PDA

View Full Version : Zeal V6 review custom setting 12kg/10kg

evoboy
06-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Just wanted to write a little review on my new susp for you guys.

If you have seen my other thread, I've replaced my HKS Hipermax II coilovers with Zeal v6 custom spring rate (12kg/10kg) on Monday. First thing that came across my mind when I was paying for these Zeals was "I am prob gonna shake all the nuts and bolts loose in my car and my GF will hate me forever!"

Hipermax II review:
The spring rate on the Hipermax II was 8kg/7kg and they were great on the street. I love these coilover but they were just too soft for me. Also, one down side is you can't adjust the ride height by moving the entire coilover but instead from the spring perch. If you want to lower the car until there's no gap, your will have to move the perch lower than the spring length meaning there wont be any preload. Another thing I noticed when I was corner hard with the Hipermax II is the car will tends to lose balance during a fast transition from left to right or vise versa. Overall, I believe HKS Hipermax II is a great coilover system for the street and little track time.

Zeal function V6 review:
I thought long and hard before making my decision on what coilvers and spring rate to go with. At last the main deciding factor was based on my previous experience with Zeals in my 96 integra.

I drove around for 30 miles after getting the new Zeals installed. My first impression right out of the parking lot after making a fast right turn was...."crap, this is really stiff.....there's not body roll at all unlike the Hipermax II." However, I was quit impressed by how the car hugs the road so much better than before. After driving thru some industrial area roads, I realized the ride wasn't as bumpy as I orginally thought 12/10kg would be. The valve design on the Zeals are simply amazing. I was told the valve design plays a large role on how stiff the susp is......not just spring rates. At first, I didn't think that entirely true, but you'd be surprise if you get a ride in my car. You can feel the stiffness of the coilovers but you can also feel the shocks absorbing the bumps. From my past experience with Teins HA and GAB coilovers are really stiff and it tends to bounce/hop over bumps therefore causing a lost of traction. Zeals will not do this...the complicated valving design will help plant your tires on the pavement and provide you with all the traction your tires can handle.

Other factors that guide me toward the Zeal was the great customer service and tech support in the US. I've learned not any company can be a Endless/Zeal dealer. In order to be one, your company will have to be carefully reviewed and selected by the Endless racing director. After that, he will make sure all their dealers will have the technical background to support their customers.

Another plus is if you ever need your Zeal to be rebuild or do any customer spec valving and spring rate...you can send your coilovers to Endless USA in LA and they will be able to rebuild your coilovers within a week for $125 per corner. On the other hand if my HKS was blown and I need to get it rebuild. In order to do so, I will have to send it to HKS USA and they will send it to HKS Japan for service. This process can take up to 2-3 months and cost alot more beacause of shipping fees.

Overall, I believe the Zeals are well worth the money. Theres no such thing as the best coilover since it really depends on what you are planning to do with your car (street or track or both). All I can tell you now is I can't be any happier with the Zeals and I would recommend Zeals to anyone based on my personal experience.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Promo/zeal1.jpg

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding my review.

Thanks,
Tom

JanSolo
06-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Another satisfied Function V6 owner. No surprise there.

MarkSAE
06-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Nice review! I noticed that about my Zeals as well. My car is much more stable while hard-cornering over bumpy roads.

coolguy949
06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Nice review, but I noticed your IP matches with Gruppe-S' IP. Bad vendor, bad vendor! :!:

earlyapex
06-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Nice review, but I noticed your IP matches with Gruppe-S' IP. Bad vendor, bad vendor! :!:

Ouch, his profile does say he is in Marketing though. :shock:

coolguy949
06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
It's a possibility he works there and switched his suspension on his own evo. We'll see what he says.

GST
06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Just to clarify on this guys, Evoboy is a Gruppe-S employee who switched from HKS coilovers to Zeals. If anybody would like a ride in a Zeal equiped car please feel free to contact me for a "joyride"

Mike
www.gruppe-s.com

GST
06-20-2005, 11:28 AM
It's a possibility he works there and switched his suspension on his own evo. We'll see what he says.

That is exactly what happened.

Sorry for the lack of hidden agenda guys, just a employee happy with his new suspension setup.

Mike

tkeirin
06-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Had the zeals installed recently........and wow........it performs really well. It feels stiff, yet very stable and firm and also has a softer ride than stock. My setting is 2 up front and 3 at the rear. Steering is quick, light, and responsive.

Gruppe-S
06-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the input...can I ask where you got your Zeals from?

Tom

tkeirin
06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the input...can I ask where you got your Zeals from?

Tom

from u guys.........and u helped me called rodney for alignment.

Gruppe-S
06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
LOL...I thought it was you. How did you like them btw? Make sure you mail in the warranty card!

Thanks,
Tom
Gruppes
510-783-5300

tkeirin
06-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Warranty already mailed....even made copies for myself...haha. The zeals r excellent, the car handles great.........and still has room for changes in the setting if needed. As mentioned earlier, steering is really quick and light.

kirkharper
07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Pete & crew @ WORKS dialed in my suspension with Zeal Function X's and the WORKS adjustable rear swaybar. All I can say is WOW! Spend the extra cash, be patient and do it right the first time... As someone who has tried many suspension systems on Porsches....The Works/Zeals are solid.
After 2 track days...my EVO feels perfect!!!

My '05 RS handles flat under high speed braking & turns( t-Hill Turn #1)
yet feels great on some of the potholed Streets of San Francisco.

The 30-way adjustable dampening is ideal for those of us with a street car who track our cars on a monthly basis.... it literally takes 5 minutes to adjust 4 corners....best of all, no tools necessary.

Here are my reasons I chose ZEALs Function X by WORKS.
-quality welds, coatings & seals...no JIC looking stuff here.

Kirk
'05 RS
-individually built per order...(can you say quality control)
-the dampener can handle a wide range of spring rates 5kg-14kg yet not feel over or under powered.
-30 way adjustable dampening.
-independent height adjustable.
-includes fully adjustable alloy camber plates....sweet!
-proven motorsport history
-controlled ride on the street that is a great improvement over stock and much prefferred to JICS, Teins.
-great support & testing with WORKS.

methods4
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Threadjack!!!!

earlyapex
07-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Let me guess, the IP number is coming from inside WORKS.

wilson1
07-01-2005, 10:00 PM

:lol:

JanSolo
07-03-2005, 02:44 PM

No, though I thought the same thing at first.

Jamie@WORKS
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Kirk's just one of many happy WORKS/ZEAL drivers :)

Gruppe-S
07-07-2005, 01:01 AM

LOL...I am just glad there's another satisfied Zeal user. As I said before, I firmly believe in Endless/Zeal products and would recommend it to anyone regardless if they get it from us or another shop.

Tom