PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning that black stuff off under the wing.

Ben
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
So I want to pull my wing off. Last time I took it off was for getting it re-clearcoated under warranty. There was some black shit there where the wing mounts to the trunk, how do I go about getting it off?

Kings Fan
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
The weather gooey sealant stuff? You can prob get if off with goo-gone

Ben
11-10-2008, 09:07 PM
The weather gooey sealant stuff? You can prob get if off with goo-gone

Oh. Makes sense. Will Goo-gone hurt my paint?

Kings Fan
11-10-2008, 09:24 PM
No, i've used it on cars to get off the glue type stuff that holds the badging to the paint. Goo-gone is pretty mild stuff and works well! You should always try goo-gone on a small area of the paint to see if it does anything, but it shouldn't from what I know.

pjb00stin
11-10-2008, 11:14 PM
also you can try using a heatgun .i need to take my wing off too.i bought a ricer wing that weighs about 200lbs.downforce ftw

DetailAddict
11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
power wash then heatgun then goo gone with a buffer if you can get to it

ChuckP
11-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Yup, I just used a heat gun and rolled it into a ball with my thumb. The a lil' polish. WD40 also works wonders on adhesives.

Bengay- you should hit those stock wheels black. Red W/black wheels is gangsta IMO.

mynx877
11-11-2008, 12:28 AM
nice i was also wondering how to get that goo off

SavageEvo8
11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
also you can try using a heatgun .i need to take my wing off too.i bought a ricer wing that weighs about 200lbs.downforce ftw

+1, EITHER USE A HEAT GUN TO LOOSEN UP THE ADHESIVE, OR DO IT ON A HOT DAY ALSO WORKS. IF YOU TRY DOING IT AT ALL COLD, IT COMES OFF IN SMALL PIECES.....you dont want that. damn this parts catalogs got me all caps'd out. also, things like fishing string can help if your able to work it right, but heat needs to be used there as well.

pjb00stin
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
^^

i think i mite need fishing line to take my wing off.others say just use the heatgun.im just scerred i mite ruin my trunk.

Ben
11-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Yup, I just used a heat gun and rolled it into a ball with my thumb. The a lil' polish. WD40 also works wonders on adhesives.

Bengay- you should hit those stock wheels black. Red W/black wheels is gangsta IMO.

ChuckPenis - I'm thinking of powdercoating them....maybe...

ChuckP
11-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Homorectus- Have you gotten any quotes? I need to get some wheels powder coated but ive been getting quotes for $150-200/wheel! F-that.

Ben
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM

Homorectus- Have you gotten any quotes? I need to get some wheels powder coated but ive been getting quotes for $150-200/wheel! F-that.

Naw, I think I'm gonna pick up a second set of stockers for powdercoating.

pjb00stin
11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
hey ben was it hard to take teh wing off??howd you do it?superhero stregnth?