PDA

View Full Version : Suspension maintenance? (Re-torquing)

ace33joe
04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Service manual says:

19. SUSPENSION SYSTEM (INSPECT FOR
LOOSENESS AND DAMAGE) M1001009600026

Visually inspect the front/rear suspension components for deterioration
and damage. Re-tighten the front/rear suspension
components retaining bolts to specified torque.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which bolts should I re-tighten? :roll: It seems we are supposed to do this every oil change, but has anyone done this before?

vtluu
04-04-2005, 10:58 AM
I've never done it before (other than torquing the bolts involved when installing my coilovers and swaybar), but I think I will, since I drove the car over about 40 miles of very rough dirt roads at the rally this past weekend. Wonder if I need to check my alignment too ("feels" fine), the car was getting bounced so much...

MarkSAE
04-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I guess it won't hurt to check the lower strut nuts and bolts for looseness. While installing my quaife, I had to remove my front lower strut bolts. The last time I touched them was 11k miles ago, and they were still tight. Actually, the passenger's side nuts were on super tight and I had a really hard time getting them off.

I don't think it's really necessary if you torque everything to factory specs.

RonV
04-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Any car that sees any sort of track time should get checked before and after to be safe. Not everyone does this. You would be supprised at what can work itself loose.

Ron

MarkSAE
04-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Any car that sees any sort of track time should get checked before and after to be safe. Not everyone does this. You would be supprised at what can work itself loose.

Ron

Good point. If the bolts have been bolts/nuts have been assembled/disassembled a lot, the threads may be worn and may be more prone to loosening over time.

chrisw
04-04-2005, 12:41 PM
I think I have managed to knock my alignment out before. When I was autocrossing down in SD I notice this. My right rear alignment bolts were not torqued allowing the rear alignment setting to drift.

vtluu
04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah, while installing the rear swaybar I noticed how easy it seems to knock the rear eccentric bolts out of position. I'll probably need to get my alignment re-checked/done. :(

ace33joe
04-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks for advice, guys. I didn't really think Mitsu made suspension bolts get loosened by just street driving, but since the suspension is pretty stiff even for stock, I thought it might be a good idea to check the torques, but I may have dealership do it when I get major service later.

If something is loose, I think I should feel any rattle or noise, but my car feels solid. :)

Oh, btw, while I was rotating my tires recently, I heard quite loud squeaking noise from the rear suspension when it was lowered after lifted up. I think I heard it's normal to have some squeaking noise from the rear suspension when driving over a bump or something. Should have a dealer check it out?

RonV
04-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for advice, guys. I didn't really think Mitsu made suspension bolts get loosened by just street driving, but since the suspension is pretty stiff even for stock, I thought it might be a good idea to check the torques, but I may have dealership do it when I get major service later.

If something is loose, I think I should feel any rattle or noise, but my car feels solid. :)

Oh, btw, while I was rotating my tires recently, I heard quite loud squeaking noise from the rear suspension when it was lowered after lifted up. I think I heard it's normal to have some squeaking noise from the rear suspension when driving over a bump or something. Should have a dealer check it out? Thats cool. In normal street driving, I doubt that anyone should worry. Bolts getting loose in not a "mitsu" thing. It happens to anything that gets pushed at the track. If you wait till you hear rattles, it's too late. Even if you don't actually wreck due to any "rattling" your are prob elongating holes and the like. Like I said, this pertains to "track" driving. Have Fun out there and be careful!!