in my 3G Eclipse. If you're not worried about it and don't want to go anywhere to get it reset, just reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Remember, "In a spin, both feet in." Clutch in so the engine isn't forced to turn backwards and stall, brakes so the car comes to a stop as quickly and predictably as possible (it's easier for other cars to avoid hitting you that way).

RSpilot
03-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Just to update...damn thing went off by itself as I was on my way to get it looked at. :lol:

MadStylez707
03-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Just to update...damn thing went off by itself as I was on my way to get it looked at. :lol:

same thing happened to me awhile ago...but noticed a very slight decline in performance, mostly acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear... i think i might need a factory reflash...

Absinthe
03-30-2005, 04:06 PM
The car runs a full ECU cycle in something like 60 miles chances are you threw a one time code and since it did not rucurr in the next 60 miles the CEL went off.

Unowned
04-05-2005, 03:48 PM

It's still stored in the system for like 30 days or something you can still get the Code