PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from this list of mods? Any suggestions?

chills
04-02-2005, 05:10 PM
I currently have on order:

HKS Hiper SS exaust
Helix EVO Downpipe
Helix SS test pipe
Helix 02 Housing
HKS camshaft 272 intake
HKS camshaft 272 exhaust
HKS cam gears

Anyone have any idea of what kind of performance I may gain? Does this sound like a good start on my modding?

I went with the 272 cams as I plan on getting a larger turbo in time....From what I have read so far on the forums, I am wondering if I went to big with the 272 cams for both intake and exhaust... should I be concerned?

What would be the best reflash or AFC setup I should be looking into? Being I don't have a reflash and may not have one for a few months.. would it be damaging to my car to have the mods on there without the reflash?

Sorry if these are newb questions... and thanks for you time!

LEVIII
04-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Very nice start you have there.

If you plan on going with a bigger turbo some day you should prob look into the TurboXS UTEC or the AEM EMS for engine managment.

wilson1
04-02-2005, 08:35 PM
I currently have on order:

HKS Hiper SS exaust
Helix EVO Downpipe
Helix SS test pipe
Helix 02 Housing
HKS camshaft 272 intake
HKS camshaft 272 exhaust
HKS cam gears

Anyone have any idea of what kind of performance I may gain? Does this sound like a good start on my modding?

I went with the 272 cams as I plan on getting a larger turbo in time....From what I have read so far on the forums, I am wondering if I went to big with the 272 cams for both intake and exhaust... should I be concerned?

What would be the best reflash or AFC setup I should be looking into? Being I don't have a reflash and may not have one for a few months.. would it be damaging to my car to have the mods on there without the reflash?

Sorry if these are newb questions... and thanks for you time!

Who is doing the install?
If you are getting it the parts from GruppeS, you should talk to Mike there for help. If not, you should seriously consider getting a local tuner to tune it for you, as what you have will be running poorly in an untuned state once install.
:wink:

chills
04-02-2005, 09:30 PM
yeah, I ordered everything through Gruppe-S and they will be doing the install as well...

So, would I need the engine management system at the same time as getting these installed our could this part wait a month or two?

thanks for the replies and help!!

I was told that a larger Helix turbo system may be out shortly in which I had planned on getting that.... that was why I chose the 272 cams...

Whooopasss
04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
no boost controller?

chills
04-02-2005, 10:33 PM
no boost controller?

nope... which is kind of why I started this thread... after ordering the parts that I listed, I am now wondering if I started in the wrong place for upgrading my car...

so... sounds like I need to get a boost controller and engine management system before I get the other parts installed....

vtluu
04-02-2005, 10:54 PM
See my sig. ;)

wilson1
04-02-2005, 10:58 PM
See my sig. ;)

Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam") ?

:lol:

chills
04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
See my sig. ;)

I basically went with what was suggested to me by Gruppe-S at the time... but oh well... I will just need to save up some more money and the engine managment system before I get the other stuff installed.... oh well.. I can wait...

At least I will already have the parts ready to go...

chills
04-02-2005, 11:05 PM

If you plan on going with a bigger turbo some day you should prob look into the TurboXS UTEC or the AEM EMS for engine managment.

It seems the AEM has a more user friendly software package... at least from the pictures I have seen... but they are also quite a bit more expensive...

I will need to start looking for threads which may compare the two to help my decision...

Thanks for the info!

chills
04-02-2005, 11:13 PM
[quote="chills"]
Who is doing the install?
If you are getting it the parts from GruppeS, you should talk to Mike there for help. If not, you should seriously consider getting a local tuner to tune it for you, as what you have will be running poorly in an untuned state once install.
:wink:

when you say "tune" are you meaning reflashing the ecu or using an engine management system? Or, is tuning something which would be done if installed by Gruppe-S and which I would not "need" a reflash just yet?

stockEVO8
04-03-2005, 12:14 AM
man if your goin wid 272s...u will definitely need a upgraded fuel pump and injectors...and SAFC2 wid a MBC you should make 330whp tuned from a dynojet 8)

chills
04-05-2005, 05:24 PM
ok... after a few days of reading... I think I may have made up my mind to get the TurboXS UTEC. This looks to have pretty much everything I would need for the mods I am getting done now or in the future....

Now.. just to find the cheapest place to buy it from...

LEVIII
04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
man if your goin wid 272s...u will definitely need a upgraded fuel pump and injectors...and SAFC2 wid a MBC you should make 330whp tuned from a dynojet 8)

Jamie from Works told me you dont need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors until you get a bigger turbo and start pushing over 400 WHP when I was looking into emgine mngmt and 272s

LEVIII
04-05-2005, 07:30 PM

It seems the AEM has a more user friendly software package... at least from the pictures I have seen... but they are also quite a bit more expensive...

I will need to start looking for threads which may compare the two to help my decision...

Thanks for the info!

Ive heard but never experienced that with the AEM it might take a day or two of tuning to even make the car drivable since it is a complete stand alone and controls everything in the car. Sounds pretty scarry to me so I would def suggest the UTEC but not really saying the AEM sucks or is bad, it is a nice peice that has already proven itself numerous times.

chills
04-05-2005, 07:50 PM
yeah, I think I would much rather have the AEM EMS... and was talking myself into the UTEC as it was quite a bit cheaper...

I've also heard that Gruppe-S should be able to tune a UTEC, but havn't heard if they have or could tune a AEM EMS... I will have to give them a call tomorrow..

thanks for the info on the fuel injectors and such... I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade those just yet...

Unowned
04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I've also heard that Gruppe-S should be able to tune a UTEC, but havn't heard if they have or could tune a AEM EMS... I will have to give them a call tomorrow..

Just come with me to RRE sometime, they'll tune your AEM for ya

LEVIII
04-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I didnt mean to steer you in a dif direction, I personally prefer the UTEC over the AEM.

stockEVO8
04-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Jamie from Works told me you dont need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors until you get a bigger turbo and start pushing over 400 WHP when I was looking into emgine mngmt and 272s

well probably if u boost at 1 bar probably it'll be fine...
otherwise..fuel cut will own u

chills
04-06-2005, 07:36 PM
I actually plan on still getting the UTEC actually at this point...

I also will be getting a new fuel pump which I called and added to my order today... will this help prevent the fuel cut at all or would I still need the injectors to prevent that?

EvoVIII
04-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I actually plan on still getting the UTEC actually at this point...

I also will be getting a new fuel pump which I called and added to my order today... will this help prevent the fuel cut at all or would I still need the injectors to prevent that?
Fuel injectors won't be necessary unless you go with a bigger turbo, Fuel pump is needed if you are getting any sort of cams