PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation

nebolic
02-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,

Not sure how relevant or useful this info is, but I just called BIG O tires, a big chainstore for tires, and they offer free tire rotation, even if you didnt buy tires there. I know it might be important for some folks as they change their own oil and its a big job (sort of) to rotate all 4 tires. And if you take it to the dealer, i believe they charge you about 20 bucks just to rotate your tires. I will go this weekend and see if its really free, (I just called them and they confirmed) and if it indeed is free, i'll post up. Sorry if you guys already knew this, but i thought it might be useful info for more people.

Thanks,
Nebo

vtluu
02-17-2004, 02:25 PM
I rotate my own tires--after every other auto-x event--but I can only swap front & rear since I can't take the tires off the wheels to turn them around.

thomas
02-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I rotate my own tires--after every other auto-x event--but I can only swap front & rear since I can't take the tires off the wheels to turn them around.

no one asked if you rotated your own tires :roll: nebolic was juss stating where peeps could get a free tire rotation...im all for that.

i wish my garage was big enuf for a lift. i swear id buy one :shock:

Mrs. Solo
02-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Woohoo, thanks for the info.. Is that all Big O tire places? Definitely let us know how it goes when you go there :)

ytsejam
02-17-2004, 04:09 PM
no need to be hatin' thomas... ;)
like cartman said, "whateva....i do what i want..."

:)

vtluu
02-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Thomas, what I meant to ask was, will they re-mount the tires so they can swap left & right? (Or do they just swap front & rear like I do?)

Also, be sure to adjust your tire pressure after the rotation.

nebolic
02-17-2004, 04:27 PM
i think pretty sure they'll just do the front to the back, now if they do decide to take the tires off and remount i will opt not to do it because it will cause major scratches on my rims (stock) which i cant justify for unless i'm switching new tires, so ... most likely it will be front to back, but i will ask them whats the dealio with the unmount and mount.

hmm about the tire pressure, i find that everytime i go get my tires done or whatever it is, they always over inflate my tires ... bleh i will have to watch them very closely.

ytsejam
02-17-2004, 04:31 PM
well i actually forgot do my tire rotations after 15K and when i realized it, my front tires are pretty much bald... :)

warpspeed
02-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Just be careful they don't mess anything up. Especially when they lift the car. BTW fellas, you can't really turn the tires around because they are directional. Meaning, they are meant to roll one direction. One more thing, make sure they don't mess up you lug nuts with the impact.

vtluu
02-17-2004, 05:00 PM
BTW fellas, you can't really turn the tires around because they are directional. Meaning, they are meant to roll one direction.
Well, all that means is that you need to flip the tire around--take it off the wheel, flip around, and mount it back on the wheel. If the left and right were really different you would see them listed separately for example at TireRack.

I tend to keep my tires at fairly high pressure to keep the sidewalls stiff. 40/38 (front/rear) for auto-x, 37/35 for normal driving.

W/regards to lugs, when I first used my torque wrench I was surprised how little torque the recommended amount is. I think I was using a lot more torque before, and I suspect the shop using air tools would seriously over-torque them.

warpspeed
02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Those arrows on the tires ("Direction of rotation) is because the thread are meant to roll in one direction. So if you flip them around, you would be going against the thread. If I am getting your thinking about flipping the tires around and remounting them again.
Read this info.

http://www.autosite.com/garage/repairqa/ques149.asp

vtluu
02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
If I were to flip the tire on its rim and mount it back in the same place, yeah I would have it backwards. But if I flip the tire on its rim and then mount it on the other side of the car, everything is pointed the right way again. I could do this because the tires are symmetrical (unlike the Falken Azenis for example)--you'll find those directional arrows on both sidewalls. In other words, when you buy a set of A046s all 4 tires are the same. They just need to be mounted the right way for each side.

Or am I just wrong about that?

thomas
02-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Thomas, what I meant to ask was, will they re-mount the tires so they can swap left & right? (Or do they just swap front & rear like I do?)

Also, be sure to adjust your tire pressure after the rotation.

my bad...dont mean to snap...

i think theyll only do front to back and vice versa. the other way seems like alot of work. dont think theyll opt for "free of charge." if you ask them for that service.

:idea: haha, i got an idea, lets have a mini meet at Big O tires for free tire rotations, LOL.

thx for the reminder, i need to check my tire pressure now...

BluEvo
02-17-2004, 06:05 PM
:skid: = tire rotation...lolz