PDA

View Full Version : Stevo8's motor #5 RUNS!

steevo8
11-29-2008, 10:45 PM
So my car actually runs again. 8) No leaks... Yet... Idles and even moves under its own power!!!!!! :shock:

EV0LL
11-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Congrats! You sprinkle that one with some holy water or something this time? Attach a couple four leaf clovers, etc.... :)

KevOVIII
11-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Quick, get it blessed!!!! lol j/k

wilson1
11-29-2008, 11:41 PM
awesome!

awdaddict
11-29-2008, 11:47 PM
congrats :wave:

*stressed evo guy*
11-29-2008, 11:57 PM
grats......... :)

mtsevovii
11-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Yet...

: x

smack
11-30-2008, 12:11 AM
congrats!
so was there a bad seal or something at first?

jbfoco
11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
sweeet... were gonna blow it up tomorrow dont get to excited

awdaddict
11-30-2008, 12:26 AM

:shock:

:shifty:

turboevo8
11-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Congrats.

steevo8
11-30-2008, 01:15 AM
congrats!
so was there a bad seal or something at first?

So I picked the motor up last sat from... Ill give you one guess!!!! Yeah My friend had it stored there :( Any ways long story short, the oil pump cover was leaking and dripping down to the crank and getting onto the timing belt and just flinging it everywhere. Im Honestly very puzzed at how something like this could happen with a motor that was pulled directly from the car in perfect running order, wrapped in plastic and stored for 5 months... :?

gohdunlam
11-30-2008, 02:17 AM
you sure if it's that motor still o.O good luck!

whtrice
11-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Josh has bad intentions already...Ohhhh Nooo!!.... :lol:

bricel24
11-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Congrats!

joshesh
11-30-2008, 08:34 AM
good to hear your car is close to being back on the road ;)

Now don't let Bryan blow it up, make him do a super-conservative-don't-blow-this-time tune.

TcJayLee
11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Congrats! Do your best to prolong the life of this one! :D

MarkSAE
11-30-2008, 09:29 AM
So I picked the motor up last sat from... Ill give you one guess!!!! Yeah My friend had it stored there :( Any ways long story short, the oil pump cover was leaking and dripping down to the crank and getting onto the timing belt and just flinging it everywhere. Im Honestly very puzzed at how something like this could happen with a motor that was pulled directly from the car in perfect running order, wrapped in plastic and stored for 5 months... :?

Yeah, something doesn't add up. A crank seal should not go that bad from just sitting around like that.

Did you replace the timing belt? Belts do not like getting soaked w/ oil.

steevo8
11-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's bryans fault for not checking the "don't break timing belt" box when he tuned the car.

steevo8
11-30-2008, 09:35 AM
It wasn't a seal. The oil pump cover was just REALLY loose :?

The timing belt should be fine. I hit it with simple green and clean it up the best I could directly after starting the car.

Yeah, something doesn't add up. A crank seal should not go that bad from just sitting around like that.

Did you replace the timing belt? Belts do not like getting soaked w/ oil.

MarkSAE
11-30-2008, 09:40 AM

The timing belt should be fine. I hit it with simple green and clean it up the best I could directly after starting the car.

Damn, that's really odd for a motor that was supposedly unmolested before. I'd be super paranoid and go over every single bolt on the motor. After all the motor troubles you've gone through, I say it's better to be safe than sorry!

steevo8
11-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Damn, that's really odd for a motor that was supposedly unmolested before. I'd be super paranoid and go over every single bolt on the motor. After all the motor troubles you've gone through, I say it's better to be safe than sorry!

Yeah I did. Sat there last night with the manual and a torque wrench going over everything. It was all fine except the three bolts that were loose on the oil pump cover.

chrisw
11-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Yeah I did. Sat there last night with the manual and a torque wrench going over everything. It was all fine except the three bolts that were loose on the oil pump cover.

that's weird...

good luck with #5....

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Where there tool marks on the three bolts on that motor that was pulled from a car and stored for 5 months?

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Now don't let Bryan blow it up, make him do a super-conservative-don't-blow-this-time tune.

Lol that's what it had last time.

Ben
11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's bryans fault for not checking the "don't break timing belt" box when he tuned the car.

I've been telling people this all along!

sprytsi
11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Congrats

Good luck with this one stevo!

jbfoco
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Where there tool marks on the three bolts on that motor that was pulled from a car and stored for 5 months?

yep...

steevo8
11-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey look! It moved!!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/3073670358_64544f80dd_o.jpg

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Was that shot with your new lense? If so it looks like it needs an alignment.

steevo8
11-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Was that shot with your new lense? If so it looks like it needs an alignment.

It was actually a bracketed shot cause I was trying to get a HDR out of it but the focus was all jacked up. The car on the other hand needs an alignment BAD. I want my man like camber back.

SpinOne05
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Congrats Steve. What is the current mod list on #5?

steevo8
11-30-2008, 11:52 PM
STEVO8 spec, IX turbo, exhaust manifold, intake manifold.
Titek V1 o2 housing
3" exhaust with a 16" long resonator only(no muffler, no cat)
ETS short route uicp
AMS licp
AGP fmic
RC1000's
walbro 255

The car will be tuned with no cams, on just 91oct for awhile. Sometime after I get a few track days in, the plan is to do pretty big cams. Most likely the buscher cams, L19 head studs, and most likely a CBRD turbo. For now though its gonna stay pretty much stock.

joshesh
12-01-2008, 07:16 AM
^how's it running now stevo? Can you at least go get some groceries in it yet?

steevo8
12-01-2008, 08:52 AM
It runs fine.. The tune is for revolvers though so the idle is at 1400rpm which sucks but other then that it drives fine.

1SloEvo
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats on the ride Steve! Glad you have it running good now!

steevo8
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
thanks man. Hopefully I can get it corner balanced and aligned this weekend and maybe a tune next week. I'll be interested to see what kind of numbers it does on stock cams and 91water. It's going to be pretty gay driving a slow Evo but at least I'll get to drive it.

1SloEvo
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah...driving slow in something you're paying for is definitely better than not driving at all!

steevo8
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah it just kinda defeats the purpose of buying a evo though. 300hp is pretty slow on 91oct. Once I can track down the other half of the wideband I have access to Ill most likely have Bryan do like a 23psi E85 tune so at least I can keep up with some family sedans.

Ben
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Was your Evo not able to keep up with family sedans at 300 awhp or something? I think Bryan did something wicked to my tune then 'cause for some reason I can easily play with some wicked cars on 300whp...

sprytsi
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I do just fine on the street with 266awhp and have met few cars that could challenge me.

Are you granny shifting and leaving a brick behind your gas pedal?

steevo8
12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Well at 320/310 and ran a low 12@116mph I still had a problem hanging with a M5 after 100, and I got pulled on by a porsche turbo suv thingy when I had 315hp so yeah maybe its faulty :? I know they are kinda fast but they arent anything special. Imagine what a real sports car with some minor mods would do.. Embarrassing.

1SloEvo
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
That's what built motors with big-ish turbos are for! ;)

Ben
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM

If I ever decided to get a big turbo I'd do that game where you put $100 on the dash and tell the passenger to grab it while I accelerate.

steevo8
12-02-2008, 12:08 AM

If I could make the same amount of power as Scott does I would be perfectly happy. Peak numers isnt something that bothers me, its the spool and torque you dont get on 91 that bugs the hell out of me. Anything sub 300tq on our cars sucks imo. Sure it might be faster then some stuff but at the same time, I didnt spend all this money to be faster then some stuff. If it was ONLY a track car I wouldnt worry about power, and Ill actually be running a very small amount at the track for awhile, but I bought a car thats capable of being fast to have a fast car. 300/300 is step in the right direction if your use to civics and wrx's.

Its a drug for sure and coming from owning a high compression built sport bike, and hanging out with friends that would let you ride their stretched Hayabusa's with nitrous or 190hp race prepped liter bikes to a 300hp 3000+ lb car is hardly an adrenaline fix.

If I ever decided to get a big turbo I'd do that game where you put $100 on the dash and tell the passenger to grab it while I accelerate.

yeah you better start at like 80mph then or brake boost the hell out of it cause they dont really set you back in your seat...

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-02-2008, 01:25 AM
and I got pulled on by a porsche turbo suv thingy when I had 315hp so yeah maybe its faulty :?

Remind me to laugh at you next time I see you for getting pulled on by a cayenne pepper.

1SloEvo
12-02-2008, 07:42 AM
:lol:

steevo8
12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah it sucked, but that thing was kinda quick.

Devin@SpeedElement
12-02-2008, 09:05 AM
congrats Steve. Let me know if there's anything else that you need to build this motor or your other motor

steevo8
12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks Devin I REALLY appreciate all your guys help. I would be completely screwed without you guys.

TcJayLee
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
^I believe thats true for all of us here

Speed Element is awesome.

steevo8
12-02-2008, 12:44 PM
most people really don't understand how much they help this community. With the economy taking a dive we really need to keep our Evo business local in order to keep shops like this around. With the holidays upon us I think people stopped paying attention to it but come spring time it's all going to come rushing back.

smack
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
hey dev, you should just start charging steve 10% over retail
that will help profits...

Devin@SpeedElement
12-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Devin I REALLY appreciate all your guys help. I would be completely screwed without you guys.

No problem man... anytime.

most people really don't understand how much they help this community. With the economy taking a dive we really need to keep our Evo business local in order to keep shops like this around. With the holidays upon us I think people stopped paying attention to it but come spring time it's all going to come rushing back.

Thanks Again Steve.... we try our best to help every customers. And thanks for the good word.

okay... so 10% for Steve...and 20% for you.... ;)

PANGES
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks Again Steve.... we try our best to help every customers. And thanks for the good word.

^ NICE! So the extra 30% you make off them, you can pass the 30% discount to me. :)

Devin@SpeedElement
12-02-2008, 06:55 PM

^ NICE! So the extra 30% you make off them, you can pass the 30% discount to me. :)

Sure... what you want ???

2.2 or 2.3L stroker ?

PANGES
12-02-2008, 06:56 PM

2.2 or 2.3L stroker ?

Give me 2 of everything Wilson has. :)

Devin@SpeedElement
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM

2.2 or 2.3L stroker ?

Give me 2 of everything Wilson has. :)

So... 4 X EVO 8 , 2 X Evo 9 , and 2 X EVO 10 ???

smack
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM

cancel anything i have on order!

Devin@SpeedElement
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM

cancel anything i have on order!

Too late... you owe me 50,000.... Thank you

Stormtrooper
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
congrats steve... this is the one!!!! will look to forward to seeing you blow by at thill in the near future

steevo8
12-02-2008, 11:49 PM
yeah lets hope so, I cant handle not driving anymore... Once the car is aligned and tuned theres really no reason it should be capable of going pretty damn fast. Eventually I would like to get some more caster out of the front and tha TRE rear diff mod done as well but The Gerrard Ohlins with a good alignemnt and some whiteline help is no slouch of a setup IMO.

Pure EvoIX
12-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I say take the first few sessions as a shakedown and slowly turn up the speed.

steevo8
12-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Yeah for sure. Im gonna have to wait a bit unfortunately though since I am super broke right now.

1SloEvo
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Glad I'm not the only person who is super broke. ;)

Lurk
12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
and I got pulled on by a porsche turbo suv thingy when I had 315hp so yeah maybe its faulty :?

Remind me to laugh at you next time I see you for getting pulled on by a cayenne pepper.

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

turboevo8
12-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I will have to agree! SE helped me out quite a bit with my ride. It would not be running the way it does now without them. It is always great to have someone to confirm or reconfirm with you when you have issues! I was going to push my car into Lake Merced before Dev. came to the rescue.
Thanks!!!

Now, if I can only fix Ricks car...... Evo's don't like me, they put up a fight but at the end I always win!

Ben
12-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I will have to agree! SE helped me out quite a bit with my ride. It would not be running the way it does now without them. It is always great to have someone to confirm or reconfirm with you when you have issues! I was going to push my car into Lake Merced before Dev. came to the rescue.
Thanks!!!

Now, if I can only fix Ricks car...... Evo's don't like me, they put up a fight but at the end I always win!

For some reason an Evo will only love you when you're banging the rev limiter.

Lucky13Evo
12-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Glad I'm not the only person who is super broke. ;)

^If your so broke why dont you get back to me about that actuator you have for sale? ive been calling and texting you?..

Congrats stevo maybe we can plan something for this next week and ill come up there and wil do that alignment.

steevo8
12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Im down. I need to get a alignment on there asap cause its so off I dont even think it could go on a dyno right now.

joshesh
12-05-2008, 08:57 AM
^Your going to do a garage alignment? I would just spend the 100 bucks and go to Roger Kraus and have Brandon set it up percisely, I just didnt have very good luck doing my own alignment in my garage - even after leveling out all 4 corners and measuring everything 10X.

steevo8
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
^Your going to do a garage alignment? I would just spend the 100 bucks and go to Roger Kraus and have Brandon set it up percisely, I just didnt have very good luck doing my own alignment in my garage - even after leveling out all 4 corners and measuring everything 10X.

Lucky does his own alignments and has for awhile, we also have scales so it will be garage corner balanced. After working with Robi doing alignments at the track I think Danny, Josh and I should be able to pull it off.

joshesh
12-05-2008, 09:10 AM
^Yeah, I guess doing it with a few people that know what they are doing helps... I was all alone with an evom how-to video and my ghetto level, tape measure and string method ;(

chrisw
12-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Lucky does his own alignments and has for awhile, we also have scales so it will be garage corner balanced. After working with Robi doing alignments at the track I think Danny, Josh and I should be able to pull it off.

lucky bastard... :) you have scales.

Lucky13Evo
12-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey steevo how flat is the surface in joshs garage or your garage we might want to level it out for optimum results.

cire
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey steevo how flat is the surface in joshs garage or your garage we might want to level it out for optimum results.

Lemme know if you guys need a hand. I'm down for some homo evo work.

Lucky13Evo
12-05-2008, 06:49 PM
^ i know ive seen you in action

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/lucky13evo/3078336833_a54094f43e_b.jpg

cire
12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
icy hot stunnas!