PDA

View Full Version : which spark plugs for tune up?

chris
04-12-2005, 11:27 PM
stock... which is expensive
BPR7ES spark plugs... i'm familar with.
and more.

which one do you guys suggest?

91z28-350
04-13-2005, 10:23 AM
FWIW, I always stick with the stock type of plug on all my cars (or what's recommended by the manufacturer of the aftermarket heads), and move the heat range if necessary. For the EVO with stock heads, I would get the Denso Iridium. Expensive, yes.

I like NGK if going with a regular plug.

Not really much help, unfortunately. You'll find success stories with all sorts of plugs.

EvoVIII
04-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I got a set of Denso Iradium 1step colder, used for about 3000miles, PM me if interested :lol:

vtluu
04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I have the NGK BPR7EIX which I'm told is 1 step colder. Works great. Best price I found was at RockAuto.com; I've bought a number of items from them, and would recommend them.

Jamie@WORKS
04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I have the NGK BPR7EIX which I'm told is 1 step colder. Works great. Best price I found was at RockAuto.com; I've bought a number of items from them, and would recommend them.

Those look to be the same heat range as stock (the number 7 indicates this) and are iridium vs. the OEM platinum-iridium combo.

Whooopasss
04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
I run Denso IW24 spark plugs whichs is one step colder than stock. It was given to me as a gift from the denzo rep I met. That is why I got Denzo stickers on my car (stickers are also uised to hide paint scratches.)

vtluu
04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Those look to be the same heat range as stock (the number 7 indicates this) and are iridium vs. the OEM platinum-iridium combo.
Yes, what Jamie said. :lol: So that's what the "7" is. You learn something new every day. :idea:

BOOSTonHanD
05-24-2005, 10:34 PM
ok im looking for a plug that doesnt cost and last as long as stocks or something similar. i have this thing that i always like to change things out to make sure im running everything fresh. im looking for a ngk that i can change out every 3 thousand miles or something that wont hurt the pocket if i do. i know it would come out cheaper if i didnt change them out so soon but its a peace of mind for me if i did change them out before 60000 or what ever stocks are rated to.

vtluu
05-25-2005, 01:31 AM
I think Jamie runs copper plugs; you probably get them for under $10 a set.

ace33joe
05-25-2005, 03:21 AM
I run Denso IW24 spark plugs whichs is one step colder than stock. It was given to me as a gift from the denzo rep I met. That is why I got Denzo stickers on my car (stickers are also uised to hide paint scratches.)

Did you gap the Denso plugs? I bought one set, and they came with 0.044'' gap. Gapping seems almost impossible because of those ultra-thin iridium tips. Any practical way to gap them without damaging tips?

methods4
05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
In case any of you are curious about the NGK model numbers and what they mean:

http://www.crxsi.com/resources/spark_plug/partnumberkey.pdf

TylerO@WORKS
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
OEM is best!

methods4
05-25-2005, 01:09 PM
OEM is best!

This is what I've heard as well. Thus the reason I have two sets of stockers sitting in my garage. Maybe I should change them out sometime since I have 43k on my original plugs now. :shock:

dohcvtec
05-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Did you gap the Denso plugs? I bought one set, and they came with 0.044'' gap. Gapping seems almost impossible because of those ultra-thin iridium tips. Any practical way to gap them without damaging tips?
Denso iridiums come pregapped, do not try to gap them yourself :P

MitsuMan
05-25-2005, 03:57 PM
go oem that more than adequate for your application don't believe the hype

ace33joe
05-25-2005, 04:38 PM

Denso iridiums come pregapped, do not try to gap them yourself :P

Actually, it seems it is pregapped at 0.032'', so I guess I don't have to gap them myself.