PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Muellerized JICs in Norcal?

Unowned
04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I wanted to know how many NorCal peeps drive down to RRE just for the JIC tune from Mueller...

Don't forget when it rains outside WD-40 your JICs :D

earlyapex
04-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Don't forget when it rains outside WD-40 your JICs :D

You got that right, this is what mine looked like after 1.5 tahoe seasons and daily driving:

And yes I used WD-40

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/for_sale/JICS_FOR_SALE/JIC04.jpg

vtluu
04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I believe Sean (username: smack) had a set, but got rid of them... or was it Alex? One of the guys I met at the last THill track day I was at.

Unowned
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
I believe Sean (username: smack) had a set, but got rid of them... or was it Alex? One of the guys I met at the last THill track day I was at.

I know Lief has em, but he is untuned so that doesn't count :lol:

evo_dadi
04-13-2005, 04:28 PM
so wait ive been hearing about putting wd40 on them when its raining,whats the deal with it?

leif
04-13-2005, 05:00 PM

yeah they're pretty trashy....

smack
04-13-2005, 06:42 PM
hey guys,
i actually had cusco zero-2r's. way undersprung and dampened.
never muellerized.

now i have a set of ohlins which are nice except that i went with sort of
a compromise on the spring rates and i just need to bite the bullet
and get a real set of track springs. then just swap out for track days.

Unowned
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM

Like i mentioned come with me in a couple months and John will fix em the way they were meant to be set.

I'm actually quite surprised that more members have not gotten this done :(
What excatly is holding most of you from doing this?

earlyapex
04-13-2005, 10:16 PM

Like i mentioned come with me in a couple months and John will fix em the way they were meant to be set.

Since I know what he really does I won't waste my money. There are alternatives here in the bay area.

leif
04-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Since I know what he really does I won't waste my money. There are alternatives here in the bay area.

do tell.

earlyapex
04-13-2005, 11:14 PM

do tell.

I can't. Maybe confront me or put me in a headlock at a track event. :P

earlyapex
04-13-2005, 11:16 PM
hey guys,
i actually had cusco zero-2r's. way undersprung and dampened.
never muellerized.

now i have a set of ohlins which are nice except that i went with sort of
a compromise on the spring rates and i just need to bite the bullet
and get a real set of track springs. then just swap out for track days.

So you are going to do two alignments everytime you go to a track event?

leif
04-13-2005, 11:43 PM

do tell.

I can't. Maybe confront me or put me in a headlock at a track event. :P

do i have to bring my brass knuckles?

vtluu
04-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Not necessarily; if you carefully note the position of spring perches, camber plate settings, toe adjustment nuts you might be able to consistently dial in the alignment settings you need; that said, it would be rather easy to screw up.

earlyapex
04-14-2005, 12:01 AM
[quote="earlyapex"]that said, it would be rather easy to screw up.

Which is what I meant. :P

Unowned
04-14-2005, 09:07 AM

Meaning you can get the same tune from someone local?

smack
04-14-2005, 11:01 AM

no, as long as the ride height stays constant the camber and toe won't change
although at this point i going to have to go to a different aliignment because 3 degs. camber is a bit
much on the street :)

i just saw tam's comments...

you don't mess with any bolts other than the 2 bottom bolt that hold the strut in and the
top nut on the strut so again as long as the ride height doesn't change all the other setting
have to stay the same as well.

chrisw
04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
If you change your camber you will trash your toe, period.

spoken from experiance.

smack
04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
If you change your camber you will trash your toe, period.

spoken from experiance.

correct. and if the ride height stays the same as it was before, the camber wont change.
period.
spoken from experience as well.

dohcvtec
04-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I think looking at the condition of those JIC's and also someone at the track having a broken one (thought it was smack) I would look elsewhere. What do you guys think of the buddy clubs?

john@rre
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
You got that right, this is what mine looked like after 1.5 tahoe seasons and daily driving:

Those are Subaru JICs, obviously totally uncared for after winter driving.
Salt can be extremely damaging to _any_ coil over suspension system.

john@rre
04-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Since I know what he really does I won't waste my money.

I call bullshit.

After spending the past 5 years working with JIC developing our suspension solutions for Mitsubishis, I find your post absurd at best. We have had many people win races, dominate track days, win magazine competitions, set record setting skidpad numbers, set record setting EVO times at the drag strip, all without any drama about our company or the products we choose to use and sell. The key to our success is our understanding of how to achieve the maximum performance out of the car and driver combination, and translating our decades of tuning experience into adjustments that make a difference that is easily measured in laptime. Every car we build is set up uniquely for the individual, which is the only way to give each and every one of our customers the value they deserve.

See you at the track:D

earlyapex
04-14-2005, 07:15 PM

Those are Subaru JICs, obviously totally uncared for after winter driving.
Salt can be extremely damaging to _any_ coil over suspension system.

Ok, Tahoe doesn't use salt. WD40 used all the time.

earlyapex
04-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Since I know what he really does I won't waste my money.

I call bullshit.

After spending the past 5 years working with JIC developing our suspension solutions for Mitsubishis, I find your post absurd at best. We have had many people win races, dominate track days, win magazine competitions, set record setting skidpad numbers, set record setting EVO times at the drag strip, all without any drama about our company or the products we choose to use and sell. The key to our success is our understanding of how to achieve the maximum performance out of the car and driver combination, and translating our decades of tuning experience into adjustments that make a difference that is easily measured in laptime. Every car we build is set up uniquely for the individual, which is the only way to give each and every one of our customers the value they deserve.

See you at the track:D

John I wasn't questioning your skills of setting up Mitsu's to turn right. I was saying there are alternatives here in the bay area. Espically when you guys are so busy.

Personally I will never use JIC's again but that's because of the way I use my car. If I was in sunny socal and never drove to the snow, sure go ahead.

earlyapex
04-14-2005, 08:14 PM
ah to hell with it.

john@rre
04-14-2005, 09:01 PM
How come someone else aligned the race car for the race down in Mexico?

Mike Welch adjusted the wheel alignment on his own Evo, just like he adjusts it when they are racing down in Mexico. A current pic of our EVO road racing car looks like this, after our SCCA ITE win at Buttonwillow in March.
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album355/Racewin_044small.sized.jpg
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album355/Race_2_041small.sized.jpg[/img]

earlyapex
04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Mike Welch adjusted the wheel alignment on his own Evo, just like he adjusts it when they are racing down in Mexico. A current pic of our EVO road racing car looks like this, after our SCCA ITE win at Buttonwillow in March.

Seen it, looks nice. Those ducts work well?

leif
04-14-2005, 10:21 PM
ino thats an old pic, but did you guys fix the body damage on it?

Unowned
04-15-2005, 08:53 AM
ino thats an old pic, but did you guys fix the body damage on it?

you're talking about the Laguna Seca run?

john@rre
04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
i no thats an old pic, but did you guys fix the body damage on it?

The 2 pics of the 92 Evo were taken March 20, 2005, so that makes it old news? The 92 car is a different chassis that we prepared in 28 days after the #35 car was wrecked at the end of January. Laguna was already the 3rd SCCA race for this car, race 4 will be at Thunderhill, April 22-24.

dohcvtec
04-15-2005, 09:56 AM
John, I thought I heard you guys are testing the Buddy Clubs, what are your thoughts on them?

john@rre
04-15-2005, 10:34 AM
John, I thought I heard you guys are testing the Buddy Clubs, what are your thoughts on them?

I am setting up the first set of production units on a customer car today, I have another set in stock with more to come within the next 7-10 days.

Development was almost complete of our version of these units in January, but our test car was wrecked and that set us back some time.
The revised version is only available from Road///Race, and incorporates many changes from the early version that we have been testing since last June. You will see many people selling "Buddyclubs" for the Evolution, all of these suspensions are the first edition that does not work well enough on the street or go fast enough on the race track to be sold by us.

leif
04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
i no thats an old pic, but did you guys fix the body damage on it?

The 2 pics of the 92 Evo were taken March 20, 2005, so that makes it old news? The 92 car is a different chassis that we prepared in 28 days after the #35 car was wrecked at the end of January. Laguna was already the 3rd SCCA race for this car, race 4 will be at Thunderhill, April 22-24.

yes ino, i was simply asking if you fixed the body damage done at laguna seca...

earlyapex
04-15-2005, 11:13 AM

No, what I meant is that since I had JIC's, and for what I use *my* car for, they didn't work to my expectations. Nothing to do with how they where setup.

I also think I can get coilovers setup up here. There are people that tune suspensions here. I am not digging on Mueller's ability to set up a Mitsu correctly, obviously that would be dumb seeing how Mueller set up cars perform.

I am saying, there are alternatives to suspension setup up here without having to drive down there or wait for Mueller's busy schedule.

Unowned
04-15-2005, 11:21 AM

No, what I meant is that since I had JIC's, and for what I use *my* car for, they didn't work to my expectations. Nothing to do with how they where setup.

But that's the thing, what you use your car for and how the suspension is setup goes hand in hand.

For example my good friend with an Eclipse wanted the handling of my Eclipse but not as harsh and more towards stock ride height. John individually tuned his car to more of his driving style and how he was going to use it. Still had the nuetral handling with softer settings for more daily driving. Today he wishes for a more aggressive tune now since his driving style changed from experience.

earlyapex
04-15-2005, 11:26 AM

But that's the thing, what you use your car for and how the suspension is setup goes hand in hand.

For example my good friend with an Eclipse wanted the handling of my Eclipse but not as harsh and more towards stock ride height. John individually tuned his car to more of his driving style and how he was going to use it. Still had the nuetral handling with softer settings for more daily driving. Today he wishes for a more aggressive tune now since his driving style changed from experience.

That's not what I said, I said my experience had nothing to do with how they where setup. I meant how I used my car, meaning I used it for more than just driving to work or on the track, I used it full-season, going to tahoe, dirt and snow, etc.

I am not questioning Mueller's abilities.