PDA

View Full Version : Ski/Snowboard roof rack for Evo X?

zergling
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi folks! My search skills are not very good, so let me know if this has been discussed already.

Anyone have/figured out a snowboard roof rack for the Evo X?

This is starting to convince me to just look at an STi, especially with being unable to get a deal from Capitol Mitsubishi yesterday.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I would imagine it would be just like the Evo 8/9, use a lancer one.

I just checked yakima's site, they have racks for the Lancer/Evo X: http://www.yakima.com

I would imagine if you where searching for racks you would have checked Yakima/Thule already? ;)

zergling
11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks Bryan. Don't know why the heck I didn't think of that. I checked it Yakima and it is quite expensive lol. I've got to search around for better prices

Unowned
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm waiting for the Thule one for my X.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks Bryan. Don't know why the heck I didn't think of that. I checked it Yakima and it is quite expensive lol. I've got to search around for better prices

I would cross reference the lancer one too as sometimes companies offer the same product with the price jacked up for the "premium versions"

xbox4414
11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I use to have a MazdaSpeed3....got the Thule kit for it and then when I got the Evo found out no one has a kit for the 08 Lancers....so I thought I'd give it a try and well the Mazda3 kit works on the Evo X.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/xbox4414/evo_x/l_c27d0e5f67a04508d33334b762d35e00.jpg

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 02:26 PM
yea only difference between cars usually are width of the bars and the actual clamp parts.

I reused the Yakima racks from my 04 WRX on my Evo 8 and the only thing I had to change where the clamps (wrx doors where frameless)

zergling
11-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll call REI and maybe even a mitsu dealer. Any other recommendations?

xbox4414, thanks for the pic....now I'm really itching to get a dark grey evo.... :lol:

xbox4414
11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
LOL no need to call REI, I work for an REI. Thule and Yakima have no clips specifically for the Lancer 08 modes. Been there done that. Haha. But like Bryan those kits are pretty much just pick the right load bars, and bases and then get clips that will work. So I found the Mazda3 clips to work and I heard someone say the Toyota Corolla clips work for the Evo X too.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
xbox, do those clips clamp using that L looking bracket and not the hook?

If so I bet the evo 8 and 9 racks would fit.

Where are you located zergling? You can test fit my yakima if you want.

drewm
11-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi folks! My search skills are not very good, so let me know if this has been discussed already.

Anyone have/figured out a snowboard roof rack for the Evo X?

This is starting to convince me to just look at an STi, especially with being unable to get a deal from Capitol Mitsubishi yesterday.

I purchased a GG X SSS for $30099 from Vericom Mitsubishi. Wilson1 also purchased his there for the same price. Capitol wouldn't get within $2k of that price. We've found that the only 2 dealers near here willing to negotiate far below invoice was Vericom and Fresno. You may want to give them a call.

I have a Thule rack for it with 03 Corolla feet, but I haven't done a test fit yet. I got my info from here: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=348686

xbox4414
11-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Bryan I'm guessing this is the L-shaped bracket thing u are talking about...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/xbox4414/IMG_0107.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/xbox4414/IMG_0106.jpg
So yes maybe the 8/9 racks fit the X.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes it looks like the 8/9 rack would fit then. Just need to make sure the cross bars are wide enough.

btw, you might want to put some clear vinyl between those L's and the paint. It will rub on your paint if not.

xbox4414
11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh okay, thanks Bryan. Ya I don't leave them on either. Only go on the day before and come off the day after a trip to the snow. Only think I'm worried about is the fairing and the aluminum roof....

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh okay, thanks Bryan. Ya I don't leave them on either. Only go on the day before and come off the day after a trip to the snow. Only think I'm worried about is the fairing and the aluminum roof....

Roof will be fine, it's not touching it. I have a MR so mine is aluminum as well, no issues.

I would still recommend putting some vinyl on under the clamp part. You'll thank yourself after the season. If you can find clear then you don't have to apply it every time you put the rack on.

Also since you said u take it off and on during the season, I marked where mine went in the door jam with a sharpie, makes putting it back on a cinch, no need to measure anymore. :)

Yay for the rack klan!

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/tahoe012908/tahoe_012907_03.jpg

xbox4414
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Hahaha, That's flippin awesome! I'd probably freak out if I came out to my car looking like that. Hahaha. Ya the fairing touches the roof but it has soft squishy rubber feet. I drove at 80mph and no dents or anything... Also it looks like the Thule Aero kit is higher up thank the Yakima as I don't have a need for risers, plenty of clearance for snowboard bindings. How about a meet and cruse up to a resort for a day of snowboarding? Hahaha. That would tight to get a small caravan of Evo's going to the snow.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Yea my fairing touches my roof too, it won't hurt it.

Here is a photo with even more snow:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/tahoe013008/tahoe_013008_01.jpg

Unowned
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Yea my fairing touches my roof too, it won't hurt it.

Here is a photo with even more snow:

I'm glad X batteries are inside the trunk instead of in the slightly colder engine compartment :)

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm glad X batteries are inside the trunk instead of in the slightly colder engine compartment :)

My hawker genesis mini battery started up every time in tahoe. :)

zergling
11-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Wow lots of replies :lol:

drewm, thanks for the info -- Yohan is on his way to Capitol right now to try to get a deal. If it doesn't work out, I'll give Vericom a call.

xbox4414, I'll PM you if/when I get an X, I honestly am quite clueless which part is what, and what to buy from where.

bryan, I'm in daly city. If I get a hard time, I'll PM you and see if we can test fit it.

Thanks everyone!

xbox4414
11-19-2008, 02:38 AM
NP dude. Ya I work at the REI in Concord and setting up a new rack system can be expensive. I also learned what I want and what is the best. I would probably stick with Thule load bars and the rapid aero kit but instead I would get the Yakima carriers. They are much sleeker. So ya hit me up when you are looking for a new rack I'll help you and we can special order directly from Thule or Yakima if you need.

zergling
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey xbox4414, I'll send you a PM shortly.

I ended up with an '08 STi w/ BBS package. While mitsu couldn't offer me a decent APR, Stevens Creek Subaru got me 0% for 63 months. I'm very happy with the deal.....though the gf/wife still wants the Evo much more :lol:

...hoping not to get flamed and kicked out for not getting an evo..... :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
FYI I took a look at a yakima rack installed on a 10 last week, same uprights and clamps as Evo 8/9

Congrats on the 08 STi!

xbox4414
11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Post some pics up! Hopefully NCE isn't full of fan boys who can't accept anyone getting other than a Mitsu....this is a car loving community right? That's why I say congrats on the new purchase! Now you better take it to the track! LOL. Is it blue with gold BBS's? Sammy took one to Thunderhill to just drive in a support car. They are good looking cars. I think the WRX/STi hatch look way better than the Mitsu Ralliart hatch they are coming out with....

zergling
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks bryan!

xbox and I have pm'd each other, and we'll figure it out from there.

I did not opt for the classic blue and gold, as the only one they had was equipped with navi, don't need it with the hundreds of choices of cheap portable units out there. Plus the dark grey metallic was more appealing to me.

I've been lurking the evo x specific forums for quite a while now, folks here seem very nice btw! =)

Antics22
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
here's a comprehensive breakdown on what you need for the Yakima rack for the X!

Hope it helps!
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=48012.0

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/15351/Picture%20017.jpg

jondimellow
01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
i just got my roof rack installed today for the X! i got it with the big powder hound attachment (fits four boards) for under $350. pm me for details!