PDA

View Full Version : Camber?

vtluu
02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
I tend to corner fairly aggressively--at and outside autocross--and noticed a fair amount of shoulder wear on my tires. I'm told adding a bit more negative camber would help this and improve handling. Has anyone out there experimented with tweaking the camber on their Evo? To what degree is the factory setup adjustable? (And if not at all/very, what parts would you recommend for adjusting camber?)

nebolic
02-17-2004, 05:14 PM
from the few posts i read, the stock Evo 8 camber is supposed to be adjusted negatively already (from the factory).... thats from reading some stuff on EVOm i'm not sure tho. well my guess is that if you adjust the camber so that the wheel is negative, i.e the tire is slanted in, when you turn and put pressure on the wheel (tire) it straightens it out and you'll get more contact patch and even wear. so yeah i guess you'll perform better during cornerning but during normal driving the inside of the tire will eat out faster than the rest of the tire.

warpspeed
02-17-2004, 05:26 PM
That is correct. That is why some guys adjust their camber before they race(if you have those adjustable pillow ball mounts). Here is a rule of thumb. If you race at a track that has alot of turns, you will need negative camber, by how much...you will have to experiment. But on a track that has alot of straights, then alittle negative is what you will need.

halz
02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
There will definetly be at least a small range of camber adjustment for each wheel, which will be adjusted from an 'eccentric bolt' on the strut housing.

...and now I can't find the Evo 8 pdf FSM I downloaded, which would have the factory range of adjustment, and exact locations.. feh

If the range of adjustment isn't enough, some tricky autocrossers have been using factory 'crash bolts'; high grade bolts with a smaller diameter which can allow for a greater range of camber adjustment that would be used on a damaged car to get the alignment back into spec. This might be illegal for some class racing...

http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/22/463.html#000000

blitzkrgCT9A
02-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Cusco offer front and rear camber plates for EVO8s. These are direct replacement for stock upper mounts. AFAIK, Cusco front camber plates are adjustable. It allows you to dial in camber settings. However the rears are non-adjustable. If you are interested getting these, please shoot me a PM.

Cal
gruppe-s

robi
02-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I think my full race setup is -2 car gets a little bit "darty" but you know it will turn when and where you want it too.

EvolvedDSM
02-18-2004, 08:10 AM
http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/files/camber.jpg

BTW 19mm deep well socket comes in handy. Loosen the top bolt and rotate 180* and then loosen the bottom bolt enough to allow the top bolt to seat properly. Tighten both to 123 ft-lbs (watch those fenders) ;)

chrisw
02-19-2004, 10:44 PM
DO NOT FORGET TO RESET YOUR TOE AFTER DOING THIS MOD...

I did this trick when my EVO had less than 100 miles on it. As you add negative camber, you will increase the toe in on your car. This will trash your tires if you don't adjust it. I did, but aparently I didn't take out enough toe in, and well lets just say it's a good thing that I have some new rims & race tires on the way. :)