PDA

View Full Version : Can you mix OEM Mitsu Power Steering Fluid with DexIII ATF?

bssybeep
12-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm going to start following the advice of another NCE member posted below. But was concerned if OEM Mitsu power steering fluid and Dex III ATF would mix?

Anybody know? thxs.

"-Every oil change, I use a turkey baster to suck up some brake fluid from the reservior (I take it all the way down to the MIN line) and then fill it up with brand new fluid. My brake fluid, even though the car has over 100k miles is as clear as a brand new Evo's.
You can do this with the power steering fluid as well so that it remains clean and doesn't break down. Old fluid that's been progressively breaking down will wear out the steering gear and lead to other problems. I use DEX III or better ATF when I do this. The life of ATF is about 100k miles at about 60 degrees F. As you go past that temperature, the life shortens drastically. At 220 degrees, it's life is less than a third at 60. ATF that's been broken down is basically just gumming up the internals. So it doesn't hurt to have a bottle around to do a little exchange every oil change. Your rack will thank you"

MR EVO 8
12-04-2008, 03:34 PM
It's okay to mix the power steering, or in general, "top off" power steering fluids. I would just drain and replace the fluid. Probably a 5 minute job...

lqdchkn
12-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes the fluids are compatable but it's a waste of time.

porkchop
12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
If that was the case with power steering fluid, I would think it would be part of the dealership/manufacture service schedule.

which it isn't

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners/both.do

If you track the car frequently, I would keep an eye on the level, but changing/flushing it seems excessive...

nightwalker
12-04-2008, 11:10 PM
It is not part of the dealer's scheduled maintenance, but I do it anyways. ATF when broken down, is basically varnish. You want that stuff doing a number of your steering gear and power steering pump?

lqdchkn
12-04-2008, 11:27 PM
^^^ Yes, but the abuse it sees in the power steering system is NOTHING to what it sees in an automatic transmission. ;)

lqdchkn
12-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Ummmmmm Holy Crap did you do this yet?

If the power steering fluid is not already ATF then I wouldn't mix them.

You'll want to check, if the stock stuff is that yellow type of power steering fluid then I doubt it's ATF.

porkchop
12-05-2008, 01:58 PM
It is not part of the dealer's scheduled maintenance, but I do it anyways. ATF when broken down, is basically varnish. You want that stuff doing a number of your steering gear and power steering pump?

ATF has a boiling point 450 ~ 600 F and normal operation temp around 200 F, I think if you saw that kind of temps in your steering rack, you would have other major issues...

bssybeep
12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Ummmmmm Holy Crap did you do this yet?

If the power steering fluid is not already ATF then I wouldn't mix them.

You'll want to check, if the stock stuff is that yellow type of power steering fluid then I doubt it's ATF.

thxs for the reply. I checked and it is the yellow fluid that comes stock with the car (I'm assuming Mitsubishi approved power steering fluid).

So unless I flush my power steering fluid and replace with ATF, no mixing.

lqdchkn
12-05-2008, 04:04 PM
So unless I flush my power steering fluid and replace with ATF, no mixing.

Personally yeah, that's how I feel about it. :D

nightwalker
12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
by the time your ATF boils, you're already fucked