PDA

View Full Version : Hankook z212s aka Rs2s

bdking57
05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
I just got a set of RS2s for $120 a tire at American tire company.. this seems to have been a pretty awesome deal. The tread design is almost a replica of the Advan Neova and i have heard nothing but good things about these tires so far. Installation for each tire was 10 a piece.. so i ended up spending 5xx for an acceptable replacement for the stockers.

vtluu
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
That's a great price. I paid $118 apiece for the 245/47-17s--plus shipping and installation--from DiscountTireDirect.com. Which America's Tire did you go to?

1stSAGE
05-23-2005, 03:52 PM
How is the road noise and wet performance on these guys?

vtluu
05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Both substantially better than the Falken Azenis RT-215s. Though that's not saying much with regards to road noise, the Falkens--when worn down--are insanely loud on the freeway.

earlyapex
05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
So how is the grip Tam?

Better than azenis sport?

vtluu
05-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Unlike the Falkens I've never autocrossed on the 'Kooks, so it's hard for me to say. On the street they feel just as grippy though obviously I'm driving nowhere near their limits. ;)

From the discussions I've read on SCCAForums, the Solo2 folks who've run them say that they're better in the dry than the Falken RT-215s, don't overheat nearly as much, are lighter, and better in standing water. The RS2s compare favourably with the new RT-615s, though one thing I've heard is that for autocross, they're best if shaved because the tall tread blocks can squirm a bit. If I recall correctly they took 2 1st-place trophies at the Atlanta National Tour in the ST classes.

earlyapex
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Hrm, wonder how they are on the track. $120 a pop sounds nice. :)

earlyapex
05-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Tam, isn't the 245/45/17 size a bit tall?

man the 235/40/17's are only $108 each

http://www.millan.net/anims/giffar/bigrainbow.gif

vtluu
05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
They're slightly taller than stock but I had the Falkens in the same size so I guess I'm used to it. They'll make your fender gap look smaller giving your car the sick slammed look yo. :lol:

bdking57
05-24-2005, 09:38 AM
if was the shop in salinas.. If these work out good i think i will get another set of wheels and get the Z211 tires! This is the tire that is faster then the RA-1 for $163.. although it does not have the same life. They are producing it in 30 and 50 tredwear ratings.. we had the rep for hankook on the phone while i was there. He was pointing me towards the hoosier beater z214s.. to bad they arent making them in 230-250 sizes.

bdking57
05-24-2005, 01:37 PM
uhoh... i ordered the 245/45/17s and im on hotchks springs... should be cool right? 8) Some autox on these tires on evom and said they had excellet grip..they said the grip was right inline with the advans but the advan sharpness wasnt quite there because of the slightly softer side walls. They said they were still near impossible to beat for the price. I might be doing the autox at marina this weekend if they are on the car by then.

vtluu
05-24-2005, 07:24 PM
If you're worried about clearance, I had 245/45-17 Falkens on the stock wheels and suspension. Don't know how much the Hotchkis springs lower by, but I don't think they'll be a problem.

bdking57
05-25-2005, 09:07 AM
someone has said that this combo did in fact rub when lowered.. however it only occure and an extremely tight autox turn where the suspension was fully loaded.. he said it only did it that one time. The thing that concerns me is the extra height slows acceleration? Just how noitcable is this? If I understand correctly running a taller tire is increasing the gearing of the car.. so acceleration is slower but the the speed in each gear is higher.. which is better for autox? Seems like kinda of a trade off since i would be able to get more speed out of 2nd gear.

vtluu
05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Might hurt acceleration at the drag strip; it was never really an issue for auto-x--also because it basically makes your gears a bit taller, you don't tend to bounce of top of 2nd gear as much (at an autocross) and therefore don't have to waste time shifting to/from 3rd.

As for rubbing, I got a bit of rubbing now and then on the inside front fender liner even with the stock suspension + 245/45-17 tires, but for day-to-day driving it was never an issue.

methods4
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Not sure if this would necessarily apply to you since I was using a different brand and size. It seems that tire width numbers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, Percy's 225 Hoosiers were way wider than my 245 Kumho MX. And just eyeballing it, it looks like the stock 235 Advans are about the same width as my 245 Kumhos.

Anyays...
My 245/40/17 Kumho MX rubbed on my fender lining a little. My car is lowered on TEIN Flex's.

bdking57
05-25-2005, 11:03 AM
supposedly these tires are practically the same dimensions as the advans..so the 245 should definately be wider then the stockers... hmm well i might have to get a second set of wheels and get the z211s.

bdking57
05-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Might hurt acceleration at the drag strip; it was never really an issue for auto-x--also because it basically makes your gears a bit taller, you don't tend to bounce of top of 2nd gear as much (at an autocross) and therefore don't have to waste time shifting to/from 3rd.

As for rubbing, I got a bit of rubbing now and then on the inside front fender liner even with the stock suspension + 245/45-17 tires, but for day-to-day driving it was never an issue.

screw the drag strip.. im just worried about spirited back road driving

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album178/redblue.sized.jpg

bdking57
05-25-2005, 01:12 PM
ahh. one more question. If there is a rubbing problem, would running a spacer on the front wheel help?

vtluu
05-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Maybe. Depends on what's rubbing where.

Also, I don't know about your wheels but with mine, using spacers in front would require longer lug studs. I believe H&R spacer kits come with studs.

bdking57
05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Tires are on the car.. the rubber looks awesome.. Its looking pretty slammed :wink:

ace33joe
05-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Tires are on the car.. the rubber looks awesome.. Its looking pretty slammed :wink:

Congratulations!

Stock size 235/45 17 will be available in August 05 in Korea, but I am not sure when it will be available here. I want to try these also, unless Kumho introduces better tire for the similar price. :) (any news about MX2?)

bdking57
05-27-2005, 01:15 PM
i have great news.. these tires seem to make the car cruise a little better.. seems like it wasnt to stick right around 70 on the highway instead of 65 (better gas mileage too?) so i got a nice ticket for a 70 in a 55 this morning :twisted: anyone know how much these cost?

vtluu
05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Probably around $200 and a trip to traffic school.

FWIW, I've compared my speedometer readings against the GPS speed readings from my nav system, and with the larger-diameter 245/45-17 Falkens and 'Kooks, the speedometer actually reads spot-on. (Whereas with the stock tires, "70 mph" on the speedo really means 68 mph or so.)

The taller tires effectively decrease your gear ratio so you'll get slightly better mileage too (and slightly worse acceleration); won't make huge difference though.

bdking57
05-27-2005, 02:20 PM
I noticed in comparison to my all season tires that these are much quiter. I was using Hankook all seasons as well, so far i have no complaints I had a nice run over Laurelis Grade in carmel last night and i was pretty stuck to the road. I did some hard cornering and had no rubbing. There is almost 0 gap on the rear fenders.. flush and the front is 2 fingers.. im hoping those hotchks springs really cut down on body roll because i might be in trouble if not :roll:

Since my driver's liscense is out of state.. should i even bother doing the traffic school? Im wondering if this will be a waste or not. My insurance is in south carolina and my liscense is in NJ (the cop was totally cool with this by the way). I will be transfering my insurance in state real soon..so they wont recheck my driving record, and they will receive no notice of my ticket.