PDA

View Full Version : Finally made it to Russell Racing!

Matz
06-14-2005, 07:57 PM
I just took the high performance driving course at Infineon Raceway in my Evo. Wow, what a class! I learned a ton in a pretty short period of time. For sure, I'm going to try to get out there for some track days. Infineon is a really fun course, and I recommend it to anyone that hasn't ever driven there before. Of course, I don't have anything to compare it to... :)

Amazingly enough, my camera setups worked well. Tam's camera mount was great, and you can download a portion of the video I took here:

http://www.initialdproject.com/Evo8/videos/Evo_RussellRacing_Infineon_640x480.avi

My webcam videos were pretty good, too, but the audio is out of sync right now, and I need to stitch the videos from the windshield and tach together into a side-by-side video. Once I finish that and edit out all of the dead video spots, I'll post it up on my website.

If I say anything stupid, like "I think my car has 330HP", don't make too much fun of me, okay? :lol:

earlyapex
06-14-2005, 10:22 PM
haha

"engineers are the worst to work with"

nice.

So was this your first track event?

Looks like you had some good fun and learned alot.

From the video, it looked like you had some bad tunnel vision when you where following the wrx but whatever you where just following.

I enjoyed watching you step up a large notch once you got the instructor in the car. He was right, you did rotate it well when he was in the car.

So that video was with Tam's mount eh? Not bad. What video camera?

Matz
06-14-2005, 10:34 PM
well, I thought I was following the best line, but maybe not. :) I did try to follow the WRX whenever the instructor was driving, though. It's just a shame that I didn't start to really get it until the 2nd to last lap!

I'm gonna try to swing another class over there before the end of the year. Playing GT4 now just doesn't cut it. As much as it helped me to memorize the track ahead of time, the feel of the car just isn't there.

Matz
06-14-2005, 10:37 PM
So was this your first track event?
So that video was with Tam's mount eh? Not bad. What video camera?

Oh yeah, that was my first time out on a track, so I was pretty nervous at the beginning. Didn't want to crash the car, you know? I had some big problems with my brakes in the morning session, but everything seemed to work itself out after a little hard braking. We'll see how long they last. It's a damn good thing that WORKS accidentally installed those SS brake lines in my car -- they probably made a huge difference yesterday.

Yeah, that was Tam's old mount before he got the one that bolts to his rollbar. It's amazingly simple, and works really, really well.

I'll take pics of my setup sometime this week that show the camera mount and webcams. I was filming with a Sony DCR-TRV33.

earlyapex
06-14-2005, 11:49 PM
So when is your next track event?

:twisted:

vtluu
06-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Wow, first track event at Infineon--you're a braver man than I! :worthy:

Glad to hear the camera mount worked. :)

mattbcool
06-15-2005, 02:13 AM
where do i sign up and how much does it cost?

Matz
06-15-2005, 04:32 AM
So when is your next track event?

:twisted:

Hoping to do NASA's event on 10/8 - 10/9, or the Russell Racing Performance Driving Tour on 10/12. If any of you guys are interested, let me know, and I'll be more serious about committing (and asking my wife if it's okay..hehe)

Matz
06-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Wow, first track event at Infineon--you're a braver man than I! :worthy:

Glad to hear the camera mount worked. :)

I was really scared because everyone told me that Infineon is super dangerous. I asked them about this, and they told me that they made a ton of changes to the track, like removing walls and moving hills to give drivers more room to run off of the track. It really wasn't too bad!

Matz
06-15-2005, 04:34 AM

Go to http://www.russellracing.com and sign up for the High Performance Driving course. It's $800, which is pretty hefty, but worth every penny.

crctslt
06-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Go to http://www.russellracing.com and sign up for the High Performance Driving course. It's $800, which is pretty hefty, but worth every penny.

HOLY SHIAT! :shock: Thats 5 days with GG Lotus. Do you get track hunneys to massage you between sessions? :P

Matz
06-16-2005, 11:10 PM

HOLY SHIAT! :shock: Thats 5 days with GG Lotus. Do you get track hunneys to massage you between sessions? :P

my course was only 1 day...

dohcvtec
06-17-2005, 11:20 AM

Its the instruction you're really paying for with russell.

EvoKach
06-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm a graduate as well and it is worth it. GGLC and other days you aren't taught anything. This school is a great entry into being taught how to drive a car at high speeds on a race track.

Matz
06-27-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm a graduate as well and it is worth it. GGLC and other days you aren't taught anything. This school is a great entry into being taught how to drive a car at high speeds on a race track.

"high speed" is right! Before the class, I hadn't even taken my Evo over 70mph... so going 100+ was pretty insane.

ZENTRAEDIevo
07-28-2005, 05:06 PM
if anyone is looking for private instruction at any track day let me know..

im an instructor for the Skip Barber Racing School at Laguna Seca.. and have lots of time driving formula cars..

you can email me at [email protected]

Check out my website for credentials.. www.montinola.com