PDA

View Full Version : Breakin period? Synthetlic Oil or Conventional?

CollinsT
02-19-2004, 01:12 AM
I read this clip on another evo site is this true?
--------->
From tearing down serveral evos and doing the rod bolt replacement on serveal other evos - we have seen that stock evo engines using the syn oil do not ever break in - meaning wear in the bearings properly during the break in period.
Therefore - we recomend the use of regular non syn oil during the first 2500 miles and frequent changes

I use regular non syn oil exclusively in my 575 whp evo engine - it has 4500 miles of very hard use and shows no wear - I do change the oil every 500 miles though

that is what I read from another site. The book says ONLY SYNTHETIC oil but could that passage above be true?

vtluu
02-19-2004, 02:44 AM
I'm inclined to believe the people who designed and built the car and engine and put thousands of engineering hours into both, rather than "someone on some website". The way I think about is this: if I use synthetic and the engine doesn't break in properly and something goes wrong with it, the warranty will take care of it. Even if they have to put in a whole new engine to fix it. Use non-synthetic, on the other hand, and you'll probably void your warranty, so if your engine dies later on, tough luck. So even if there's a remote chance that the guy is right, do you feel like gambling your warranty on it?

RonV
02-19-2004, 08:40 AM
--------->
From tearing down serveral evos and doing the rod bolt replacement on serveal other evos - we have seen that stock evo engines using the syn oil do not ever break in - meaning wear in the bearings properly during the break in period.
Therefore - we recomend the use of regular non syn oil during the first 2500 miles and frequent changes

I use regular non syn oil exclusively in my 575 whp evo engine - it has 4500 miles of very hard use and shows no wear - I do change the oil every 500 miles though

that is what I read from another site. The book says ONLY SYNTHETIC oil but could that passage above be true?This is BS.

howiEVO8
02-19-2004, 12:28 PM
--------->

that is what I read from another site. The book says ONLY SYNTHETIC oil but could that passage above be true?This is BS.

lolz

Black_EVO
04-02-2004, 01:10 AM
It is tru, if you use a non syn oil you will void your warranty. The warranty says you have to use Mobil1 full syn oil. I don't know how they would prove what brand of oil it is, but better safe that sorry.

EvolvedDSM
04-02-2004, 01:18 AM
It doesn't have to be Mobil1, but it does require synthetic for warranty purposes.

RonV
04-02-2004, 08:33 AM
It is tru, if you use a non syn oil you will void your warranty. The warranty says you have to use Mobil1 full syn oil. I don't know how they would prove what brand of oil it is, but better safe that sorry. They would inspect the turbo bearings. If you have used dyno oil, it will be a different color than normal.