PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D300

overdrive
11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
My plan for this year during black Friday is to purchase a Nikon d300 SLR camera for my wife and I.

Is this camera even good? I've read a lot of reviews on it, and read the following "minor" blunders in it:

The only blunders of the D300 are merely trivial annoyances. The hackers haven't discovered any vast-conspiracy-style flaws like the banding of the D200 or the blinking green lights of death of the D70. (Nikon fixed all those under warranty.)

1.) Auto ISO is still partially defective in manual exposure mode. It doesn't automatically deactivate when you go to manual exposure! You have to go to the menus to turn it off in manual exposure, otherwise the D300 tries its best to screw with your manual exposures. The D300 needs an additional menu option labeled "Deactivate Auto ISO during Manual Exposure?"

2.) Continuous advance modes do not work with the built-in flash. That's right, every D300 is defective by design such that you only get one shot in the Cl or Ch modes with built-in flash!

I didn't believe this when I read it on page 175 of my USA manual, but I kid you not: I only get one shot in C advance modes with built-in flash. It works OK with an SB-400, SB-600 or SB-800. A nice touch which doesn't quite make up for the built-in flash fiasco is that the in-finder bar graph now shows by how much the ambient light is underexposed when you get darker than the slowest flash sync speed.

Nikon probably did this to prevent pros from melting the pop-up flash from overuse, but Nikon should have fortified the circuitry, not locked us out from using it.

3.) The Fn button can only be programmed to do half of what it does on the D200. Specifically, on my D200 I have it set for flash exposure lock and hold, and to allow me to enter the focal length and speed of manual focus lenses for matrix metering. On the D300, I only can get one of those functions and have to trudge through menus to get the other function.

4.) Manual lens data now only can be entered though deep menus. Once entered (only 9 lenses maximum, and each setting on a zoom takes one memory) you might be able to select among them with the Fn button, but forget easy, instant direct adjustment as you change lenses as you can on the D200. The D300 is similar to the F6 (10 memories), but the F6 makes better use of the Fn button.

5.) Custom function e4, modeling flash, is still set ON by default. This can cause blindness since it fires off a long, unexpected burst of flash when you hit the depth-of-field button. The first thing I did on my D300 after I cranked the saturation all the way up was to set e4 to OFF. (page 298, USA manual.)

6.) I'm really reaching for this one, but the AF sensor indicator on the top LCD always shows the center sensor or group, regardless of which are actually selected. Press the "info" button and it displays correctly on the rear LCD.

7.) You know the D300 is an amateur camera because the annoying moron BEEP is ON by default. In the professional D3, the annoy-everyone beep is off by default.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

BOOSTonHanD
11-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you need to save up for the D3.. :?

steevo8
11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Or switch to a canon. :D

Fa-Q
11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I was flipping through the new Costco coupon book i got in the mail yesterday and i saw a coupon for $300 off the Nikon.

overdrive
11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Sounds like you need to save up for the D3.. :?

It's an excellent SLR, but that's bank for me bro.

Or switch to a canon. :D

I've not looked into canons yet stevo. What is a good cannon SLR for an amateur like me?

I want a cannon that will last me for a while that can be stepped up to the semi-pro level.

I was flipping through the new Costco coupon book i got in the mail yesterday and i saw a coupon for $300 off the Nikon.

Just found out about that offer today. My wife's co-worker told her about that too.

Might go and check it out later.

Fa-Q
11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
^I do not know the price. The coupon did not say, just said $300 off.

If you looking for a Canon, they have a loyalty program. Trade ANY Canon digital camera, even if it's broken, for a refurbished Rebel SLR (6 month warranty) with lens for $299. (about $315 shipped). Just call Canon and ask them about it.

I don't even know why i know about these deals, i don't know shit about cameras.

overdrive
11-20-2008, 11:02 AM
^I do not know the price. The coupon did not say, just said $300 off.

If you looking for a Canon, they have a loyalty program. Trade ANY Canon digital camera, even if it's broken, for a refurbished Rebel SLR (6 month warranty) with lens for $299. (about $315 shipped). Just call Canon and ask them about it.

I don't even know why i know about these deals, i don't know shit about cameras.

I just checked out the costco website. It's $2239.99 after the $300 savings.

Anyways, too bad my wife and I do not have any canon digital camera to trade in. We have an olympus though. LOL!

I too have no knowledge on SLR cameras. I got hooked after trying out my co-workers canon rebel xs. He told me his camera is getting old. He highly recommended me to purchase a Nikon for it's reputation and excellent photo quality. I really think it depends on how you take the picture (light exposure, settings, etc.).

I'm really debating if a $2000+ camera is right for me. Besides not having any knowledge on SLR cameras, I also do not have ANY experience taking pictures with an SLR camera before. I have to be honest, taking pictures with my co-workers rebel XS was actually my first time handling an SLR! I realized that I have to settle for an SLR that is a little cheaper to get the feel for it first. It's like me jumping into an F1 car without even going to driving school. LOL!

When it comes to Nikon, I am looking at a D60 or D90. For canon, it's either a 40D or rebel XSi. I'm still reading up on reviews on the canons.

steevo8
11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
The new 50D is pretty bad ass. Considering you dont have any experience with SLR's I think the 50D should last you a really long time. The image quality your most likely looking for can come from something old and cheap with a decent lens. The lens is whats most important. All the other BS is just stuff that is nice to have once you completely learn SLR's(it will take a few years). I shoot with a 20D which just a few years ago was a camera body that some pros were using. Chances are that just a few years ago you were seeing a ton of pics in magazines shot with the 20D/30D and they were very pleasing to the eye. Canons are a bit easier to get lenses for for a decent price so that was my main attraction to them, on top of that I didnt really care for the interface on the nikons. The nikon D200/D300(never looked at higher stuff since its out of my range) felt a little better in my hand and the overall feel was really good but using it was not as comfortable to me. IMO you should save your self a shit ton of money and buy a used 20D/30D and spend the rest on lenses. Later on then you can upgrade bodies. I know personally I would MUCH rather have a couple nice L lenses and a cheap body then a expensive body with a so-so lens.

Heres an example why. So you want to shoot a pic of your car with the sun setting and you have a 40D with the 28-135IS USM 3.5-5.6(kit lens) and you dont have a tripod. In order to make that shot real crisp and clear youll need to shoot with a larger aperture and slower shutter speed as well as possibly crank u the iso some. So the shot will turn out good but it will be very close to along the lines of a point and shoot camera where the car and background all look the same and nothing really pops.

Now say you take that same shot but with a 20D(used for about $350-$400) and you and a 2.8L lens youll be able to open the aperture up some(creating a much better looking background) and also increase the shutter speed some as will s shoot with a lower iso. The shot turns out much cleaner, crisper, and just overall more appealing. So for $1300 you get a 40D youll eventually want to buy another lens for but cant sell the one it came with for much or for $1300 you could get a 20D/30D with a couple really good lenses, a nice tripod and a decent bag. Now your completely setup with a bunch of gear that will be far more capable then youll ever need. Later on down the road, you sell the body and buy the latest and greatest and your set without needing anything else.

Im sure the same goes for the Nikon lineup I just use the canon stuff since Im not familiar with the nikon lineup. I do know that there is a noticeable difference in IQ at higher iso with the lower end canon stuff(20d/30d) compared to the nikon stuff below the d200. My 20D creates far less noise at 800iso then even the d200 and the d200 is a much more expensive body. That was also a huge selling point for me since I shoot a lot of low light stuff.

overdrive
11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I'll look into the 50D stevo.

Anyways, the lens is the one that's important when taking a picture. My co-worker said the same thing.

I still need to look up some of the terms you mentioned like Aperture and IQ. My bad coz I am really new into this bro.

I read up on photography and found out that the best image quality is usually obtained at the lowest ISO setting on a camera. It really depends on where your location is and what type of picture are you taking because the higher the ISO number, the greater the light sensitivity.

Sample pics would be great that can explain apertures, iso, IQ, the shutter speed used, etc.

Thanks!

steevo8
11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
IQ is image quality. Aperture is basically how much light the camera lets in to the sensor(film). A higher number means LESS light comes in and a lower number means MORE. The more light the camera has coming in the faster the shutter speed can be. So for instance, my lens is a 3.5-5.6.. The absolute most light or largest aperture I can get from it would be 3.5. A "faster" lens would be a 2.8. It opens up more and lets more light in there for letting the shutter speed be increased and capture the same amount of data. Aperture also effects the depth of field. The larger the aperture the shallower depth of field you will have and vise versa.

So as an example. This is shot with a prime lens(fixed length/no zoom) 50mm f/1.8. Very fast making it good in low light. Its also a VERY cheap lens and woth having(used for like $80). The shot was set with a focus on the glasses with a wide open aperture(f/1.8) giving it a very shallow depth of field. that blurred background effect is called bokeh. Now if that shot was taken with a smaller aperture then you would be able to clearly make out the cell phone in the back ground.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/yatakitumbi/RIMG_2874.jpg.

ISO is the sensors(films) sensitivity. lower is always better for IQ but sometimes when light is low you need to compromise iso for a faster shutter speed or a larger aperture. When the iso gets higher it heats up the sensor and causes noise, which is the speckles you see in a lot of darker shots.

overdrive
11-20-2008, 12:45 PM
^^Thanks for the explanation man.^^

that blurred background effect is called bokeh. Now if that shot was taken with a smaller aperture then you would be able to clearly make out the cell phone in the back ground.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/yatakitumbi/RIMG_2874.jpg.

When the iso gets higher it heats up the sensor and causes noise, which is the speckles you see in a lot of darker shots.

What do you call the opposite of bokeh? I mean taking a picture with a blurry foreground, but clear and crisp background just like this:
http://www.bagelturf.com/files/page0_blog_entry996_2.jpg

My co-worker was telling me about noise and light exposure the other day, but I just can't seem to understand him. I now can relate better after reading your explanation.

BOOSTonHanD
11-20-2008, 02:33 PM
This site will help with the basics of photography.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

overdrive
11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
^^Thanks bro!^^

BOOSTonHanD
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
If you can afford it, get the Nikon D300, Its one of the best general cameras currently out. Canon 50D also looks nice..

Specs for both cameras..
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos50d%2Cnikon_d300&show=all

steevo8
11-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Or just be a baller and wait till the 5D comes out.

overdrive
11-20-2008, 07:18 PM
If you can afford it, get the Nikon D300, Its one of the best general cameras currently out. Canon 50D also looks nice..

Specs for both cameras..
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos50d%2Cnikon_d300&show=all

It's good that you showed that link coz I was thinking of getting the either the 50D (canon), or the D90 (Nikon). D300 is a little pricey for me.

Or just be a baller and wait till the 5D comes out.

That would be baller pricing for sure.

I'm limiting my budget to not more than $1200 for an SLR body. I'll just find a decent lens for it, then upgrade it later on.

Thanks for the input guys!

steevo8
11-20-2008, 07:33 PM
the 50D is a awesome camera, my only hold back is that a 30D is about 90% as good for less then 1/2 the price.

Btw there's a slr newbie post on evom done by a member over there that's worth the read.

overdrive
11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
the 50D is a awesome camera, my only hold back is that a 30D is about 90% as good for less then 1/2 the price.

Btw there's a slr newbie post on evom done by a member over there that's worth the read.

I'll take a look at that stevo.

Thanks again!

spnsprt
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
so i actually have a d300 and the problems that you mentioned earlier have yet to actually be a problem for me. i think it's an awesome body and unless i have an extra 3k for a d3 i would say i'm completely satisfied

that being said i don't know if you should get it for a first camera, its pretty expensive and you might want to make sure you like photography first before you drop the cash on a high end amatuer/low end pro cam like the d300.

i've been into photography for about 4 years now and my old d70 served me perfectly well for 3 of them and now that i do alot of events the d300 has replaced.

i don't want to make this sound like a shamless plug but i'm selling my d70 with the kit lens which is jammed (it doesn't go through the whole zoom range) but it's basically at the price for the body only and i'm throwing in the bag, memory card, mini tripod, and infrared remote with it. so if you were thinking about paying 2k for a d300 you could buy mine which would leave you 1500 for lenses which could let you get some pretty great glass. (you wouldn't be using the stock lens even if it wasn't jammed anyways...)

and with 1500 you could get the legendary 17-35mm or the nikon standard 18-200 VR lens that everyone uses for 99% of all their shots because it's an awesome lens

anyways just throwing it out there, here are some links to my camera and the two lenses i mentioned
my cam: http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,33347.0.html
17-35: http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/1960/AF-S-Zoom-NIKKOR-17-35mm-f/2.8D-IF-ED.html
18-200vr: http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2159/AF-S-DX-VR-Zoom-NIKKOR-18-200mm-f/3.5-5.6G-IF-ED.html

steevo8
11-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Very good points and the d70 is fully capable. Check out Bryans pics of Pauls car at the salt flats. That was taken with a d70 and they look awesome.

overdrive
11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
that being said i don't know if you should get it for a first camera, its pretty expensive and you might want to make sure you like photography first before you drop the cash on a high end amatuer/low end pro cam like the d300.

anyways just throwing it out there, here are some links to my camera and the two lenses i mentioned
my cam: http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,33347.0.html
17-35: http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/1960/AF-S-Zoom-NIKKOR-17-35mm-f/2.8D-IF-ED.html
18-200vr: http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2159/AF-S-DX-VR-Zoom-NIKKOR-18-200mm-f/3.5-5.6G-IF-ED.html

My wife actually told me the same thing last night. She told me that the d300 may not be an ideal camera for us because it's a little on the pricey side and both of us don't have any knowledge and experience with photography at all.

I've read a lot of reviews on SLR cameras last night and decided that the Canon 50D is the right camera for us. It's a good starter camera for amateurs. I'll just upgrade the lens later on.

Thanks for the offer though.

steevo8
11-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I think for a new camera the 50D will do you very good. If you ever need any help feel free to pm me. I'm no pro but a have a pretty good understanding of how things function. Now go sign up on photography on the net(canon forum) and start your reading. There's a few Nce members on there including myself as well.

overdrive
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I think for a new camera the 50D will do you very good. If you ever need any help feel free to pm me. I'm no pro but a have a pretty good understanding of how things function. Now go sign up on photography on the net(canon forum) and start your reading. There's a few Nce members on there including myself as well.

Thanks stevo!

I really appreciate all the input I got from you and for the rest who posted.

I'll definitely PM if you if I need help.

BOOSTonHanD
11-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Photography-on-the.net (http://Photography-on-the.net/forum) is a great site..

username = DEMO

cire
11-22-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm also with spnsprt and own a Nikon D300. I used to own a D40 and eventually grew out of it.

I think both systems are very capable, neither have a giant advantage against the next. Canon and Nikon seem to leapfrog each other in the technological advancements. Canon was ahead of Nikon in making full frame DSLR bodies.

I find low actuation count D300s on craigslist all the time. D200s ($600-1000) even cheaper since there are so many people that stepped up to the 300 and now more are jumping for the D700. So, maybe buying a used DSLR might be worth it before you jump into a new camera body along with lens.

I think another factor is to actually use and play with the two different systems. They are very different in terms of their menu structures, button placement, feel of the body in your hand. I just seemed to like the way the Nikons look and feel, the shutter sound is different, the use a direction pad rather than a scroll wheel. It's just little nuances like that you should pay attention to before you pick the platform.

Even though I'm a Nikon user, I still like Canon lens a lot. They make beautiful L-lens that are built like friggin tanks. They're just beasts and not to mention expensive!

I hope my rant help. =)

spnsprt
11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Yea i personally like the nikon feel alot better, i like having two scroll wheels rather than one, its really not a big deal though

steevo8
11-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Yea i personally like the nikon feel alot better, i like having two scroll wheels rather than one, its really not a big deal though

Hmmm :? The canon has two as well. One on the index finger and one on the thumb. That is unless Im not understanding what your getting at..

Honestly what really swayed me to canon is having so many friends with canons and I can barrow their gear. Its nice to know you need something for a specific shoot and just be able to bum it from a friend instead of renting it or buying it. :lol:

cire
11-23-2008, 03:16 AM
i was talking bout the scroll wheel on the back to toggle through the menus. not the ones at the thumb and shutter. i like the direction pad of the nikon better than the canon wheel.

just a preference.

DaveLC2
11-23-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm also with spnsprt and own a Nikon D300. I used to own a D40 and eventually grew out of it.

I think both systems are very capable, neither have a giant advantage against the next. Canon and Nikon seem to leapfrog each other in the technological advancements. Canon was ahead of Nikon in making full frame DSLR bodies.

I find low actuation count D300s on craigslist all the time. D200s ($600-1000) even cheaper since there are so many people that stepped up to the 300 and now more are jumping for the D700. So, maybe buying a used DSLR might be worth it before you jump into a new camera body along with lens.

I think another factor is to actually use and play with the two different systems. They are very different in terms of their menu structures, button placement, feel of the body in your hand. I just seemed to like the way the Nikons look and feel, the shutter sound is different, the use a direction pad rather than a scroll wheel. It's just little nuances like that you should pay attention to before you pick the platform.

Even though I'm a Nikon user, I still like Canon lens a lot. They make beautiful L-lens that are built like friggin tanks. They're just beasts and not to mention expensive!

I hope my rant help. =)

Very good points! I like both Nikon and Canon but I prefer Nikon over Canon like I prefer the Evo over the STi. One thing you could also do is rent a camera body and lens from Nikon & Canon to compare them at your own leisure. It's kind of hard to get the full feel at a camera store. Going with a used body is most likely what I am going to do. You should consider a D200 or a 40D from Canon. I really like the feel of the 40D. Both can be found with light use and low shutter actuations as mentioned.

Here's a link to rent gear.

http://borrowlenses.com/

Dave

spnsprt
11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
you can also buy it at ritz and you et like a week to return it... kinda shady though

cire
11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
or buy from costco and return in 90 days. =)

e8
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
It totally comes down to preference. Both the 50D and D300 are extremely capable cameras. Since you are not invested in either company, I implore you to consider some points (or opinions from me).

Canon:
-Canon has a professional line up of fixed focal length lenses (primes), Nikon does not. Primes aren't for everyone, but as you shoot more, you MAY like them... a lot.
-Canon lenses, in general, are cheaper than Nikon lenses. Quality between two comparable lenses (ie 24-70 f/2.8) are not always equal, the Nikon having the definite edge. But, for the most part, professional grade lenses from either company will yield fantastic images.
-Canon has had some foibles in the recent past. 1D MKIII AF fiasco comes to light. Also, in my opinion, I don't think Canon has the "photographer" in mind when they develop new cameras. I think they consult their marketing department too often (ie. dumping unnecessary megapixels into cameras and increasing unnecessary noise). I think their marketing strategy has become more apparent, and I am a bit frustrated with their direction.

Nikon
-Nikon has pretty much "caught up" to Canon with their current generation of cameras, and in many respects, surpassed Canon. Nikon has been more willing to dump "professional" features in their prosumer and consumer bodies, which is something Canon has a hard time doing (see direction above). Thus, Nikon appears to actually give its users what they want.
-I kinda view the functionality of Nikons to be similar to a Mac. They give you functions (ie- grid lines in the viewfinder) that are NICE to have that just don't appear in Canons (you can get them in Canons, but you have to swap the focus screen, annoying). You have to use both, and see which you prefer.

IQ between both companies are pretty much equal. Both companies have great noise suppression. Honestly, if it's a great time to be in the market for a camera because you are choosing between two, in my eyes, equal companies who are finally competing against each other (on level playing ground) and spurring new, great technology. 3 years ago when I got my 30D, Canon had the clear upper hand. If I were in your shoes, and didn't have any lens loyalty to either company, I would shoot Nikon. Get the D300, but the only thing that makes me weary about the camera is that it is now "old" technology. Woops, I totally said it comes down to preference, and it does, so yes, shoot both and see which you prefer (ergonomics, handling, and functionality). But honestly... go Nikon.

Of course, here I am... getting the 5D MkII any day now. My "negative" sentiments about Canon could be erased... or further compounded. We shall see...

steevo8
11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
there's also a substancial price difference to consider. The 50D with a 28-135 IS USM lens is only about $1500, the D300 as a kit is still around $2200-$2300 I believe.. B&H has the 50D with a 18-200 IS right now for like $1600 which is a pretty darn good combo for the price if your looking for versatility. That leaves extra dollaz for a flash/bag/tripod/uv&polarized filter.

steevo8
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Pull the trigger yet? If not there's a tone of GREAT deals on CL right now. All kinds of people are selling their 40D's to get the new 5D mark II. $700 for 40D is nuts. So for the same cost as a 50D with 28-135 3.5-5.6 you can get. 40D with a 24-105 2.8L. That combo is truelly what a majority of pros use still and in the next 200,000 clicks you won't be able to out shoot it.

Also if you buy it now off bay through LIVE you can get the 30% microsoft cash back and even add a eBay 10% coupon to it. :shock:

spnsprt
12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
hey steve, what's CL stand for?

steevo8
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
craigs list. Come on now are you new :lol:

spnsprt
12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
yea i just figured that out as i was looking around on craigslist, feel like a moron now

RgistRdShowoffIX
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I think in terms of practicality the D90 is the best buy if you compare it to the 50D. It's smaller, lighter and has comparable functionality for a lower price point still. The D90 is a D300 in a D80 body which makes portability easy. I own a D80 and I'm able to walk around with this under my jacket. The feeling the 40D/30D gave me when i was testing was that it was really oversized. Big is nice (the fit in hand feeling is inspiring) but weight can be an issue if you're just going to do normal traveling (ie my trip to HK). I don't think I can imagine myself walking around HK with a D300 over my shoulder. Both 300 and 50 are comparable in size.

Just something to consider, I think.

BOOSTonHanD
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Don't get hung up on the size of the bodies, they're pretty much similer [other then the 1D series and D3]. I'd consentrate more on your needs, and what the camera offers. If your just starting out the D90 seems to be the best bang for the buck, the D300 would be runner up, and then the Canon 50D bringing up the rear.

steevo8
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
best bang for the buck, the Canon 50D bringing up the rear.

How do you figure? Theres a substantial price difference between the two and the d300 is barely a better body. Either way I would just buy a 40D for $650-$700.

RgistRdShowoffIX
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd trust Boosted's judgment since he's played on both sides of the ball.

of course I'm biased being a Nikon owner. xD

spnsprt
12-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Can anyone break down what the diff canon naming systems are compared to nikon ie a rebel is like a d70 and what series lenses are like DX lenses and stuff? i always get confused when ppl talk about canon gear

steevo8
12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Can anyone break down what the diff canon naming systems are compared to nikon ie a rebel is like a d70 and what series lenses are like DX lenses and stuff? i always get confused when ppl talk about canon gear

yeah Im just the opposite. As for bodies go the rebel line now has a tone of stuff with the XT/XTI/XS/XSI and then the 1.6 sensor crop bodies are the 20d/30d/40d/50d(not sure where the 10D falls) then into full frames with the 5D/5D mark II, 1D/1D mark II/1D mark III/1Ds markIII (Although the 1D is a 1.3 sensor)

RgistRdShowoffIX
12-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Canon series:: Nikon series

XT/XS = D40,40x,60

20-50D = D50,70(s),80,90 (maybe D100-300 too?)

5D (mkII) = D700

1D (s, Mk 1-3) = D3(x)

---------

As for lenses, Canon has a distinct L line for pro grade glass compared to their prosumer/consumer models. The main difference is the EF (Full) vs. EF-S (digital). IS means the same as VR in Nikon speak.

Nikon's line doesn't seem to have a distinguishing mark that I've really noticed besides plastic vs. metal bodies. FX aren't explicitly labled on Nikon lenses but DX is.

----------

lol i know I'm wrong somewhere in there.

BOOSTonHanD
12-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Specs for Canon 50D, D300, and the D90.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos50d%2Cnikon_d300%2Cnikon_d90&show=all

My reasoning for choosing the D90 as the "Best bang for the buck" is its specs, its basically a Canon 50D with a $200 cheaper price tag, and it gives you HD video recording. Of course it is lacking 15mp, and the 6.3 frames per second which I don't think are that important.

Here is a size comparison just so you have an idea [D300 might be slightly bigger or the same as the Canon 50D]..
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD90/images/preview/sidebyside1.jpg

link if you can't see it:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD90/images/preview/sidebyside1.jpg

steevo8
12-03-2008, 08:53 AM
I agree with you on the D90, awesome camera for sure and so far I hear a lot of good things about it. I just think that to jump up to the D300 a lot of the bang for the buck goes away.

overdrive
12-04-2008, 03:09 AM
After much research (I mean a lot of research), I just got the D90 instead. Just like what BOOSTonHanD had said, it's basically like the D50, but cheaper, smaller, and with lesser features. It's with the wife right now and she is out of town. D300 is a definitely a nice SLR camera, but is just too overkill for a starter like me.

I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks for the input guys!

steevo8
12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
congrats on the new purchase, now get to reading on how to use it.

RgistRdShowoffIX
12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
yes congrats on the purchase. :)

Here's a place to start. it's not much but it helps with basics.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Digital-SLR/25446-Nikon-D90/Video/digitutor/eng/d90/index.html

overdrive
12-04-2008, 11:34 PM
^^Will do!^^

Thanks again guys.