PDA

View Full Version : Reno Fernley-6/3/05

hagakure
06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Did Reno-Fernley this past Friday with the Lotus Club...good time, as always, those guys are a good group, and put on good, reasonably priced events. The track is definitely fast. Won't go into too many details, as Tam already provided a great report. Like Tam, my best times were in the 1:36 Range. I was only able to get in 5 sessions due to having to go get cash for gas (they cannot accept cards at the track yet) and a coolant overflow issue. I have learned that if you have a set of tires, hoosiers in my case, and two go bad, just replace the entire set. I made the mistake of putting two new tires on the front, and putting the still very worn but not completely shot tires on the rear. The result was a LOT of rear end sliding. Passenger side rear was badly corded by the end of the day. Another lesson learned. Two days would have been nice, as a few corners kept giving me problems.

The most interesting part of the day was the conversation I had with a Nasa official that will be supposedly campaigning an Evo with another NASA racer in this years 25 hours of Thunderhill. The guy stated that the car and driver guys "really messed it up last year", intimating that they did not know what they were doing. When we were discussing lap times, and he asked me how fast I'd gone so far, I told him 2:11 after 8 track days, and he said "that sucks", the Evo is capable of going 2:01 STOCK. When I told him that I know of no one that has gone 2:01 in a stock Evo that did not phase him at all, he said that "his partner" had. I agreed with this guy that the best use of my money at this time was serious instruction, which I will be receiving in the come months from TNL (the next level) racing school in Reno, but his blowhard attitude was atrocious. People like this do not help new drivers, or inspire them, it's disheartening and irritating. Thank God that most experienced, fast drivers I have met in the sport have been gracious, helpful, and encouraging. By the way, my man Evan was blazing in his 400 HP 2G Eclipse...running consistent 1:35's. There were a lot of fast Elises, and a completely badass S2000 guy that was running 1:29's all day...all in all a good time. I'll see some of you guys at T-hill on 7/27.

Peace all.

Percy

methods4
06-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Nice to hear you had a good time. I look forward to running that track later on in the year.

2:01 stock? Yeeeah ok. Unlimited class drivers in OTC are barely getting under 2:00. So I'm not sure where he's getting the 2:01 number for a STOCK Evo. http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/results/2004/class_03_thPage2.html

I've done quite a few events with Evan now and he keeps getting faster and faster!

earlyapex
06-05-2005, 12:38 PM
2:01 stock? at thill?

BWAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAA

Does stock mean a JATO unit strapped to the back?

http://www.darwinawards.com/i/jato.unit.jpg

yet another reason why NASA = teh sux

hagakure
06-05-2005, 12:44 PM
It was interesting....
The Lap time thing is a bit of a mystery, considering what people report. Even ET, the instrutor that I will be working with this fall said that she has run faste than 2:11 at T-hill in her spec miata, and I know that there are a few Spec Miatas that have. but when I go out tot he NASA time trial website and see her results with that car, the best times are in the 2:20 range.....It's hard to know who to work with concerning coaching, etc...part of me wants to front the money to pay a really known entity to do individualized coaching. I know that Andrie Hartanto does some personal, individualized driving instruction, and I may approach him....

Percy

methods4
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Even ET, the instrutor that I will be working with this fall.....
Percy

:shock:

http://www.physics.hku.hk/~tboyce/sf/films/41.jpg

What is ET saying in this pic? "Slow in, fast out. Beware of T8. Ouuuuch."

hagakure
06-05-2005, 02:48 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Percy

mtsevovii
06-05-2005, 03:07 PM
huh, i wondered why i saw 4-5 lotus' driving down 80 when i was driving up to reno, i went to a rifle range. heh

earlyapex
06-05-2005, 05:01 PM
What is ET saying in this pic? "Slow in, fast out. Beware of T8. Ouuuuch."

ROTFL

Evo442
06-05-2005, 06:09 PM
The most interesting part of the day was the conversation I had with a Nasa official that will be supposedly campaigning an Evo with another NASA racer in this years 25 hours of Thunderhill. The guy stated that the car and driver guys "really messed it up last year", intimating that they did not know what they were doing. When we were discussing lap times, and he asked me how fast I'd gone so far, I told him 2:11 after 8 track days, and he said "that sucks", the Evo is capable of going 2:01 STOCK.
Percy

What a jerk. Its guys like that that egg less experienced drivers on to drive beyond their limits and trash their cars. I think we've seen enough totalled evo'd this year.

vtluu
06-06-2005, 09:34 PM
2:01 in a stock Evo? I'll believe it when I see it.