PDA

View Full Version : Pass-able?

xxx4reggie
12-31-2008, 10:04 AM
So I was thinking, with the mods that I have right now (in my sig) will I pass smog if I were to go?

People are saying that the blue box will fail, is there anyway to hide it or would I have to take it off.
I have a megan 02, thats fail i know but anyway to hide with the stock o2 housing heat shield or am i just f-ed? whats the solution that others came up with? yes i know the best solution is to put stock but are there any other options?
i have boost gauge, egt and oil. i've heard from others that its illegal? how or what do i have to do to fix that? can i use the "i have an MR" excuse etc?
thats about it for the "illegals", please post anything and everything u can that can help :)

Thanks!
Reggie

PinoyMix06MR
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
im not too sure about that blue box, but i want to keep my eye on this thread b c i know my time is coming up soon :undecided:

RedDiamond
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Im curious to see what laws are in the west compared to ours.

They shouldnt see that o2 house unless its mandetory to visually scan the engine bay. Also whats a blue box? And I dont think but I could be wrong lol(cause i dont live there) they wouldnt punish you for monitoring your cars vitals with those gauges.

But Im listening lets see whats up

Bullet
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
You should be good to go if you still have your stock cat on. I can't comment on the blue box since i don't have one. But as far as the o2 housing, I had SpeedElement weld the o2 heat shield on my Titek for stealthyness. You could paint your o2 housing black or try to fit the stock heat shield on it. On a side note, I just smogged my evo this month and the tech was going to fail me for my turbo timer lol. Anyways he was cool about it and told me to hide it for the next time i come in for a smog.

SavageEvo8
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
pretty sure sight of the blue box would for sure get you a fail on visual. but tucking stuff away you should be cool if you have stealth components and your fuel isnt running too rich

xxx4reggie
12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
^
i have a TT also and yeah i might have to hide it, did u have gauges and where they anal about that? i heard they inspect the vacum lines so could be trouble.

also, for the blue box, its the hyperforce. i'm thinking its a fail since it has to do with the ignition. i was thinking painting it black first and then thinking of a place to hide it but i wanna see wat others have done.

as for the o2, you said SE took care of that right? ok i'll make a call to them and see whats up, actually i think i'll PM them too.
can you post pix of your housing with the shield? did you use the factory one or another aftermarket? is it hidden good? did you paint it?

Thanks
Reggie

Kings Fan
12-31-2008, 11:00 AM
I once had a tech check over my engine bay with a cone filter in my other car and didn't care. The visual check is all based on the person and their anal-ness. I once had another tech think my stock 240sx was modified.

xxx4reggie
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
^ true that, it is all on the tech. but as a general. gatta make sure we pass u know.
especially if we get dinged and have to go to a ref....u know those mofos aint nice.

SubtleWordplay
12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Anyone know how knowledgable avg tech or ever passed with aftermarket fmic? That's the only thing I'm worried about when I'm called in. TT hidden underneath cointray.

1SloEvo
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey Reggic, as for the Hyperforce, when I had mine, I build a little box out of aluminum and painted it flat black for a little extra stealth and to help keep heat away from it. It was kind of a pain to make, but it looked pretty good. Not sure if that would help with it or not, but it might be worth a try.

xxx4reggie
12-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Reggic, as for the Hyperforce, when I had mine, I build a little box out of aluminum and painted it flat black for a little extra stealth and to help keep heat away from it. It was kind of a pain to make, but it looked pretty good. Not sure if that would help with it or not, but it might be worth a try.

hey slow! :)
oooo you still got the box? lemme see pix ! :werd:

Bullet
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
^
i have a TT also and yeah i might have to hide it, did u have gauges and where they anal about that? i heard they inspect the vacum lines so could be trouble.

also, for the blue box, its the hyperforce. i'm thinking its a fail since it has to do with the ignition. i was thinking painting it black first and then thinking of a place to hide it but i wanna see wat others have done.

as for the o2, you said SE took care of that right? ok i'll make a call to them and see whats up, actually i think i'll PM them too.
can you post pix of your housing with the shield? did you use the factory one or another aftermarket? is it hidden good? did you paint it?

Thanks
Reggie

I'd definately try to hide the TT, but then again it all depends on the tech. Anyways, go talk to Devin@speedelement about welding a heat shield to your o2 housing. I'll take pics and post it up. It basically looks stock.

xxx4reggie
12-31-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd definately try to hide the TT, but then again it all depends on the tech. Anyways, go talk to Devin@speedelement about welding a heat shield to your o2 housing. I'll take pics and post it up. It basically looks stock.

definetly!
please post pix wen u can, i have to do this asap, just cuz in elk grove... cops = anal over everything and i know if thats hidden, one less thing to worry about.

can i use u as reference with Devin so he knows how i want the shield to be?

RREVOVIII
12-31-2008, 06:40 PM
you will for sure fail if they spotted that hyper force, its either you hide it under the battery tray, or remove it. aftermarket gauges must be remove, no way around it.. and on the 02 housing you should be able to install the stock heat shield as long as you still have the stock exhaust manifold in there, if not then you should, just one bolt on the top is all it needs.to install it, you either pull the turbo out, or the radiator out....

xxx4reggie
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
^ under the battery tray? will it reach there?

also to add:
if a cop were to pull you over, can he give u a ticket for the gauges? i have boost, egt and oil temp.
can we get out of it with a good reason ex: the evos comes with it (mr comes with boost gauge so maybe play that game?)
this way we dont have to deal with that crap

RREVOVIII
01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
^ under the battery tray? will it reach there?

also to add:
if a cop were to pull you over, can he give u a ticket for the gauges? i have boost, egt and oil temp.
can we get out of it with a good reason ex: the evos comes with it (mr comes with boost gauge so maybe play that game?)
this way we dont have to deal with that crap

if not then you can do this, just ask Positron for more details....

I also took pictures of the hidden Sun Auto Hyper Force mod I did several weeks ago. It's mounted onto the frame via bracket I used from my HID kit. I covered the visible blue case with black electrical tape for stealth pleasures. I really didn't want to use the excuse of saying, "Oh thats for my stereo system" incase a cop asked about it :lol:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/jls-systems/positron/DSC00085Small.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/jls-systems/positron/DSC00088Small.jpg

Sfkn2
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
You can't pass smog with aftermarket gauges? So people have to remove even their boost gauge??

dload
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
where exactly do we smog on? do they have a dyno plot for 4 wheel drive cars or do they smog it on idle....

Ben
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
where exactly do we smog on? do they have a dyno plot for 4 wheel drive cars or do they smog it on idle....

I think at this time they're not using dynos.

warpspeed
01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Aftermarket gauges are not illegal. As for the TT, I don't see anything a timer has to do with emissions. It is the same as sitting in the car letting the turbo cool down and letting a "timer" do it for you.

dohcvtec
01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
For the hyperforce, I would think no matter where you hide it they can follow your ignition wires going to the hiding spot and back to the coils. Just remove it for the test, it is very simple to remove and put back in.

xxx4reggie
01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
ok so i painted my blue box(hyperforce) black so yay! more stealthy
also painted my uicp black
and finally cut and put the stock o2 housing heat shield on, honestly the o2 housing is pretty hidden except for the megan racing tag thats on there. i might have that taken off so that its full stealth.

any one else put their stock 02 heat shield on? post pix

RREVOVIII
01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
heres mine i have Titek 02 Housing, Crucial Ported Exhaust Manifold, HKS 272's, and HKS Cam Gear's

xxx4reggie
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
wow that is nicely hidden
did u have to cut alot of the shield to fit it back on?

RREVOVIII
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
wow that is nicely hidden
did u have to cut alot of the shield to fit it back on?

no cutting was done, its not even necessary.

xxx4reggie
01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
^ any rubbing?
i think imma buy another and try it, see if that makes a diff. on mine right now, i had to cut it to fit but if no cutting is required then hell yeah!