PDA

View Full Version : Feb 28th Exhaust comparison volunteers

evo_dadi
02-15-2004, 10:43 PM
I would like to get volunteers who have an aftermarket exhaust on their Evos for recording sound clips on the day of the meet. so we could have a listing and sound sample of all the different exhausts. We'll take sounds from the inside & outside of the car (at idle and revving from 4500rpm). We'll be recording it from a certain distance and using a db meter at the same time, so guys post the setup of your exhaust so we can make a list of volunteers. Also, we will be recording a stock Evo to establish a base line sound level for people to compare against. All cars must have the stock cat installed.
[list]
Name / exhaust setup
1. Evo_Dadi / RMR Turboback
2. JanSolo / Buschur Racing Catback
3. ytsejam / WorksRally Exhale
4. Southern Crane / Vishnu Signature Catback
5. brwnrice / Stock Exhaust (the baseline guy!)
6. Wilson1 / Perrin Catback
7. Nebolic / HKS Hi-Power Catback
8. JStockdale / Works Exhale, IP, DP
9.Tanabe Ultra Medallion Cat-back,dp

[/list:u]

ytsejam
02-15-2004, 10:51 PM
i have an exhale...if you need a sound clip for it..

ytsejam
02-15-2004, 10:51 PM
nebolic has HKS Hiper Catback...he might be participating too...

JanSolo
02-15-2004, 10:52 PM
i have an exhale...if you need a sound clip for it..

Ok we will include your Works Exhale as well. Hopefully we can an Exhale with a IP (hint, hint Lord Stockdale!).

brwnrice
02-15-2004, 11:00 PM
nobody has the helix exhaust?

SouthernCrane
02-15-2004, 11:01 PM
I've got the Vishnu Signature Series cat-back

JanSolo
02-15-2004, 11:02 PM

Cal does.

Thanks, we will add you to the list of volunteers.

brwnrice
02-15-2004, 11:09 PM

Cal does.

Thanks, we will add you to the list of volunteers.

oh yeah huh :oops: hopefully i'll finally decide what kind of exhaust should i buy after the meet.

nebolic
02-16-2004, 12:09 AM
you can put me down for the HKS catback if you still need one.

02-16-2004, 01:16 AM
eh evodadi, i will try to test my pipe sound

jstockdale
02-16-2004, 03:50 AM
Jan: Yeah put me down for the full Exhale (DP+IP+AB)

I'm definitely planning on being there.

-S ...

xchoirboy
02-16-2004, 07:19 AM
you can put me down for stock.

JanSolo
02-16-2004, 10:08 AM

Oops! Brwnrice already volunteered for the stock Evo.

If anyone has the RnR exhaust, don't bother applying. We already have a Buschur exhaust and the RnR is a blatant ripoff of it.

blitzkrgCT9A
02-16-2004, 01:15 PM
I will be there

vtluu
02-16-2004, 01:35 PM

If anyone has the RnR exhaust, don't bother applying. We already have a Buschur exhaust and the RnR is a blatant ripoff of it.
Might be interesting to hear Leroy's stock (XFlashed) Evo to see if the XFlash changed anything. I know, I know, very very probably not, but it can't hurt to try.

As for the RnR, we might as well too, IMO. Having more datapoints is good.

Anybody have a good mic/portable recording setup? Also, a sound dB meter?

warpspeed
02-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Since evo_dadi has a RMR turbo back, do you guys want one with a RMR cat-back like I have on mine so you can compare any sound difference? I'm game.

JanSolo
02-16-2004, 06:57 PM
The RnR exhaust is a complete duplicate of the Buschur, so there is no point IMHO. Might as well just take a second Buschur catback for comparison to another Buschur exhaust.

That's okay though, since no one probably has that exhaust.

chris
02-16-2004, 09:46 PM

hahaha :roll:

brwnrice
02-20-2004, 09:32 PM
evodadi, since i bought my espelir exhaust humbly withdraw my position as the baseline guy but i volunteer to be the one having an espelir catback though.

JanSolo
02-20-2004, 10:56 PM
evodadi, since i bought my espelir exhaust humbly withdraw my position as the baseline guy but i volunteer to be the one having an espelir catback though.

Will you have it in time for the meet?

vtluu
02-20-2004, 11:57 PM
I will bravely volunteer not to get the Buschur catback just so I provide the baseline/stock exhaust car. :lol:

vtluu
02-21-2004, 02:30 PM
On a related note, does anyone have:
- A sound level (dB) meter;
- A decent microphone;

that we could use?

brwnrice
02-21-2004, 05:40 PM
got the tracking number and ETA is "tuesday". i'll have it in time for the meet if everything goes well.

CollinsT
02-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Ok now this is what I want to see, and hear, well I will be there on the 28th, and I can finally hear how all these exhausts sound.

usdmct9a
02-23-2004, 09:42 AM
I've got Tanabe's Ultra Medallion Exhaust +Tanabe Downpipe I'd like to volunteer just to see how it measures up.

evo_dadi
02-23-2004, 09:53 AM
[list]
Name / exhaust setup
5. brwnrice / Espilir Exhaust
9. usdmct9a/Tanabe Ultra Medallion Catback, dp
10. Vtluu / Stock Exhaust

done,this should be a good list of comparisons of exhaust set-ups. hey brwnrice when should we change your exhaust from stock to espilir :)

vtluu
02-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey walgreens, what about you? I think it would be great to have an Evo with the "muffler-delete" option for comparison too.

EDIT: saw walgreens' post earlier. Marcel, you wanna put him on the list under "muffler-delete pipe"?

JanSolo
02-23-2004, 10:35 AM
I think the problem with Walgreens muffler delete is that it is a custom job. I would prefer to document exhausts that people can readily buy from any online vendor.

vtluu
02-23-2004, 11:26 AM
I think it wouldn't hurt to have it anyway. Besides, a big "YMMV" applies to any of the results we'll get... and there shouldn't be much variations on a muffler-delete pipe anyway. Also, the reason I'd like to record *first* is that it--being the loudest thing possible--would allow us to calibrate our recording setup.

JanSolo
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
With all the happenings at the meet and the sheer amount of time to coordinate it all, I am going to have put my vote in not to tape Walgreens exhaust. Does not seem worth it unless someone decides they like his setup and wants to buy a similar setup.

SouthernCrane
02-23-2004, 12:01 PM
On a related note, does anyone have:
- A sound level (dB) meter;
- A decent microphone;

that we could use?

I have dB meter i think, i'll try and look for it. How close are we going to get with it (i.e. position, distance from exhaust), because i don't want the damn thing turning black. I hope i can find it.

vtluu
02-23-2004, 12:27 PM
We're going to follow the same rules the DMV uses to test compliance of exhaust systems: 8" up, 20" away at a horizontal angle of 45 degrees off-center. Testing is done at 75% of redline RPM (5250 for the Evo).

If we get it dirty, I promise to personally clean it for you. :)

GReddy_917
02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey guys I just got my Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper exhaust today to go with my Helix DP...so I guess you can put me down too. :)

SouthernCrane
02-23-2004, 02:05 PM
We're going to follow the same rules the DMV uses to test compliance of exhaust systems: 8" up, 20" away at a horizontal angle of 45 degrees off-center. Testing is done at 75% of redline RPM (5250 for the Evo).

If we get it dirty, I promise to personally clean it for you. :)

Sounds good, I don't think it will get too dirty at that position. Now all I have to do is find the damn thing....

evo_dadi
02-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey guys I just got my Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper exhaust today to go with my Helix DP...so I guess you can put me down too. :)

got one already but just be ready you never know when who's gonna be ready :)

brwnrice
02-23-2004, 09:47 PM
[list]
Name / exhaust setup

done,this should be a good list of comparisons of exhaust set-ups. hey brwnrice when should we change your exhaust from stock to espilir :)

the fedex man will drop off my exhaust tomorrow *crosses fingers* and hopefully install it that night. bought a dp from bushur for a low, low price of $150 and supposedly my k&n typhoon intake will be here all within this week. will the intake and dp be a factor on how loud the exhaust?

evo_dadi
02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
the dp yeah but for the intake it will make the bov more audible :) psssh psssh

JanSolo
02-23-2004, 10:26 PM
And a dp without a hiflow cat or test pipe will apparently screw up flow characteristics. What does that mean? I'm not sure exactly! :?:

SouthernCrane
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
found the dB meter, but left it in Jan's car when I test drove his P2. He'll bring it on saturday, so if it's not there, blame him :wink:

brwnrice
02-23-2004, 11:03 PM
And a dp without a hiflow cat or test pipe will apparently screw up flow characteristics. What does that mean? I'm not sure exactly! :?:

hahahaha! it would not matter anyways because my dp is predented already :lol:

EvoVIII
02-23-2004, 11:07 PM
you can try mine out if you want, i got a HKS dp, Ultimate Racing High Flow, and HKS carbon Ti

GReddy_917
02-24-2004, 07:26 AM
got one already but just be ready you never know when who's gonna be ready :)

Not accoring to the list above bro....You have the other Tanabe....I have the HYPER its new.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/medalionhyper.asp

evo_dadi
02-25-2004, 12:43 AM
[list]
Name / exhaust setup
11. greddy_917/Tanabe Medallion Hyper
12. Cal / Helix Catback

list updated and i think this would be it since it will take time to record and test all exhaust set-up. and i think it would work better if all the guys would line up right away upon getting to the shop so were ready right away when we start.

hey greddy i saw the link that you posted about the exhaust and it looks nice not too much bling on it. :mrgreen:

blitzkrgCT9A
02-25-2004, 02:50 AM
hmm..seems like im not invited to play? :roll:

vtluu
02-25-2004, 03:12 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, at the meet we can certainly add anybody else who shows up with an AM exhaust system that we don't have on the list...

JanSolo
02-25-2004, 09:13 AM

Yer so sensitive, Cal! ;)

One more exhaust added to the list.

blitzkrgCT9A
02-25-2004, 12:25 PM
haha not really. since i already know what most of the exhausts sound like. ;)

I've had buschur's full turbo-back exhaust on my GVR4. ;)

GReddy_917
02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
hey greddy i saw the link that you posted about the exhaust and it looks nice not too much bling on it. :mrgreen:

Yeah mang...Its very quiet as well. :D

torrentprime
02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
[list]
Name / exhaust setup
12. Cal / Helix Catback

Ok--this is now my "investigate on the web" list. I am trying to see what I want to buy for my virgin Evo. Guess the test on Saturday will help too.

CollinsT
02-25-2004, 05:50 PM
[list]
Name / exhaust setup
12. Cal / Helix Catback

Ok--this is now my "investigate on the web" list. I am trying to see what I want to buy for my virgin Evo. Guess the test on Saturday will help too.

Yes me too

evo_dadi
02-25-2004, 08:11 PM

oops :oops: i thought the helix was included already but i guess it is now :nanaL :buds:

blitzkrgCT9A
02-26-2004, 01:28 AM

oops :oops: i thought the helix was included already but i guess it is now :nanaL :buds:

ur sister got the same setup. you guys could have use her car. I was just trying to stir shit up. lol

evofan0717
03-01-2004, 08:05 AM
so what were the results of the comparison?

vtluu
03-01-2004, 08:52 AM
so what were the results of the comparison?
Sorry guys, I had to get to bed early Saturday (9pm) so I could get up at 4am Sunday and drive to Atwater for the American Auto-X Series. Got back last night and was exhausted so long story short I haven't processed the videos and recordings yet.

I'll PM people for the details on their exhaust systems today and will post numbers first, then sound and video clips.