PDA

View Full Version : Traffic school information

Offender
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Now that I have to attend traffic school I did some searching on here and decided to make a post with all of the current information I've just received for others who search in the future.

1) Traffic school is available for moving violations that do not exceed 25 miles over the posted speed limit
2) You must not have any previous failures to appear
3) You must not have taken traffic school in the previous 18 months
4) Moving violations which included drug or alcohol violations are not eligible

Also, one of my main questions that I didn't see answered in previous posts was "Does my insurance find out?" I will post again when/if my insurance gets dinged, but the information I received from the court says NOT appearing could adversly affect my insurance, so I am assuming that means if I attend they don't report it, but we all know assuming blah blah blah.

Oh, and don't bother calling the court house about scheduling traffic school earlier than two weeks after getting the ticket- unless you have a fetish for listening to automated systems for 45 minutes+. They are just going to tell you to wait for the information to arrive in the mail. If you don't get anything after two weeks I'd call.

On a side note, the sticky on this section about "what to do when being pulled over" has helped me tremendously since I've been in California. This is the first ticket I have received and the CHP officer pulled my speed from 96 to 85 so I would be able to take traffic school. Lights on, keys on dash, hands on wheel, lots of "sirs" has treated me pretty well.

sprytsi
01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
1) Traffic school is available for moving violations that do not exceed 25 miles over the posted speed limit

This is wrong, I've taken traffic school for moving violations that exceed 25mph over the posted speed limit.

Also, if you are not automatically offered traffic school, you can request it from the judge when you plead or after you are found guilty.

It should not show up on your insurance.

ZK
01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
3) You must not have taken traffic school in the previous 18 months

The judge can elect to let you take traffic school again within 18 months. Chances are against giving this to you but you can ask for it when you enter your plea before the judge.

RREVOVIII
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
i took mine online..

Segfault
01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I always wondered about that 18 months thing. I thought it was 18 months between tickets, not the actual school.

jessmanEVO
01-13-2009, 03:37 AM
I saw a video in blockbuster that's certified by certain counties as traffic school. At first I thought it was a wannabe fast and the furious then I read it and it turns out to be some sort of legitimate traffic school thingy.

MR EVO 8
01-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info...

I remember I got a ticket and took traffic school for it...then I got another ticket for speeding. Lucky me, it was exactly 18 months since I last took traffic school. That saved my life!

Offender
01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
This is wrong, I've taken traffic school for moving violations that exceed 25mph over the posted speed limit.

Also, if you are not automatically offered traffic school, you can request it from the judge when you plead or after you are found guilty.

It should not show up on your insurance.

I'm only posting what is coming directly from the court. Did you have to ask a judge for traffic school for over 25?

And again, about the 18 month thing, I'm not saying I'm giving out gospel here but there is a lot of back and forth about one person doing X or Y when I think it's best to have the clearly outlined information from the court in one place- this is why I posted it because I couldn't figure out what the rules were because of all of that in other threads. It's always best to ask a judge what you CAN do to avoid points and insurance hikes, but right now these are the base line laws in California.

And yes it is available online in certain counties you can google it- luckily I can take it online since I'm going back to the midwest for four months!

sprytsi
01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I saw a video in blockbuster that's certified by certain counties as traffic school. At first I thought it was a wannabe fast and the furious then I read it and it turns out to be some sort of legitimate traffic school thingy.

Some counties require that you take the test at a independent testing center and that may or may not work well with the blockbuster video.

Contra Costa County requires the independent testing center. I took www.ABetterTrafficSchool.com (http://www.ABetterTrafficSchool.com) and it worked out well, it had a independent online testing center and took me around 4-5 hours (while watching TV).

sprytsi
01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm only posting what is coming directly from the court. Did you have to ask a judge for traffic school for over 25?

No, I was offered traffic school by mail. Different courts have different rules. You can ask a judge for traffic school if it is not automatically offered to you.

A judge can also suspend your license for 30 days if you were going over 25mph.

And again, about the 18 month thing, I'm not saying I'm giving out gospel here but there is a lot of back and forth about one person doing X or Y when I think it's best to have the clearly outlined information from the court in one place- this is why I posted it because I couldn't figure out what the rules were because of all of that in other threads. It's always best to ask a judge what you CAN do to avoid points and insurance hikes, but right now these are the base line laws in California.

And yes it is available online in certain counties you can google it- luckily I can take it online since I'm going back to the midwest for four months!

Yes, a judge can give you traffic school twice in 18 months. Some counties allow it while others don't do it. Again, it is based on the individual court and judge.

Certain counties allow online traffic school and it is BEST to get the list from the court, not all online traffic schools are accepted.