PDA

View Full Version : Rant/venting..... Rig shots

steevo8
12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
So I read pretty much every import/tuner mag at work every month since I have nothing better to do. I got bored and dcided to go back through some old issues and realized, damn near every featured car has at least 1 rig shot published. What pisses me off is that just about every one of them looks the same. A car shot from one of four angles, turning. Woohoo! Same shit every month from damn near every mag. Now I know my stuff is sub par and that's the reason I'm not getting paid for it, but at least I put forth some kind of effort. There's photographers on damn near every corner so there's really no excuse for that crap. Hopefully the last few serviving car mags drop the rig shots in 09.

End rant

mtsevovii
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
i like rig shots.. :x

whtrice
12-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Rig shot??...Is that like a money shot? Or am I reading the wrong mags again........:shiftdevil:

steevo8
12-26-2008, 01:56 PM
it's a stick attached to the car you put your camera on.. Open just about any import mag and you'll see one. Usually from the front corner with the car turning into the camera. Super blurry background etc.

DaveLC2
12-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I never knew that is what it was called before :icon_redface: Do you have a massive magazine collection? I am kind of a pack rat when it comes to mags. I still have my first Car And Driver Mag from when I was 11yrs old as well as everything else to current! It's trippy looking at the concept cars like 4yrs before the actual model comes out and some of the concepts features might take 6 or 7yrs before they make their way to a production cars. Sorry to get off topic. Here's a little video I found.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XWI_6SnRe4c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XWI_6SnRe4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dave

BOOSTonHanD
12-26-2008, 02:38 PM
i like rig shots.. :x

+1...

whtrice
12-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Ahhh....So that's how they blurr the scene and sharpen the car.

RgistRdShowoffIX
12-26-2008, 03:14 PM
:D just hang out of your friends rear driverside door and you're golden ahahahahahahaha

steevo8
12-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Well it's one way they do it. About 99% of them all look the same though. The ones that actually look good are rarely/never printed in mags, they are just some guy with a rig trying different stuff. Not some so called pro driving around in a parking garage.

steevo8
12-26-2008, 03:49 PM
:D just hang out of your friends rear driverside door and you're golden ahahahahahahaha

IMO you get 100x better shots that way.

lodievo209
12-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but is Import Tuner even around anymore??
Tried looking for it at Barnes & Noble and I can't find it anymore.

steevo8
12-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but is Import Tuner even around anymore??
Tried looking for it at Barnes & Noble and I can't find it anymore.

yeah they are. just picked up this months issue today(actually feb issue already :icon_confused: ) Tons of rig shots in there for you guys as well.

turboevo8
12-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Well it's one way they do it. About 99% of them all look the same though. The ones that actually look good are rarely/never printed in mags, they are just some guy with a rig trying different stuff. Not some so called pro driving around in a parking garage.

I guess Dsport is the 1% that doesn't use rigs? HAHAHA.

steevo8
12-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I haven't seen any. At least that stand out to me.. Import tuner, modified, and one other had a crap load in the three mags I flipped through today.

cire
12-26-2008, 09:07 PM
so uh... who's interested in building a rig? =)

turboevo8
12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
IMO you get 100x better shots that way.

We did something like that when we shot SE's car. Kind of dangerous, but worth the shot.

steevo8
12-27-2008, 12:13 AM
We did something like that when we shot SE's car. Kind of dangerous, but worth the shot.

Man back when I use to ride stunt bikes we had a semi pro film crew come out to shoot us down in hayward.. Actually right next to GST and stuff, but they had like three cars with sunroofs and no passenger seats with guys holding cameras on poles and shit on the wrong side of traffic. Now thats sacrifice to get the shots.

Heres the promo for the video. Our section is at 3:30 I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgds-exFnW4

That day I actually hit a car at about 60mph on the freeway when traffic was dead stopped cause I was paying attention to the film crew like a dumbass. :embarassed: