PDA

View Full Version : 10.5 hotside and o2 sensor housing....

guntings
06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Anyone try to install these themselves??? I've heard it's a PITA but it can still be done using simple hand tools like wrenches and shit like that. To the people who've actually done the 10.5/ o2 housing install, how realistic is this or will I have to use other equipment like a torch to loosen the bolts???

methods4
06-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Search button is your friend.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4109

MarkSAE
06-22-2005, 10:35 PM
I'll be installing my 10.5 hotside within the next few days. I already received my hotside from FP. I'm just waiting for the gaskets and fasteners to arrive. The install shouldn't be too hard. I've only taken the turbos off my DSMs like eleventy gazillion times.

The main tools needed will be a breaker bar using 6-point sockets and a lot of liquid wrench.

Jamie@WORKS
06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I'll be installing my 10.5 hotside within the next few days. I already received my hotside from FP. I'm just waiting for the gaskets and fasteners to arrive. The install shouldn't be too hard. I've only taken the turbos off my DSMs like eleventy gazillion times.

The main tools needed will be a breaker bar using 6-point sockets and a lot of liquid wrench.

Probably the biggest difference between the DSM and EVO install is the lack of room between the turbo and the radiator. Unless you feel like damaging some fins and slicing your hands, go ahead and pull the radiator out. It actually saves time in the end :)

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Probably the biggest difference between the DSM and EVO install is the lack of room between the turbo and the radiator. Unless you feel like damaging some fins and slicing your hands, go ahead and pull the radiator out. It actually saves time in the end :)

Cool, thanks for the tip Jamie. :) I'm gonna drop by your shop to get my ECU reflashed for this mod next week some time.

bdking57
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I wouldnt attempt it..i was watching someone install the one on my car and they ended up having to pull the shroud parts off.. ended up with all kinds of cut and the upper heat shield cam off and slammed the guy in the face lol.. its not worth the physical toll.. and honestly unless your doing some kind of turbo/hotside upgrade there is not point in doing the install.. the gains arent worthy of a 300 install.

MarkSAE
07-20-2005, 10:22 AM
My install would have gone pretty straight forward if I was able to get my o2 sensor off the o2 housing. Since I couldn't, I ended up having to pull the whole turbo.

As far as the gains go, I'm going to say that I felt little to no gains at all with the same AF's and timing values I was running previously. Whatever I'm feeling is probably just placebo. haha..

However, I read that the 10.5 hotside allows you to run more timing safely. So if this is the case, this is probably where the extra power potential of the hotside comes from.