PDA

View Full Version : where do u mount the egt probe at?

wilson1
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
is it by cylinder #1,2,3, or 4?

e8
04-19-2005, 11:56 PM
i believe it's #2.

someone correct me if i am wrong.

chrisw
04-20-2005, 07:26 AM
I would put it off #1 going on the theory that if there is a fueling problem, you will see it on #1 first.

That said, #2 does seem to run a little hotter than the rest. Don't know/understand why.

LEVIII
04-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I have also heard #1 more than anything

Ive seen them near the collector too, My friends integra has it after the turbo

SouthernCrane
04-20-2005, 08:02 AM

wilson, since you have the $$$$, buy four, one for each runner :D

DB8GSR
04-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Gino from GBMOtorsports installed mine on the 1st runner. I originally wanted on the 3rd because I used to have a turbo integra and most of the honda gurus pointed out that the 3rd cylinder on the honda motor runs leanest. But again, this is Mitsubishi, so I just trusted Gino on the 1st runner. :roll: :D

Btw... I've gotten as high as 1750 degrees or even higher during one of my sessions at thunderhill last year with the weather temp outside at 95 degrees.

vtluu
04-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I have a stock exhaust manifold with a tap for an EGT sender in the first runner. I have no use for EGT, probably will get it welded shut; if anyone wants to trade rather than tapping their own stock manifold, let me know...

V8KiLL3R
04-20-2005, 09:27 AM

:lol: :lol:

jbigelow
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
thanx for putting this question up wilson.

anybody have pix of there probe installed?

-jbigs

MarkSAE
04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Different cars have different intake manifolds, so what works on one car might not apply to the EVO. The intake manifold design is what dictates which cylinder runs leanest, as air flow distribution will not be even across all 4 cylinders.

If you're concerned about running out of fuel, then place it on the #1 cylinder (closest to passenger side) since it sits at the end of the fuel rail. Mitsubishi placed the knock sensor behind the #2 cylinder, which is the same as the DSMs. I'm not sure of their reasoning behind it though. Some say that's the cylinder that runs the leanest. Or they could have just placed it there because it was the only spot that had the space to fit.

EGTs are relative anyway. No matter where you place it, you should note what EGTs are normal for your setup. Then if EGTs rise above what you normally see, you should probably start letting off the gas.

earlyapex
04-20-2005, 11:11 AM
I've put it in #1 cyl runner approx 1-2" from the exhuast port on all my eleventy billion turbo cars I have had.

Works great.

wilson1
04-20-2005, 11:13 AM
thanx for putting this question up wilson.

anybody have pix of there probe installed?

-jbigs

:D

NP

wilson1
04-20-2005, 11:13 AM

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

I need a loan!

earlyapex
04-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Here is a really bad photo of the EGT in one of my DSM's, Flip it around and it will look like an EVO.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/talon_stuff/90_talon_enginebay01.jpg

:wink:

jbigelow
04-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I've put it in #1 cyl runner approx 1-2" from the exhuast port on all my eleventy billion turbo cars I have had.

Works great.

thanx for the pic,

john

SouthernCrane
04-20-2005, 12:29 PM
EGTs are relative anyway. No matter where you place it, you should note what EGTs are normal for your setup. Then if EGTs rise above what you normally see, you should probably start letting off the gas.

This is why I decided to put mine about two inches down from the top of my downpipe. I had also heard a few horror stories about people whose probes broke off and killed the turbo (although pretty rare).

MarkSAE
04-20-2005, 12:48 PM
I had a greddy probe break off on me and got sucked through my turbo on my 1g DSM. Luckily, only the tip of it broke off and it didn't damage my turbo. I sure felt it when it broke though. I was driving on the freeway. The probe was around 30k miles old.

earlyapex
04-20-2005, 01:13 PM

This is why I decided to put mine about two inches down from the top of my downpipe. I had also heard a few horror stories about people whose probes broke off and killed the turbo (although pretty rare).

So how do you compare your EGT readings when you tune?

The traditional install location on #1 runner is tune for a tad under 900c.

So what do you tune for?

SouthernCrane
04-20-2005, 01:29 PM
So how do you compare your EGT readings when you tune?

The traditional install location on #1 runner is tune for a tad under 900c.

So what do you tune for?

I don't tune my car, although I wish I could do it myself :(

MarkSAE
04-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't tune off EGTs. It's not that accurate for tuning. EGT varies with ignition timing and a/f ratio. You can't tell what's happening just from the temp reading. Retarded timing = higher EGTs, so does leaner A/F ratios. For a gauge that sweeps 270 degrees, only a small portion of it gives you useful information, in between the 800-900C region (for manifold mounted).

IMO, the only thing EGT is good for is a warning gauge. If your EGTs get really high, you'll know you're either detonating or your ECU is pulling timing. Either way, you should let off the gas.

Placing the EGT probe further downstream of the exhaust will decrease the responsiveness of the readouts. You'll probably miss spikes in temperature happening in the exhaust manifold.

earlyapex
04-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't tune off EGTs. It's not that accurate for tuning. EGT varies with ignition timing and a/f ratio. You can't tell what's happening just from the temp reading. Retarded timing = higher EGTs, so does leaner A/F ratios. For a gauge that sweeps 270 degrees, only a small portion of it gives you useful information, in between the 800-900C region (for manifold mounted).

IMO, the only thing EGT is good for is a warning gauge. If your EGTs get really high, you'll know you're either detonating or your ECU is pulling timing. Either way, you should let off the gas.

Placing the EGT probe further downstream of the exhaust will decrease the responsiveness of the readouts. You'll probably miss spikes in temperature happening in the exhaust manifold.

You just said with an EGT you can't tell whats happening just from the temp reading but then you said with an EGT, if your temps get really high, you know your either detonating or pulling timing.

????

EGT + logging = works for me.

MarkSAE
04-20-2005, 06:05 PM
You just said with an EGT you can't tell whats happening just from the temp reading but then you said with an EGT, if your temps get really high, you know your either detonating or pulling timing.

????

EGT + logging = works for me.

Let me clarify. EGT doesn't tell you exactly what's happening. You can have no knock and still get high EGTs, depending on how the timing is set. You can run rich, low timing, no knock, and still get high EGTs.

IMO, wideband+logger would be the way to tune. I'd have an EGT as a warning device, but not tune with it.

GST
04-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I would put it on #2

Mike

jbigelow
04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
thanx for all your help guys. wilson probably asked this question for me.

i decided either runner #1 or runner #2, so i chose #2 so i wouldn't have to cut the arc titanium heat shield.

thanx again,
john

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODkxOTg5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODkxOTkwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

TylerO@WORKS
05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Looking DAMN good John!

If you want to use EGT for tuning... you really need one for each runner!

Come on Wilson, I think we have 4 Defi EGT in stock!

:D

Also don't even try to tune without a good wideband and dataloging.

GokuSSJ4
05-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Gino from GBMOtorsports installed mine on the 1st runner. I originally wanted on the 3rd because I used to have a turbo integra and most of the honda gurus pointed out that the 3rd cylinder on the honda motor runs leanest. But again, this is Mitsubishi, so I just trusted Gino on the 1st runner. :roll: :D

Btw... I've gotten as high as 1750 degrees or even higher during one of my sessions at thunderhill last year with the weather temp outside at 95 degrees.
1st runner suggested by RRE and Dr. Gray. Great for tuning, along with air/fuel ratio and a pocket logger.
are you serious with 1750 ??? wow !!! the most i seen at a track day its near 840

methods4
05-19-2005, 09:46 AM

1st runner suggested by RRE and Dr. Gray. Great for tuning, along with air/fuel ratio and a pocket logger.
are you serious with 1750 ??? wow !!! the most i seen at a track day its near 840

I'm sure you two are talking Farenheit vs. Celsius.

TylerO@WORKS
05-19-2005, 10:02 AM

I'm sure you two are talking Farenheit vs. Celsius.

yeah 1750 Celsius is a melt down....

Dr. Evo
05-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Every 4g63 engine I have eve seen with a lean problem occurs in cylinder 2 first. I don't know quit why. I have seen a handful of melted pistons/valves, and they are always in cyl 2 also. So because of what I have seen, I put it into #2.