PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys! Noob with some issues!!

O3EVO
05-13-2005, 06:15 PM
First off, hello to everone!

I recently purchased a 2003 EVO and couldn't be happier.....that was until I put the AEM intake and HKS BOV on.

When I first put the AEM intake on, everything was fine until the next day, when the car almost stalled on me at a light. It made me a little nervous but nothing to bad. Then later that night I was pulling into my driveway and she almost stalled again on me.

Well today I put the HKS SSQV BOV on and now it wants to almost stall on me at every light. And while pulling into my driveway it did finally stall on me.

Can you guys tell me anything to help me out, because I'm at the point of atleast taking off the BOV and maybe the intake if it doesn't go away!!

Thanks guys/gals, I really need your help!

vtluu
05-13-2005, 06:18 PM
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this." :roll:

Ahem... anyway welcome to the site; I'm sure others will have more constructive advice.

ez76
05-13-2005, 06:21 PM
History has shown that our Evos do not respond well to intake upgrades, especially without being tuned for them, and even then the improvement is marginal.

Aftermarket intakes can interfere with the way your Evo determines how much air is being taken in by the engine. This throws off the ECU which is why intakes generally need to be tuned.

carbonevo8
05-13-2005, 06:24 PM
well our cars are really touchy when it comes to altering the air flow. here's 2 things you can try 1. trun the maf sensor upside down so insted of looking at the top of the box when you pop the hood you'll be looking at the bottom. if that doesn't help you can try this next 2. buy a hks eids controller. this will adjust the air fuel so it wont stall out. If your not happy with those results then you can go buy a standalone ecu with its own mas air flow meter and then you'll never have a problem like this again but a standalone is gonna run $2000 fully tuned with all the meters. So your best bet is to recirc the bov and turn the maf upside down and that should fix your problems.

O3EVO
05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Alright guys. I flipped the MAf upside down and it helped tremendously, but still wants to drop down to 500RPM and then bounce back up once and a while!

Where I can I get a tune and why does a tune prevent this problem? Also how much is a tune?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!!

carbonevo8
05-13-2005, 07:14 PM
well a tune will only help the performance of the intake the problem you are having is the bov you either need a hks eids, recirc kit, or just take it off. You'd think in the intake installation directions they would tell you to turn it upside down but they dont you have to call them then they tell you that.

O3EVO
05-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Ok, I did a search on the EIDS, I'm guessing it plugs into the ecu? Can I do it myself??

Anyone have a link to a recirc kit for the BOV? Thanks a lot for your help!

ez76
05-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Where I can I get a tune and why does a tune prevent this problem? Also how much is a tune?

A tune would correct for the bad readings your MAF sensor gives when the intake is modified. Depending on whether you get a simple reflash or something more elaborate (piggyback, etc.) a tune costs upwards of $200+.

That being said, I have never heard of the "flip the MAF" trick and if that in fact works for you it would certainly be cheaper!

EvoRicer
05-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Ok I have the Injen Intake kit with Upper IC pipe and im running the HKS SSQV BOV also. I had the same prob a year ago...recircing the BOV didnt help any...So i Bought the HKS EIDS. At the time i really didnt want to touch my car on my own since i didnt kno anything about the wires running in the car...but since in Utah there were no good shops that kno what they are doing, i decided to wire the EIDS on my own...so yea its pretty simple...a little time consuming for me but i got it in no probs. I printed out a ECU diagram off RRE website i think and followed the instructions on the paper u get with the EIDS. Took me about an hour or so to get the EIDS in becuz i read the diagram the wrong way hehe. I have no stalling problems now but idle sometimes drop down when my foot is on the gas a tad. GL on the install. I wouldnt pay a shop to put it in tho...

O3EVO
05-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks Ricer! So the EIDS helped huh, I really enjoy the mods, I just hate the idle problem!!

BTW, do you know a guy name Dan Sligar? He lives near Hill AFB and drives a silver WRX? He is a good friend of mine and says he has a friend with an EVO that had the same problem with this BOV!

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I guess I will now look into ordering the EIDS!

EvoRicer
05-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Nah i dont kno anyone by that name. I dont live at Hill anymore i need to change my profile heh.

LEVIII
05-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know why turning the MAF sensor upside down works?

After I did mine I get an occasional backfire, do you think it is because of that?

GReddy_917
05-15-2005, 07:11 PM
1. Get rid of your current bov and (if you must make noise) get a GFB Stealth bov, otherwise put your stock valve back or an MR valve.

2. Put your stock intake back in and feel the diffrence.

Evo's consistently run better/smoother with the stock intake and a recirc bov.

Quite a few well known tuners have noted on the excellent design of the the stock intake and that it will support near 500hp.

O3EVO
05-18-2005, 08:13 AM
I really think the car was faster without the mods honestly!! I think I'm taking everything off on Friday.

What would putting the MR BOV on do for me?

The guys at Vishnu told me take off the intake it makes the car run rich! So as much as I like the noise of the intake and BOV, I really want this thing to be a driver, not a pain.

And I'm looking into the Vishnu stage 0 or stage 1 kit in the near future.

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!

What about a drop in filter like a K&N or the works filter? Is it worth it guys?

evo_dadi
05-18-2005, 08:43 AM
its actually the JDM MR bov thats a good replacement to the stockers since it can hold more boost and its a metal piece compared to the plastic stockers. imo youd be better off with a drop in filter not unless you can get tuned with an intake.

JanSolo
05-18-2005, 08:49 AM
What about a drop in filter like a K&N or the works filter? Is it worth it guys?

The K&N has a smaller surface area and has too much oil on it, IMHO. The oil part can be resolved, but the smaller surface area is a different matter.

r6bruin
05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok, I did a search on the EIDS, I'm guessing it plugs into the ecu? Can I do it myself??

Anyone have a link to a recirc kit for the BOV? Thanks a lot for your help!

I think I got an extra recirc kit for HKS BOV, PM me if you want it :wink: