PDA

View Full Version : D60 or XSi?

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
With Circuit City about to close all their store and me having their no interest for 3 months credit card, I need to go out and pick up a DSLR from them now! Which one do think is better? I'm highly considering the XSi over the D60....

Or should I save the remaining money and get a D40 or XS instead?

mtsevovii
01-16-2009, 01:09 PM
canon.

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Ya I like the live preview and they have more focus points....is the XSi worth the price over the XS? I'm now leaning towards the XS....

ChuckP
01-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Why do more focus points matter? I have 3 on my D40, horizontal. if i want something in focus i just tilt the camera up or down, put the subject i want in focus in the center, autofocus, then reposition the pic and shoot. Can someone explain to me why u would need more points?

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Why not? Why do we mod cars for more power?

Yes your way of doing it works....but why when you can use more points of focus? Just why not...

mtsevovii
01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
every little bit to make life easier ;)

mtsevovii
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
"macro work and action work where you want more than one AF point. In macro work (and sometimes wedding work), you have the time to select which AF point you want in focus and that's far better than focus lock/recomposing. In action photography, it's a game of percentages, i.e., you want a higher percentage of chance you'll get good focus but you don't ever expect 100% lock-on. Auto AF selection can help raise your percentage in that case."

ChuckP
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I wasn't trying to say that more AF points are pointless, i was simply asking if my method works. Thanks.

Xbox- i just bought a D40 a month or so ago. Im a total n00b, but so far it does everything i ask it to do. The only downfall of the D40 would be no autofocus mechanism is body, you need certain lenses to autofocus with it.

ChuckP
01-16-2009, 02:05 PM
"macro work and action work where you want more than one AF point. In macro work (and sometimes wedding work), you have the time to select which AF point you want in focus and that's far better than focus lock/recomposing. In action photography, it's a game of percentages, i.e., you want a higher percentage of chance you'll get good focus but you don't ever expect 100% lock-on. Auto AF selection can help raise your percentage in that case."

I see, thanks.

steevo8
01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I have used the xsi several times and for a a cheaper slr it's really nice. Colors are great too. The lack of AF points on the Nikon are super frustrating to me so I wouldn't even consider the d40, same goes for the 60 if it's like that. I have actually posted quite a few pics here that were shot with a friends xsi, not that it's a good reference since I'm no pro, but they were posted right along side shots taken with my 40D and no one mentioned any difference in IQ.

mtsevovii
01-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I wasn't trying to say that more AF points are pointless, i was simply asking if my method works. Thanks.

your method works too. its just theres new tech. before AF in cameras your method was everyones way of "AF" and light metering.

like saying i can drive without power steering.

does the same job, just takes more work/time

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Ya my friend has a D40 and I love it. I'm getting back into the SLR world. I took 3 years of photography back in highschool 4 years ago and never went digitial. Used 35mm film SLR's so it is what it is and now I want to go digital and get some good deals with Circuit City is about to collapse. But I think I might want to take a step up from the D40...

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I have used the xsi several times and for a a cheaper slr it's really nice. Colors are great too. The lack of AF points on the Nikon are super frustrating to me so I wouldn't even consider the d40, same goes for the 60 if it's like that. I have actually posted quite a few pics here that were shot with a friends xsi, not that it's a good reference since I'm no pro, but they were posted right along side shots taken with my 40D and no one mentioned any difference in IQ.

What about a XS over a XSi?

steevo8
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Why do more focus points matter? I have 3 on my D40, horizontal. if i want something in focus i just tilt the camera up or down, put the subject i want in focus in the center, autofocus, then reposition the pic and shoot. Can someone explain to me why u would need more points?

Well in theory that works fine and you could really just use manual focus just as east in situations like that. For me what killed me was using it on a tripod and also when shooting a moving object. If you shoot according to the rule of thirds the other af points make life so much easier. Also when you start using real fast lenses it helps to control the dof some also. For instance, you might be taking a head shot of a dog or cat or something and have it centered, but you want their eye to be the focus point and are shooting at f1.4 or f1.8 or even f2.8. With the canon you just select the af and shoot it. Bam, eye in focus in the upper third and even bokeh across the face. Not a huge deal but for sure nice to have.

steevo8
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
What about a XS over a XSi?

Not sure what the difference is. If you wanna fill me in I might be able to help but I only have first hand experience with the xsi and d40

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Honestly I have no idea the real differences....LOL, thus why I'm asking you guys...maybe someone knows more?

ChuckP
01-16-2009, 02:47 PM
^Google.com my friend

xbox4414
01-16-2009, 10:55 PM
LOL I did and what I saw says both are good cameras. I think I might just save some money and go with a XS...looks to have more features of a D40 and still good for the price. Might save a few hundred dollars by not getting a XSi...

Anyone else got personal experience with these cameras?

steevo8
01-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Ok so the difference between the xs and the xsi is that the xsi has a 3" viewing screen compared to the xs that has a 2 1/2" monitor, the XSI is a 12.2 mega pixels and the xs is 10.1mp. The xsi shoots at 3.5fps and the xs shoots at 3fps and the xs has 7 af points while the xsi has 9 and the XSI shoots 14bit raw files while the xs shoots 12 bit raw files. Oh and the XSI has spot metering and the XS doesnt.

IMO theres no question I would get the xsi over the xs... The 1/2" in the viewing monitor alone makes it worth the extra cost. More pixels might not make the IQ any better but it does allow you to crop an image down a lot more and still keep it usable. Overall the XSI is a noticeably better camera and worth the extra money and then some imo. Heres some links.

http://www.photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/canon-1000d/xs-vs.-450d/xsi-quick-comparison.html

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613601&highlight=xs+xsi

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=619079&highlight=xs+xsi

SpinOne05
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey Xbox, be careful about snatching up stuff from Circuit City's liquidation sale. They are handled by a third party and the price, even after 40% or 60% percent off, are still higher than you can find online from a reputable store. In addition there are NO returns.

I'm also about to buy a DSLR and found after some reading that I like the XS or XSi over the D60/D40 because of the features the above guys posted plus it has an integrated dust cleaning system for the sensor. Most reviews I read stated the XS/XSi has better image quality than the D60. Also it seems kit D40's don't come with VR lens that I think is important.

I'm a real big noob so for me I think I'm going with the XS over XSi because I probably won't use the extra features for a while. I could use the savings to get some filters, a lens, tripod, etc.

Amazon is selling the XS for around $475 with free shipping, which seems like a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232300916&sr=8-1

steevo8
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey Xbox, be careful about snatching up stuff from Circuit City's liquidation sale. They are handled by a third party and the price, even after 40% or 60% percent off, are still higher than you can find online from a reputable store. In addition there are NO returns.

I'm also about to buy a DSLR and found after some reading that I like the XS or XSi over the D60/D40 because of the features the above guys posted plus it has an integrated dust cleaning system for the sensor. Most reviews I read stated the XS/XSi has better image quality than the D60. Also it seems kit D40's don't come with VR lens that I think is important.

I'm a real big noob so for me I think I'm going with the XS over XSi because I probably won't use the extra features for a while. I could use the savings to get some filters, a lens, tripod, etc.

Amazon is selling the XS for around $475 with free shipping and Butterflyphoto is selling it for $431 shipped. Which seems like a good deal.

http://butterflyphoto.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2221

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232300916&sr=8-1

I forgot to mention that the XS/XSI has much better high iso IQ then the D40. Dont fool yourself though, you will use the features of the XSI over the XS.

SpinOne05
01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Now you got me unsure again...haha guess I will have to do some more thinking.

Also edited my post about Butterflyphoto. It seems they have been getting some bad revies lately on Epinions so I didn't want to mislead anyone. However I did buy a Plasma tv from them and had no problems getting it, but it was about 2 years ago.

xbox4414
01-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I decided on the XSi for sure. I was playing with both today and although I like the fit of the XS body better, I can't live without a spot meter. What was Canon thinking of not including one in a DSLR? Now I found a site with good ratings on Google and amazing prices:

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p86115-canon-eos-rebel-xsi-aka-450d-kiss-x2-dslr-digital.html

$469 for the body alone, and $579 for the basic package with a lens. I'm looking at their packages and is it worth getting the packages? Or would it be cheaper or better to get different and separate lenses? I don't want to spend over $700 total for the camera, a large memory card and 2 lenses.

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p86128-canon-eos-450d-digital-rebel-xsi-package-5.html

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p86129-canon-eos-450d-digital-rebel-xsi-package-6.html

I just need to know if these packages really are a good deal or if getting the camera body alone and separate lenses, maybe from other sites or used would be the best for the money. Let me know. You guys know more about lenses than me...

SpinOne05
01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Whoa better be careful with Fotoconnection! I was about to buy from them too but they seem to have really horrible reviews on epinion.com
http://www.epinions.com/Foto_Connection_Online_Stores_Services

On Cnet and pretty much every other website review. just type in 'fotoconnection review' into google and see.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=92463&messageID=1172070

xbox4414
01-18-2009, 11:16 PM
The thing is unless you go with BB or one of the "major" or authorized resellers it looks to be hit or miss...as some reviews are good others not so much...

SpinOne05
01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I also went and played with all the cameras at Best Buy and found I liked everything about the XSI. The feel, weight, controls, quick start up, quick to focus, bigger lcd screen. Also played with the d60 which felt clunky and smaller in my hands. I would be unhappy shooting with d60/40. I'm going with the XSI and maybe a couple of lens'

SpinOne05
01-18-2009, 11:19 PM
So did you pull the trigger and buy it yet?

xbox4414
01-18-2009, 11:24 PM
No waiting to hear responses on lens....and now with CC going out of business the card from them I have is no longer being accepted and I can't get 0% APR....bitches...LOL

SpinOne05
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
If u find a solid deal post up. I'll do the same.

xbox4414
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
The best deal I've seen is Abe's of Maine. I hear they are a very good and reputable company. They have a already low price and they also have a promo going on "LOYALTY10" for $10 off.

EV0LL
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I stopped by Circuit City yesterday and checked out the XSi as I've been looking at that camera too. It's really not much of a "deal" there, they are selling it for $719 w/lens, down from $799. IMO your better off going online or waiting to see if they discount them further (if there are any left).

Pretty funny, those "liquidation sales" really aren't that much of a deal, since another company takes over and raises all the prices back up to MSRP and then discounts from there. That said CC was packed with people thinking they were scoring... :)

steevo8
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
IMO youll get a much better overall camera if you just buy used. If your spending $700+ you could get a 40D with a 28-135IS lens for about $800 used. Its a MUCH better camera then the xsi with a much better lens.

EV0LL
01-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Steve, you've bought some used, right? Do you usually find em off of craigslist?

I thought about the used route, but two reasons I'm leaning towards new is,1)I dont have to worry about the condition or making sure everything works OK, etc. and 2) I can pay by CC and just pile it onto my debit and enjoy it now while I have extra time to do so, and pay it off later once I get another full time job :-)

That said, the used route is still an option, esp if I can pick up something for $400-500 vs $600+...

steevo8
01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah all of my cameras have been off CL and havent had a single issue with any of them... In general photographers are a lot more honest/trust worthy then car people and I just make a point of not buying from anyone I think might be shady etc. Also you could also use paypal to put something on a credit card.