PDA

View Full Version : GSC vs HKS 272/272 cams

LEVIII
05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I am very close to picking up some cams and have been trying to decide between these 2 brands. ANyone on here have any exp with both? I searched around on evom but didnt really find what I wanted, mostly people saying " I love GSC" You input would be appreciated

V8KiLL3R
05-02-2005, 09:34 PM
i love my HKS my setup is 246/272 and its great.... specially if you add SAFC and then get it tuned!!!! as far as GSC dunno much about the cams.....

LEVIII
05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
i love my HKS my setup is 246/272 and its great.... specially if you add SAFC and then get it tuned!!!! as far as GSC dunno much about the cams.....

Why did you chose the 264/272 (I assume you meant 264 not 246) rather than the 272/272

Whooopasss
05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I would go with GSC (incidentally Brwnrice is selling one brandnew). the 272/264 setup makes sence. You will have more air in than a 264/273 setup.

V8KiLL3R
05-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Why did you chose the 264/272 (I assume you meant 264 not 246) rather than the 272/272

nope i actually have the 264/272 setup

neogenetik
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
hey levi
ill be getting my gsc 272/264 cams installed this weekend
so ill keep u posted

LEVIII
05-03-2005, 07:52 PM

Hmmm, I meant 264 cause in the first post by you you wrote 246 and Ive nver heard of 246 cams

V8KiLL3R
05-03-2005, 08:31 PM

Hmmm, I meant 264 cause in the first post by you you wrote 246 and Ive nver heard of 246 cams

oh yeah i just noticed that its 264/272 hehehe

brwnrice
05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
both are great cams and i would recommend the latter if you are on a budget. if you guys havent noticed already that most aftermarket cams causes some ticking sound on initial startup but go away when the engine is fully warmed up. just a little factoid from my experience

LEVIII
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
How much of a gain can I expect with these not having any kind of engine mangmt or flash yet, because I dont know what Im gonna go with

brwnrice
05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
How much of a gain can I expect with these not having any kind of engine mangmt or flash yet, because I dont know what Im gonna go with

first, list your current mods so we can guesstimate

nebolic
05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
i think its anywhere between 10WHP to 30WHP given the 30WHP is tuned. . . . :D

nebo

ez76
05-04-2005, 12:33 AM
both are great cams and i would recommend the latter if you are on a budget. if you guys havent noticed already that most aftermarket cams causes some ticking sound on initial startup but go away when the engine is fully warmed up. just a little factoid from my experience

there was some speculation on EvoM that this has to do with whether or not you bleed the lifters during the install?

V8KiLL3R
05-04-2005, 08:56 AM

there was some speculation on EvoM that this has to do with whether or not you bleed the lifters during the install?

when i had my cams installed the mechanic had my cams turn about 3 times before he put evrything back.

xchoirboy
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM

What does bleed the lifters mean?

brwnrice
05-04-2005, 09:41 AM
when i installed my hks cams i bled the lifters and turned the crank more than three times to make sure everything is correct but it still had that clicking sound. did some research and found out that everybody who had hks cams have the same problem. it's not so much that its going to affect reliability of the cams but i guess that is one of the trade offs getting an aftermarket parts.

LEVIII
05-04-2005, 07:57 PM

HKS Racing Suction intake, HKS SSQV, Helix 3" DP, RMR 3" high flow cat, Helix 3" cat-back, Buschur deluxe FMIC kit, TurboXS HP MBC set at 20psi

Thats it, then the cams in a couple weeks

V8KiLL3R
05-04-2005, 09:25 PM

HKS Racing Suction intake, HKS SSQV, Helix 3" DP, RMR 3" high flow cat, Helix 3" cat-back, Buschur deluxe FMIC kit, TurboXS HP MBC set at 20psi

Thats it, then the cams in a couple weeks

So........ did you decide what to get? all you need now after your cams are the SAFC or just get a flash from vishnu or works whatever you prefere..... :)

brwnrice
05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
240-250 ish whp

V8KiLL3R
05-04-2005, 10:44 PM
i have the following then got em dynoed at gruppe-s
helix dp 3"
helix cat delete
helix cat back 3"
P2
hks drop inn filter
hks earth ground

250 all 3 pulls tourqe varies from 240 to almost 250

LEVIII
05-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Dang, I was thinking it would be a little more. Oh well the car feels better then ever.

As for the engine mngmt I cant freaking decide. I love the simplicity of a flash it and forget about it and have been really liking the reviews on the dynoflash but I hate that if I ever want to run race gas I am stuck with the crappy 91 octane maps. I had a UTEC for a while but it was a little over my head. ALthough I learned ALOT about tuning from it, it was just to expensive with locals quoting over 2 grand to tune it. thats nuts.

GokuSSJ4
05-05-2005, 12:25 PM
when i installed my hks cams i bled the lifters and turned the crank more than three times to make sure everything is correct but it still had that clicking sound. did some research and found out that everybody who had hks cams have the same problem. it's not so much that its going to affect reliability of the cams but i guess that is one of the trade offs getting an aftermarket parts.
I hope with running aftermarket doesn't mean replacing your lifters every so often :?

TarmacAttack
05-06-2005, 01:27 AM
I hope with running aftermarket doesn't mean replacing your lifters every so often :?

I wouldn't worry about replacing the lifters.

Lifters in evo's are hydraulic. They need pressure to operate normally. When the engine is running, it's pumping oil though the lifters. Even though there's a lot of pressure going though the lifters at high rpm, there's a bleed hole at the top so that it creates just enough pressure to keep the lifers expanded. When you change cams, the lifters expand fully and it sucks air in. For the noobs, oil is heavier than air, duh. The piston chamber in is very small with the bleed hole and fill hole even smaller. When you put the cams back in, the air is then compressed and pushes the oil back though the bottom of the lifter though the pressure hole. When you first start the car after you change cams, since there's air in the chamber, the lifter will collaspe rather than pushing the valve down and will create noise until all the air bleeds out of the lifter. That's why the noise will go away after a few minutes. Remember that air compresses and liquids don't. So even though you start the car and the lifter is starting to fill with oil not all of the air is being bleed out. The bleed hole sits under the the rocker so it takes a little while to bleed.

And that's the short version.

evo_dadi
05-06-2005, 06:43 AM
it was just to expensive with locals quoting over 2 grand to tune it. thats nuts.

whoa that is a lot :shock: :shock: