PDA

View Full Version : trying to tow my car away for modified exhaust

alldayreese
03-28-2009, 01:01 PM
so i went around the block today to test the car out, ( i have no plates yet just a temperay registration from nevada) also the ar is right hnad drive which dont help.

i get pulled over the cop says my exhaust has no numbers on it saying its legal! its after market ect...... im like im from nv i dont have the same law out there, wtf! so then he said next time i see you with the same exhaust im tow your car. wtf really can they do that shit????

any ways so you guys cant have after market exhaust in cali>>???

if not then im have to throw on a stock exhaust so i can dive to school still...

big question if i throw on a stock exhaust with a 3 inch dp, and straight pipe could i blow some seals in the turbo from the back pressure because the stock muffler is 2.5 restrict airflow.

so mybe after i get plates it wont be so bad!!

also if i have to ever go to state ref i will never pass smog i have a jdm ecu which dont read our us emssions and i have no 02 sensers at all hahaha also i dont even have vins in the engine bay because i converted it

SavageEvo8
03-28-2009, 01:02 PM
i had 2 ref tickets, on my third, i was threatened that my car could be towed, but he wasnt doing so cuz i had 2 car seats in the back seat. i think they can tow at their discression on this one, especially for negligence on the repairs.....

alldayreese
03-28-2009, 01:18 PM
dam that sux! for me.

so i geuss ill change the exhaust to stock as long as it dont blow out my turbo seals
ooh by the way he didnt give me any ticket what so ever!!

but they are local theft unit for hondas,acuras haha and i seen them before aorund here, sux for me i have the most ilegal car around tooo

alldayreese
03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
plus i thought the cali laws dont aplly to me if i have nevada regerstration....

thats the hole reason i have it registered in nevada to bypass this bull shit
im call the police station mondya and find out

Kamikaze
03-28-2009, 02:22 PM
my understanding was cat-back is legal in CA.

RREVOVIII
03-28-2009, 02:24 PM
plus i thought the cali laws dont aplly to me if i have nevada regerstration....

thats the hole reason i have it registered in nevada to bypass this bull shit
im call the police station mondya and find out
was you Driver's License also from Nevada?

RREVOVIII
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
my understanding was cat-back is legal in CA.
not all of them, if its under the db limit then yes.......

alldayreese
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
yup dl is from nevada also.........

but the dl dont matter only regerstration

RREVOVIII
03-28-2009, 03:14 PM

well yeah you should be exempted with the smog law.
the only reason why i ask about you dl is because if you have cali dl then cops knows that your aware or the laws and conditions of the state.

alldayreese
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
yeah i think ill wair till i get my plates 1st before i drive around.
the thing is if im living out here they will track me down someday and see i live here.

but yeah i didnt think they could tow my car or fuck with me sense i have out of state reg

marq
03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
If you moved here, and work here/go to school here, you have a limited time to get your Cali driver's license, plates. If you are military and are an out of state resident, then you are good to go. So really, while your car has NV plates, and your dl is NV, he can't touch your car unless there is no CAT, or your exhaust exceeds the decibel limit...or you are caught racing. Where do you live?

alldayreese
03-28-2009, 05:39 PM
well i been in cali for years i rather keep nv reg for very good reason s
im just trying to figure out a way to get around this, bs

yeah i know most of the laws and i guess if im in cali longer then 10 days they are post tow my car if i have no cali lic! how lame is that, yeah i need to play is safe, and no way i can ever register my car in cali it will never pass what so ever. so thats why i keep it in nv register

uhoh_evo
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
aftermarket CATbacks are fine as long as they're not too loud. i am not too sure how it works since it's been a while, but my sister has CA license but car registered in NV. it worked twice each in a different county but repeat offenders are at greater risks for gettin car towed. she's got a dilemma now...

ddubdb3
03-28-2009, 07:37 PM
a when i got pulled over the cop told me shes giving me a ticket for modified exhaust i told her its under the db limit. all she said is doesnt matter its modified its still illegal....

onesicstar
03-28-2009, 08:10 PM
the only diff with nevada is you have to pass fedral smog laws not ca state smog you still are going to have to smog it it wont change if you get ca plates cause the out of state cars do not have the same emissions equipment as ca cars.... if thats helps

alldayreese
03-29-2009, 02:00 AM
yeah the trick for your for your girl is she keeps her nv lic and go get a ca lic but dont turn in your nv lic say you lost it! so you have booth and can use booth.

federal; smog im guessing they can fuck with me no matter what then.
i dont smog my car any ways it wouldnt pass. where i have my home address in nv i dont need smog!>>>>lucky me i guess

but if i get pulled over to many times ill get cought up some how.

so i will just change my exhaust, but i dont wanna change my 3 inch dp and piping,

dam cali sux on these laws

TSi_2_EVO
03-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Im guessing you have an N1 style muffler....you could just change the catback to something less noticable or have a muffler shop weld on a different muffler to your current piping. RHD huh?

alldayreese
03-29-2009, 10:39 AM
yeah rhd, its a n1 look a like its a cheap ebay n1 with a silencer. made my own piping too, just needed somthing to match my 3'dp, and i didnt realize how dam strick cali is its been awile.

i can weld on my own exhaust but not sure what to use, the officer told me it shoudl have some kind of code on it that shows it's street legal. B>S

thnaks for all the info ............

ricardomotorhead
03-29-2009, 01:09 PM
i had 2 ref tickets, on my third, i was threatened that my car could be towed, but he wasnt doing so cuz i had 2 car seats in the back seat. i think they can tow at their discression on this one, especially for negligence on the repairs.....

Pardon my ignorance but what did you mean by 2 car seats on the back seat? baby seats?

Thanks.

ricardomotorhead
03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
oh shut, I am running a turbo back exhaust 3inch, but due of tickets I have my stock muffler, I was not aware I could blow my seals, anyone knows what other damage I can cause to my car by running this set up.
btw, good luck to you with the coppers.

alldayreese
03-29-2009, 03:26 PM
how long you been running it like that????

uhoh_evo
04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
...cause the out of state cars do not have the same emissions equipment as ca cars.... if thats helps

i've lived in CA all my life and have never thought about cars in other states other than they don't have to deal w/ our strict laws... but are you saying they're made differently from the factory for every state depending on that states emission laws? the only thing i knew was different was that HIDs were illegal in some states so stock HIDs were replaced for those states

warpspeed
04-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Just remember guys and gals, don't get intimidated from the popos. In Cali. anything after the catalytic is SMOG legal. The ONLY thing you will have to deal with is, is the noise level of the muffler, which has NOTHING to do with emissions. If a cop pulls you over for a modified exhaust saying it is too loud, ask them, "where is your db meter?" Unless of course you do have a "trash can" sounding exhaust and your in denial.

Evil Evo Tony
04-02-2009, 11:26 PM

ya but the cops also look at ur dl and they will write u a ticket also if u dont get it changed to a cali dl which is bs also. dude i have got 3 fix it tickets and no one have metioned towing my car lol but if ur car is registered in nv then u should be fine

Evil Evo Tony
04-02-2009, 11:28 PM
i have a straight pipe on my evo and it is really loud but if u drive cool and try to keep quite and watch wat roads u take u have a super less chance of getting pulled over...and soon to come smog is getting worse!! and more stricked!!

Whooopasss2
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
From another forum

"27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html)

that link will let you search california law to see if you were or were not in fact in violation of california law, and if you were not in fact in violation of the law, then fight the summons, and state why you were not in violation of the law, if you were in violation of the law, then just pay the fine."

mtsevovii
04-03-2009, 08:31 AM
wait am i missing the real point here? you dont have matching vins? good luck, cop pulls you over, pops hood. they will tow it, and youre going to end up with a crushed car.

alldayreese
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
well i dont have vins in the fire wall or dash because it rhd, but i do have the manfuacturing sticker in the door with all vins! thats what i should them they were koo. nv dont check thoese they just scann the door stick when they do inspection.

but for sure i was already in the middle of making my own vins i have a seriel number stanp thing so it looks legit fo rthe most part

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/bboyrease/DSC02335.jpg

alldayreese
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
and the back top layer of the firewall i made so it really dont have any vins haha

MicroImageToyotaVios
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Holy crap, nice EVO V (or VI, can never figure out the difference). I'm never looked into vehicle codes, but I do know that for cell phone usage, if you're from a state that permits talking on the cell phone, and you drive into another state that prohibits it, you will get ticketed.

RREVOVIII
05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
well i dont have vins in the fire wall or dash because it rhd, but i do have the manfuacturing sticker in the door with all vins! thats what i should them they were koo. nv dont check thoese they just scann the door stick when they do inspection.

but for sure i was already in the middle of making my own vins i have a seriel number stanp thing so it looks legit fo rthe most part

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/bboyrease/DSC02335.jpg

nice!

WWEVOVIII
05-05-2009, 12:37 AM
hahaha +1 Jay

alldayreese
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah im not going to trip off of it, my car is not really loud any ways so if another cop gives me shit, about it then ill weld on somthing quiter //

i just recieved my plates finaly so im legal! yaya
the nevada dmv isseued me a new vin number on my car the had a machine that ingraved serial numbers in my frame! then covered it with a vinplate manufacted nevada dmv on it.

and then my new title says 2009 accembled vehical. so now my car is not a mitsubishi any more its a 2009 acv haha. crazy!

evo 4 is non wide body - and lower boost and weaker internals.

evo5.6 are wide body and s\ame internals as a evo 8, .
also evo 5,6 come with brembos.

thanks, i put a lot of work in that car. its tsill not dune yet