PDA

View Full Version : Is the Nikon D40 the right camera for me?

ChuckP
12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
This will be my first SLR camera. Really don't want to spend more than $400. Few questions..

-What other cameras should i be considering in this price range?

-Is it smart to buy a used camera off CL? Or should i just go new?

TIA

cire
12-10-2008, 03:33 AM
I started with a D40. I bought it new with 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses. That combo was cool. The camera is great sized for traveling and overall SLR usage. If I did it again, I would just get the body and the 18-200mm VR for a go everywhere, do everything lens. I loved that camera, allowed me to learn DSLRs without intimidation.

I outgrew that and went to a D300, this was a used low actuations body. I'd say look for a used D40 on CL with low clicks. I'm sure there are plenty for sale now with the new D60s and D90s out. Another to consider is a D80. It's a bit more capable and has more AF sensor points.

Sfkn2
12-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I like my D80 a lot, but I think you should hit up bestbuy and actually play with the cameras and see how they feel in your hands.
Posted from my mobile device

RgistRdShowoffIX
12-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Best buy or a Circuit City which isn't closing. I feel like a good Circuit City has more cameras to play with. Not just Canon or Nikon. Sometimes some ppl prefer Sony. haha

Starting out from either Canon or Nikon... I would recommend a used XT(i) or D40 if you can find one with low actuations and a good price. :)

ChuckP
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Best buy or a Circuit City which isn't closing. I feel like a good Circuit City has more cameras to play with. Not just Canon or Nikon. Sometimes some ppl prefer Sony. haha

Starting out from either Canon or Nikon... I would recommend a used XT(i) or D40 if you can find one with low actuations and a good price. :)

How do i make sure a used camera is in good working order? Especially when buying from a stranger on CL.

steevo8
12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
The one thing I could not get over with the D40 was the lack of AF points. You should look at the XTI which is in your price range and actually has amazing IQ for an entry level slr. Also for $400 you could get a used 20D body and a 18-55 kit lens. If you did that the transition to a 40d/50d/5d/1d would be seemless. Photography on the net is mainly a canon site so if you haven't looked into them it might be worth your while to check it out. Also look at the prices of lenses and such... If you have friends that own a decent amount of Nikon or canon stuff then just shoot that brand, it will eventually work out in your favor.