PDA

View Full Version : Sears Point -- Sun. April 3

Richard EVO
03-22-2005, 08:25 PM
There is a SpeedVentures HPDE event at Infineon Raceway at Sears Point on Sunday, April 3. If you have never run Sears Point before, IMHO it is the best racetrack on the west coast. It makes California Speedway roadcourse, with the full Roval and the Infield, look like Streets of Willow.

The cost is $350, which might be on the high side for most tracks, but Sears Point is the most sought after track in the west for a good reason. RacerFactory is referring people, and it gets a discount to $325 and free timing if it refers 5 drivers, and to $300 plus free timing if it refers 10 drivers.

I know most of you NorCal guys have driven Sears Point more than I have, so you know it is an incredible experience that should not be missed by any EVO track hound. If you are interested, sign up at www.speedventures.net and tell them you were referred by RacerFactory so we can try to get the discount.

leif
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
damn too bad i cant do track days on saturday or ill kill myself driving back to school sunday night. have fun, sears point is awsome. turn 8-10 is a wild ride.

dohcvtec
03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll be there the following weekend with NASA. Sears Point is a great track, i've driven it many times. The carousel is my favorite :)

wilson1
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
anyone have a video of the track?

dohcvtec
03-23-2005, 12:09 AM
here is one of me driving a couple years ago, right when i got the del sol, still had stock b16 in it and slow driver :P

ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/mesess4short.wmv

Seems to be the only clip I have online.

earlyapex
03-23-2005, 12:24 AM
here is one of me driving a couple years ago, right when i got the del sol, still had stock b16 in it and slow driver :P

ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/mesess4short.wmv

Seems to be the only clip I have online.

Holy clusterfuck. How many bad lines can everyone in that video do? eeesh. I would be scared to get on track with those people. How did you not drive right back into the pits?

dohcvtec
03-23-2005, 12:30 AM
ya, thats NASA for you :)
Hope mine weren't too off, I dont remember any of that video, Imma check it out again. :P

dohcvtec
03-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Haha, that was entertaining. My favorite part is the vette spinning out near the end. See folks, this is why its nice to go to the more expensive track days, they're usually not filled with people like this. :)

Richard EVO
03-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Holy clusterfuck. How many bad lines can everyone in that video do? eeesh. I would be scared to get on track with those people. How did you not drive right back into the pits?

Yeah, what a bunch of fucknuts. And the guy with the camera in his car got passed about 1,000 times in 7 minutes. But it is still great to watch drivers go 'round the greatest track I have ever driven. Thanks for the link.

earlyapex
03-23-2005, 01:03 AM
And the guy with the camera in his car got passed about 1,000 times in 7 minutes.

pssst.. that's dohcvtec.

:idea:

Richard EVO
03-23-2005, 01:32 AM
pssst.. that's dohcvtec. :idea:

Well, I have obviously stepped in some dog doodoo. But I am from SoCalEvo and have no idea who dohcvtec is. Is he the NorCalEvo equivalent of Goku?

LMFAO.

No offense, dohcvtec. Hope you make it out to Sears Point on April 3. I am an old guy in an RRE/Muellerized RS, and I can be intimidated into pissing my pants at Infineon. :P Just don't try to pass me on a straight unless I bend over and point you by. Of course I am a courteous guy. If you drive a spec-Miata, I show the highest respect (NOT). :D

dohcvtec
03-23-2005, 10:03 AM
lol, thanks buddy!

Yes, that was me driving 2 years ago, I have improved. But thanks for the compliments, you're a sweet heart. That was also during a time that car was my daily and only driver. I'm not as fortunate as others to toss my car into a wall at the track and go pick up a brand new RS. :wink:

earlyapex
03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm not as fortunate as others to toss my car into a wall at the track and go pick up a brand new RS. :wink:

bwahha, OwNeReGeD.

hagakure
03-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Sounds like great fun...but until my Evo is paid of in the next 18mos, no infineon or Laguna for me...I'm restricted to t-hill, buttonwillow, streets, Reno-fernley...and that's ok with me. too many walls, and I've got years to bang up my car...:)

Percy

smack
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
i'd rather pull out a fender than a roof panel, which seems to be more the case at t-hill right now with all the soft mud off track.

either way $350 for a single day at sears is still pretty steep. how many run groups?

if there are only two groups then it makes it more comparable to a two day event with 4 groups at around the same price.

earlyapex
03-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Yea I agree, $350 is insane for a track day. Even it if it is the "UBER" Sears Point.

I could do two track events at Thill or Buttonwillow for that, and probably get more track time per day as well since everyone and their mother goes to Sears Point.

hagakure
03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
i'd rather pull out a fender than a roof panel, which seems to be more the case at t-hill right now with all the soft mud off track.

either way $350 for a single day at sears is still pretty steep. how many run groups?

if there are only two groups then it makes it more comparable to a two day event with 4 groups at around the same price.

I still think T-hill is much safer, overall, and I'm not going to go through turn 8 at 100+.....which is what is happenning on that corner..so, I'll take the soft mud over the hard walls. It's much easier to regulate yourself and drive "within" yourself at a track like t-hill, in my opinion. I have not run at infineon, but have been a spectator at a track day there, and it was interesting how many people started driving over their heads because they were getting passed so often....But those of you that are more experinced and skilled than I am now, have fun!!

P

earlyapex
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Good thinking Percy.

Learning the line and smooth driving is much better than going balls out. Track days are not races so why treat them as such. You would be suprised how much faster you will go when you take things slower.

I'm sure everyone has heard that your "slowest feeling" lap is usually your fastest. It's true.

Turn 8 can be a muther*ker. I spun last year at around 90mph in that corner and if I had done that same spin a year before with alot less track events under my belt I would have flipped my car. Both feet in and turning into the spin saved the car from digging in and flipping. I had enough experience (not saying I am a pro driver) that my first thought as I started spinning was realizing I could not save it and to put both feet in and steer into the spin. When I had less experience I probably would have tried to save it, then been a deer in headlights and flipped.

It took me about 2 track events after that to get my balls out of my body enough to take turn 8 at speeds I felt comfortable with again. My last event in my WRX I was taking that corner at approx 98-100mph. I could have gone a little faster, but I run on street tires and I just didn't think it was worth that extra little time for a track event. I still pass an assload of people and have alot of fun at the track without going bonkers and risking it all.

hagakure
03-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Managing speed is a thing that requires discipline, and patience. I know I'm releatively slow now, but I won't be by the end of the year. And not only that, I'll be faster AND safer knowing my limits. to all the relative newbies, including myself, there is no harm in being passed, it is not a race. And you will have plenty of fun, just using the improvement against yourself as the measure, not by anyone else. My first year of racing bicycles was the most humbling athletic endeavor in my life. I thought I'd just "pick it up easy" after having been a college football player and track and field athlete, but it was a discipline that required fitness and tactics, which take TIME to master. Being fast and efficient in a car takes TIME to master. The concept of fast is relative as well. All the local club hotshoes would be humbled by an upper echelon professional at any of our venues. you could take a young world class driver like Scott Speed, put him in my Evo, and he could go 2:00 flat in the first session...so, I'm in it for the long haul. this is a life-long endeavor that, God willing, I have years to perfect. Meanwhile, I'll not create suffering by undue yearnings and expectations! Let's all be safe and open to learning as much as we can. Peace guys. See ya out there!

Percy

Good thinking Percy.

Learning the line and smooth driving is much better than going balls out. Track days are not races so why treat them as such. You would be suprised how much faster you will go when you take things slower.

I'm sure everyone has heard that your "slowest feeling" lap is usually your fastest. It's true.

Turn 8 can be a muther*ker. I spun last year at around 90mph in that corner and if I had done that same spin a year before with alot less track events under my belt I would have flipped my car. Both feet in and turning into the spin saved the car from digging in and flipping. I had enough experience (not saying I am a pro driver) that my first thought as I started spinning was realizing I could not save it and to put both feet in and steer into the spin. When I had less experience I probably would have tried to save it, then been a deer in headlights and flipped.

It took me about 2 track events after that to get my balls out of my body enough to take turn 8 at speeds I felt comfortable with again. My last event in my WRX I was taking that corner at approx 98-100mph. I could have gone a little faster, but I run on street tires and I just didn't think it was worth that extra little time for a track event. I still pass an assload of people and have alot of fun at the track without going bonkers and risking it all.

dohcvtec
03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
very well put percy.

methods4
03-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Managing speed is a thing that requires discipline, and patience. I know I'm releatively slow now, but I won't be by the end of the year. And not only that, I'll be faster AND safer knowing my limits. to all the relative newbies, including myself, there is no harm in being passed, it is not a race. And you will have plenty of fun, just using the improvement against yourself as the measure, not by anyone else. My first year of racing bicycles was the most humbling athletic endeavor in my life. I thought I'd just "pick it up easy" after having been a college football player and track and field athlete, but it was a discipline that required fitness and tactics, which take TIME to master. Being fast and efficient in a car takes TIME to master. The concept of fast is relative as well. All the local club hotshoes would be humbled by an upper echelon professional at any of our venues. you could take a young world class driver like Scott Speed, put him in my Evo, and he could go 2:00 flat in the first session...so, I'm in it for the long haul. this is a life-long endeavor that, God willing, I have years to perfect. Meanwhile, I'll not create suffering by undue yearnings and expectations! Let's all be safe and open to learning as much as we can. Peace guys. See ya out there!

Percy

Most importantly, regardless of learning, discipline, humbling folks, track times, and all that jazz, let's have fun! I could care less if I don't get any faster. As long as I'm having fun. (and smoking Earlyapex) :P

earlyapex
03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
As long as I'm having fun. (and smoking Earlyapex) :P

I'm so taking you out with melons in turn 8 Tony.

:p

hagakure
03-23-2005, 08:09 PM

Percy

Most importantly, regardless of learning, discipline, humbling folks, track times, and all that jazz, let's have fun! I could care less if I don't get any faster. As long as I'm having fun. (and smoking Earlyapex) :P

Right On!

Percy

Richard EVO
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
lol, thanks buddy!

Yes, that was me driving 2 years ago, I have improved. But thanks for the compliments, you're a sweet heart. That was also during a time that car was my daily and only driver. I'm not as fortunate as others to toss my car into a wall at the track and go pick up a brand new RS. :wink:

No problem, dude. Tossing a 350Z into the wall at Buttonwillow was child's play. Getting my insurance company to pay for it was even easier. I'm a little worried about you calling me a "sweet heart" though. Do you make your living as a florist? Gawd I hope not. :wink:

dohcvtec
03-24-2005, 09:30 PM
lol, thanks buddy!

No problem, dude. Tossing a 350Z into the wall at Buttonwillow was child's play. Getting my insurance company to pay for it was even easier. I'm a little worried about you calling me a "sweet heart" though. Do you make your living as a florist? Gawd I hope not. :wink:
hey man, high tower was a florist, he could kick some ass!!!1!!

Richard EVO
04-04-2005, 09:06 AM
GREAT EVENT at Infineon-Sears Point last Sun. April 3. Not many drivers showed up, so I got about 3 1/2 hours of track time. It was threatening to rain all day but not a drop came down until almost 4:00 p.m.

Had a great time. The round trip to Norcal was worth it. Sorry more of you didn't come out.

cokofellah
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
yep...great event....Sears is my favorite
nice meeting you, btw, Richard

fongster
04-04-2005, 06:44 PM
http://public.fotki.com/fong/roadracingdays_norc/trackevents/sears_point_speed/

pictures

Richard EVO
04-04-2005, 10:25 PM
http://public.fotki.com/fong/roadracingdays_norc/trackevents/sears_point_speed/

pictures