PDA

View Full Version : PULLED OVER, POP HOOD! WTF!

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
So pissed! Need suggestions now. I was thinking of going back to stock. I just got wrote up for a loud exhaust. I have a 3.5" APS race exhaust and need to make it a lot quieter. I was thinking of putting a resonator on the test pipe. ANy other suggestions. Oh yea I have a Apexi Turbo kit too. I might just return it back to stock and sell all the part I have int eh car. Any suggestions? Might talk to speedelement this afternoon too.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
OH YEA AND I'm from reno and they still gave me a ticket for the exhaust. WTF!

SavageEvo8
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
are you still registered in reno with a valid address there?

1SloEvo
12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Actually, it doesn't matter where your car is registered. The loud exhaust is the one thing you can still get popped for. I got 4 fix-it tickets at once before my car was registered in Georgia. When I got the CHP to sign them off, he did mention they could still write me up for the loudness of the exhaust, but I was told only in a residential area due to sound restrictions. Other than that, if you're out of state, you should be good.

sprytsi
12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
More info please.

Did you just get a citation for a loud exhaust? Go get it tested or swap in a stock exhaust and get it tested.

No need to do a full part out because you got pulled over or are they sending you to the ref for a full inspection?

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Yes I still have registration and my parents house is there.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 09:59 AM
I was going on 101N stupid

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I think its just a citation is what the cop got me for.
More info:
Got pulled over 101N before lawrence expressway
Excuse: Tint, exhaust
then: Pop hood. Saw I was from reno, so just gave me an exhaust citation but no intake citation or front license plate.
Thinking about putting a resonator on teh test pipe. You guyts think this will work?

sprytsi
12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
That might work, I don't know how much it costs to be tested.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
My bigger turbo will not like the smaller exhaust. I guess time to look for a smaller one. ANy suggestion for a throaty sounding exhaust with low noise.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I know the 3.5" wont past the sounds test. really leaning toward a resonator but dont really know what to do.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Suggestions? I really dont want to part out with everything

1SloEvo
12-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't resonate the exhaust. If you can, run a high flow cat or the 100 cell MIL.SPEC cat. The Cobb cat also looks really good. i would offer to trade you for my 3" exhaust, but it's not really any quieter and has no resonators either.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Hm...would the cat make it quieter? I thought it was the resonator that makes it quieter but still flows better than the cat. I could be wrong. Thanks for the offer! Yea might need to look into one.

sprytsi
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
swapping out the exhaust for a sound test is not an option?

You can try to swap in a cat like 1sloevo stated or resonating the test pipe might help. I don't know how loud your exhaust is though.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
like swapping it out with another exhaust?

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Its loud lets just say 272 cams, tubular manifold, 3.5" exhuast. I think its like 101db

steevo8
12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know for sure what the restrictions are but I believe you can just pay the fine and not fix it. If it's just loud exhaust it's like $150-$200 and your good to go, if he wrote you for smog equipment then it's a must fix. Worst comes to worst just throw a stock exhaust on there and have it signed off, then stick your exhaust back on. No need to freak out though.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
something ridiculous like that

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
HAHA how you know im freaking out. Yea good thing no smog or nuttin since its registered under Nevada. I jsut need to make it more quietr so this doesn't happen again

ChuckP
12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Worst comes to worst just throw a stock exhaust on there and have it signed off, then stick your exhaust back on. No need to freak out though.

+1
Also, What turbo are you running?

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
its a IHI turbo like btween a gt35 and gt40

nightwalker
12-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the People's Republic California Jordan. I'm in the middle of taking care of an exhaust ticket too. This state sucks.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
yea SUX. Suggestions PIA? How are you fixing the citation?

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I even got hassled with NEvada plates on. Must need to meet there end of year quota

ChuckP
12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
I even got hassled with NEvada plates on. Must need to meet there end of year quota

I was wondering this the other day. Do cops stil have quotas they have to meet?

nightwalker
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
They don't call them quotas, they're "performance" reports.

Jordan, I'm just going to put my stock cat on, and get it signed off. If you do that, it'll only cost you $10.

Then the test pipe goes back on the next day.

GroundHog
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
just pay the ticket and forget about it.

smack
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't know for sure what the restrictions are but I believe you can just pay the fine and not fix it. If it's just loud exhaust it's like $150-$200 and your good to go, if he wrote you for smog equipment then it's a must fix. Worst comes to worst just throw a stock exhaust on there and have it signed off, then stick your exhaust back on. No need to freak out though.

funny that i just dealt with this yesterday. i had a intake infraction, along with plate, muffler, and insurance(didn't have current card with me) that the cop wrote as uncorrectable on the ticket and that i was supposed to go to the ref to check the car.

when i got the courtesy notice in the mail, from the wording it looked like i could get it signed off but when i went to pay it at the court yesterday the clerk said that the intake part was uncorrectable and the fine was 341, down from 1391 if i didn't correct any of it.
i asked her again and she said that since the cop wrote it as uncorrectable it didn't make a difference to the court if you fixed it or not. it also seemed like there was no way for them to tell that i hadn't gone to the ref like the ticket requested.

btw, this was in marin and i'm sure things vary from county to county

SpinOne05
12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
HAHA how you know im freaking out. Yea good thing no smog or nuttin since its registered under Nevada. I jsut need to make it more quietr so this doesn't happen again

How does he know ur freaking out? Proly cause you posted like 16X in 3hrs or something.

Don't worry so much. Just put the stocker on for a day and get it signed off. If u stay out of boost ur turbo won't hate u. :)

awdaddict
12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
funny that i just dealt with this yesterday. i had a intake infraction, along with plate, muffler, and insurance(didn't have current card with me) that the cop wrote as uncorrectable on the ticket and that i was supposed to go to the ref to check the car.

when i got the courtesy notice in the mail, from the wording it looked like i could get it signed off but when i went to pay it at the court yesterday the clerk said that the intake part was uncorrectable and the fine was 341, down from 1391 if i didn't correct any of it.
i asked her again and she said that since the cop wrote it as uncorrectable it didn't make a difference to the court if you fixed it or not. it also seemed like there was no way for them to tell that i hadn't gone to the ref like the ticket requested.

btw, this was in marin and i'm sure things vary from county to county

I don't understand that either.
I had a front plate that's checked as 'Non-correctable' but when I called, the clerk said you can.
WTF?
Are the cops just doing this on purpose so people pay the fine or something?

mtsevovii
12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
wow mor people getting snagged.. :icon_confused:

smack
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

mine was pretty luck though since he originally pulled me over for speeding but he wrote me up for so much stuff that he forgot about the speeding part :evil:

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 01:01 PM
yea sux. I dont have my stock cat and it wont fit because the flanges are for a 3.5". I might need to get a high flow cat with a custom made piping to fit the test pipe. I hope cal at speedelement has someone that can weld and make a pipe with a high flow cat on it that will go where the test pipe is. Yea the cop was like yea i'll just write you down for the exhaust since you aren't from here. He should have just let me all go. Must have had a bad day for him and wanted to ruin mine.

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
You guy can see how loud my car is on the san leandro meet in starbucks. Good thing he didnt really know about my wastegate sticking out

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey pia do I get it signed off in court? or at the DMV?

BOOSTX2
12-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Dang That is the suck.. I'm Sorry to hear you got snagged..

Positron
12-12-2008, 02:58 PM

+1, i got SJ cops breaking necks for me :icon_eek:. Luckily I'm going in the opposite direction :tongue:

Alchemistx83
12-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Lucky. Yea I couldn't help it I as getting on and he was next to me. Thought i could just cruise it til he turned off, but he slowed down as I slowed down driving in neutral. SO yea had to give it some gas and split second later there goes the lights

nightwalker
12-13-2008, 08:52 PM
You have to get it fixed, then track down a cop and have him sign it.