PDA

View Full Version : Got my first P0300 code last week...

vtluu
05-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Just cruising along on the freeway at 3k RPM and about 70 mph, and the SES light came on. Car still felt just fine, I figured it was probably nothing...

Later that day I happened be driving in the Fry's parking lot near my place looking for a place to park, and the car stalled as I was starting it from a stop--nothing tricky like on a hill or anything, I haven't stalled the car that way in ages (except maybe once when I left the car in 3rd gear at a light). It was odd but I figured whatever, maybe my foot slipped or something, but the weird thing is I had a bit of trouble getting the car started again. Cranked the starter for a few seconds, no start. Did it again, cranked the starter again for what must have been about 3-4 seconds and the car started again and seemed to run normally afterwards (I drove straight home).

When I got home I hooked up the OBDII reader and got 3 codes: P0300 (no big surprise there), P0340 ("Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction") and P0345 ("Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent Bank 2"). Cleared the codes, and in the few days since the car has been just fine, behaving normally, no problems starting...

Should I be worried? Was the little stalling/starting problem in the parking lot just coincidental? (Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if the codes all were generated at the same time, or if the P0340 and P0345 codes happened later.) Or maybe both were caused by a bit of bad gas in the system that day?

EVO GRIM
05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
I got my 3rd p0300 on the way to the autocross on sat. Mine have always been at cruzing spped. Gave it some gas and it sounded like a machine gun. Let off and saw the code, and said oh shit, but it was fine after that. How many miles on your plugs tam? I'm close to 20k on the stockers.

chrisw
05-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Just cruising along on the freeway at 3k RPM and about 70 mph, and the SES light came on. Car still felt just fine, I figured it was probably nothing...

Later that day I happened be driving in the Fry's parking lot near my place looking for a place to park, and the car stalled as I was starting it from a stop--nothing tricky like on a hill or anything, I haven't stalled the car that way in ages (except maybe once when I left the car in 3rd gear at a light). It was odd but I figured whatever, maybe my foot slipped or something, but the weird thing is I had a bit of trouble getting the car started again. Cranked the starter for a few seconds, no start. Did it again, cranked the starter again for what must have been about 3-4 seconds and the car started again and seemed to run normally afterwards (I drove straight home).

When I got home I hooked up the OBDII reader and got 3 codes: P0300 (no big surprise there), P0340 ("Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction") and P0345 ("Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent Bank 2"). Cleared the codes, and in the few days since the car has been just fine, behaving normally, no problems starting...

Should I be worried? Was the little stalling/starting problem in the parking lot just coincidental? (Unfortunately I have no way of knowing if the codes all were generated at the same time, or if the P0340 and P0345 codes happened later.) Or maybe both were caused by a bit of bad gas in the system that day?

I would not worry about the p0300, but the others are kind of weird...

Even after getting my ECU reflashed, I can get the P0300 code if the weather conditions are just right (cold rainy thunderstorm kinda weather). It also depends on the gas I use in combination with the weather. I have seen the problem more with Chevron and Mobil gas, and I have never seen the problem with gas from the cheap places like rotten robbies (go figure :?: )

also, if you see this error again, I can pull the code and look at the freeze frame data associated with each code. Might help diagnose what's going on.

GokuSSJ4
05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
After stalling (while parking) the car 2 codes pop up as well, same as yours. I was able to hook up my OBDII reader and the codes were similar to what you describe (since i remember it had to do with crank angle sensor) i clear them and i have had no issues what so ever. Nothing to worry about, this was at least 5 months ago, after that the car was dyno and its making a good amount of power, egts are looking great (both on closed loop and open loop) while driving on the street and at the track, air/fuel ratio looks great as well from 11.2 to 9.9 (top end) since you want to run abit rich at top end. Its a nice conservative tune since the car is use for road race (no need to go balls out and get every single hp out of it )

vtluu
05-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks, I may go get an update for the P0300 (but since I have an OBDII reader and can clear the codes myself, I might not bother), and I'll take it in if the other codes recur...

1800 miles left before the first bit of my warranty (36k miles) runs out... :twisted:

Marshall, I'm using fairly new (maybe about 8k miles) NGK BPR7EIX plugs.

BOOSTonHanD
07-01-2005, 06:09 AM
where can i go get my ses light checked out. i dont have a obdII reader so i cant see shi_t. any info is good info. i just got a flash and two days later it came one during a quick run in the hills.

SouthernCrane
07-01-2005, 07:01 AM
where can i go get my ses light checked out. i dont have a obdII reader so i cant see shi_t. any info is good info. i just got a flash and two days later it came one during a quick run in the hills.

kragen or pepboys will read it for free, or you could meet up with me somewhere.

LEVIII
07-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Hey Tam, are you on stock cams?

vtluu
07-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, stock cams. I've averaged almost one P0300 code every week, since roughly the time I put on the WORKS catback I think. I don't know if that's what made the difference, I mean I figure the flow characteristics would be not that different from the Buschur catback I had before. :?