PDA

View Full Version : Question about WORKS IP - O2 bung?

Matz
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone here can tell me if the IP is the best place to have a bung for a wideband O2 sensor. If so, does the WORKS IP have a bung in it already, or can it be custom ordered? I am still waiting for my co-worker to teach me how to weld. :) Also, how long do the wideband O2 sensors typically last?

EVO GRIM
03-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Works pipe has the bung. You better practice awhile before you try to weld thin gauge pipe.

MarkSAE
03-23-2005, 09:55 AM
If you're running a cat, you'll get a more accurate a/f reading if you place the wideband before the cat.

widebands don't like too much heat. If you want it to last, place it far enough away from the turbo, but close enough where it's still in its' operating temperature range. I believe their recommended operating temperature range is between 700-1200F. I'd recommend placing it at the back of downpipe right before the cat.

Matz
03-23-2005, 01:00 PM
If you're running a cat, you'll get a more accurate a/f reading if you place the wideband before the cat.

widebands don't like too much heat. If you want it to last, place it far enough away from the turbo, but close enough where it's still in its' operating temperature range. I believe their recommended operating temperature range is between 700-1200F. I'd recommend placing it at the back of downpipe right before the cat.

Thanks for the advice... so then does the WORKS DP have the bung, too? :) Earlier, EVO GRIM said that the IP has it. Maybe Jamie or Tyler can comment on this one.

MarkSAE
03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
The IP has one bung, but that's supposed to be for the rear o2 sensor. Most aftermarket downpipes will not have an extra bung for a wideband. You'll most likely have to make a special request to get one.

EVO GRIM
03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
My bad I missed the wide band before the sensor. If he goes with a o2 sensor fix will the wideband fit in the o2 bung?

MarkSAE
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I think you still need to have the rear o2 sensor present in order for an electrical rear o2 fix. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but my guess is that it slows down the o2 signal's cycling.

The mechanical o2 sensor fix spaces the o2 sensor out to slow down the signal cycle rate. So you still need another bung for the wideband.

The only way for you not to need a rear o2 sensor is if WORKS reflashes the ECU in a way to make it skip the rear o2 check. ;) Last I heard, I think they're developing something like that. ;)

TylerO@WORKS
03-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Put a test pipe on and put the wide band in the rear o2 sensor bung.

Won't effect performance and will yield good readings. You will get a CEL but we'll have a solution for you guys pretty soon :P