PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar

tartarus
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Might be a noob question, is clay barring worth it (if one has the time) and also, how often do you use it...I am assuming I have the order correct that you wash and dry, then clay, then wax? Thanks guys

noypiC50
07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
wash
dry
claybar
polish
wax

evo+supra
07-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Might be a noob question, is clay barring worth it (if one has the time) and also, how often do you use it...I am assuming I have the order correct that you wash and dry, then clay, then wax? Thanks guys
Yes it is absolutely worth it if you know what your doing. And it all depends on your car as far as how often you need to apply. Sometimes it may need it more often.

inYubaSha
07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
claybar once a year, maybe twice,
but the hood possibly more often, really helps get the bug residue off

use alot of lube, chop bar into eight equal pieces, so you can throw away after its dirty (keep folding it like dough to hide dirt/debris, till its not yellow)

Kings Fan
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm a lazy ass, so I try to claybar 2x a year. But like Shane said, claybar the hood more since it gets more crap thrown on it. Also I don't bother letting the car dry before claybarring.

spooolin4g63
07-23-2009, 07:56 PM
you will be suprised what the claybar picks....its time consuming but well worted

twEeker
07-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I claybar while the soap and water is on the car. rinse, Wash, claybar, rinse, dry. Works fine, no scratches and saves money on the claybar lube.

evo+supra
07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I claybar while the soap and water is on the car. rinse, Wash, claybar, rinse, dry. Works fine, no scratches and saves money on the claybar lube.

This is not a proper way to clay bar a car. Most clay bars are made out of synthetics. Water and soap will only ruin these synthetics and increase the breakdown of your claybar.

You need to use actual clay lubricant when using and storing your clay bar.

I guess if your looking at saving money its either save your clay and have your clay be more effective or save on lube and the clay isnt going to last as long and thus making it less effective.

twEeker
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
I disagree, if it is true that the soap breaks down the claybar, then it will do it so slowley it will be hardly noticable. I have a claybar I have detailed over a hundred cars with, still effective, and still leaves the car smooth and clean and the clay still has the same consistancy as the day I got it. The price of the lube isnt an issue, but why take that extra step when its really not needed.

evo+supra
08-29-2009, 12:33 PM
I highly doubt you have clayed over a hundred cars with the same clay bar because if you did you probably swirled those hundred cars you did.

Look bud, I have been doing detailing for almost a decade on a professional level so I know what I'm talking about. Your not going to fool me. The average synthetic clay bar when used properly for every 4 ounces lasts about every 3 cars depending on the severity of contaminants and industrial fallout there is on the car.

Also when i was a ameture I used soap and water with synthetic clay which is what all good brands of clay are made out of and I could definitely tell the difference in just the texture and effectiveness of the clay! Instead of doing 3 cars properly I could only get 1 done.

If you were to study detailing as I have over the years you will find that the biochemical makeup of these sythetic clays don't mesh well with soap and water. I have detailed a number of members cars on this forum and other forums and I am sure they will tell you that I know what I'm doing and talking about! I am definitely no bs'er.

If you want to know more on this topic I can definitely help you and answer any other questions you may have.

Otherwise please don't spread these false facts around because I'm tryin to preserve the paint and other surfaces on the communities cars not destroy them

noypiC50
08-29-2009, 03:13 PM
ahahah 100 cars, when i do claybar i could only use them on 2-3 cars depending on the severity of the cars finish.
hey evo+supra what do you recommend as over the counter polish and wax i could buy at any auto store, i know there are better ones like adams etc but i just want the otc stuff, are there any worth buying?

Also how effective is hand applied polish to the car, i really don't want to use a machine as the paint on my evo is already thin.
Can you give us proper steps on doing the interior also? What over the counter products are good for my interior? thanks

evo+supra
08-29-2009, 04:08 PM
ahahah 100 cars, when i do claybar i could only use them on 2-3 cars depending on the severity of the cars finish.
hey evo+supra what do you recommend as over the counter polish and wax i could buy at any auto store, i know there are better ones like adams etc but i just want the otc stuff, are there any worth buying?

Also how effective is hand applied polish to the car, i really don't want to use a machine as the paint on my evo is already thin.
Can you give us proper steps on doing the interior also? What over the counter products are good for my interior? thanks

To be honest with you the only thing I'd buy over the counter for wax is meguiars tech wax. As far as polish I'd only buy high end polishes as that's a very important ingredient in the detail process. And as far as hand applying it you just won't get the same finish as you would with an professional high end orbital.

This is why i recommend in order to do the detail process correctly and right the first time take your car to me and have it done perfectly! I have everything needed to do it properly! And I don't charge much.

However, if you must tackle this on your own be very careful and please ask any questions and research what your doing! I have seen so many ametures ruin their clearcoats because of improper usage and application of products.

evo+supra
08-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Also i forgot to mention a professional high grade orbital will not ruin your paint no matter how thin it is. I have actually restored peoples finishes because I know what I'm doing and I have the years of experience to back it up!

b-ron
08-29-2009, 05:04 PM
wow 100 cars with one clay bay!!!! must sold like nails on a chalk bored lol

and as far as using a polish by hand is not the best idea because you actually have to break down the polish buy working it into the paint to get the best results

evo+supra
08-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes that's obviously a rediculous claim. After 3 cars the clay bar shows signs of serious deterioration. Especially after doing highly contaminated cars! I can only imagine using soap and water for this process.

Anyways, just curious do you do detailing as well?

b-ron
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
yes i do!!! just doing it on the side now because my mobile unit did not pan out as well as i hoped. but i want to get it going again next summer

evo+supra
08-29-2009, 09:12 PM
yes i do!!! just doing it on the side now because my mobile unit did not pan out as well as i hoped. but i want to get it going again next summer

Oh that's cool! I use to have a mobile unit as well down in San Diego! It did very well!!! I just got burnt out after a year! Now I do it on the side for fun and for the community.

b-ron
08-29-2009, 09:31 PM
good shit!!!!

grideevo
11-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Clay Bar Kicks arse, takes a lot of time so just work it one panel at a time and your ride will be smooth as silk. My favorite test is after clay bar and waxing I throw a clean towel at the hood and if it slides off like ice, its all good.....