PDA

View Full Version : Sac raceway tonight

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I decided to go to Sac Raceway tonight. It was pretty damn hot there. 88F according to the weather forecast, but felt a bit hotter at the track. Anyway, I only got 3 runs. I just can't seem to figure out how to launch right or am too chicken shit to drive my evo hard.

1) 13.818 @ 100.998, 60' light not working
2) 13.775 @ 102.473, 60' light not working
3) 13.833 @ 101.296, 2.125 60', bounced off rev limiter in 2nd gear

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. My driving really needs some work. I'm guessing that my 60' times for my first two runs were around the 2.0x range based off my 330' time. I was actually surpised that my EVO still trapped over 102 mph despite the hot weather. My 3rd run would have been better had I not fell asleep in 2nd gear and bounced off the rev limiter for a second.

Here are my mods:
HKS downpipe, Hi-Power cat-back, DIY ground kit, JDM MR BOV, WORKS P2 ECU flash, WORKS High-Flow cat, Helix IC pipes, WORKS drop-in filter

I'll be installing my 10.5 hotside within the next few days and heading back to the track when the weather cools off a bit.

LEVIII
06-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Dang, I wish I would have known you were going out there. I woulda went just to hang out

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 12:35 AM
I didn't post anything before hand because I didn't want to obligate myself to posting results if they were to shameful to post. haha..

There were two other EVOs out there tonight. I wonder if they're on here. I spoke to both of the owners briefly.

06-23-2005, 09:28 AM
mark y dun u try to run it at sears point
u prob do better there with your mods man, it shall be about 13.5 or less
wat u launch at?

methods4
06-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Mark you fooker. I was right down the street. You shoulda called me.

I dun remember. What was your previous best? I thought it was 13.6 or 13.5 @ 101 or 102?

I'm disappointed in you! You've been launching AWD cars since I first met you back in like 97. Something is not right here! Is the car bogging? Slipping the clutch too much? Even if you were bone stock and were missing a cylinder, you should be able to cut at least low 1.9s.

methods4
06-23-2005, 09:31 AM
wat u launch at?

Are you saying that Sears Point is a faster track?

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Mark you fooker. I was right down the street. You shoulda called me.

I dun remember. What was your previous best? I thought it was 13.6 or 13.5 @ 101 or 102?

I'm disappointed in you! You've been launching AWD cars since I first met you back in like 97. Something is not right here! Is the car bogging? Slipping the clutch too much? Even if you were bone stock and were missing a cylinder, you should be able to cut at least low 1.9s.

Alright, I'll call you the next time I'm up there. Perhaps again next week. The high catching point of the EVO clutch is really throwing me off. My DSMs clutches always caught pretty close off the floor. Also, the stock EVO clutch is not very grabby, so I can't really be too aggressive with it. I'm used to having an ACT 2600!

I can't really feel my front wheels spinning any more with the addition of the front LSD. It feels like I'm spinning my clutch when launching.

My previous best was a 13.6@101 w/ a 1.90 60'.

06-23-2005, 10:32 AM
i think so but maybe other exp different. i see evo runs fast up there with thsoe mods or higher.

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 10:33 AM
wat u launch at?

Sears point wasn't open yesterday or next week. I'm launching around 5300 rpm. I just need to find some backroads to practice before my next time out. My lack of practice really shows at the track and it feels pretty embarassing.

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
i think so but maybe other exp different. i see evo runs fast up there with thsoe mods or higher.

From my experience, Sears Point usually gets a bit cooler when the sun goes down, which is good for turbo cars.

I never liked the uphill starting line though. I always had to use my e-brake to prevent my car from rolling back in the left lane.

methods4
06-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I never liked the uphill starting line though. I always had to use my e-brake to prevent my car from rolling back in the left lane.

For this reason I will never drag race at Sears Point again. 3 runs in a span of like 5 or 6 hours isn't fun. When I was there in my 2G FWD they were standing behind cars with a mop stuck behind the rear tires so cars wouldn't roll backwards. Plus I remember the race gas pump there had a nozzle that was too big to directly fit in my gas tank.

Disclaimer: I haven't been there since the remodel.

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 11:00 AM
For this reason I will never drag race at Sears Point again. 3 runs in a span of like 5 or 6 hours isn't fun. When I was there in my 2G FWD they were standing behind cars with a mop stuck behind the rear tires so cars wouldn't roll backwards. Plus I remember the race gas pump there had a nozzle that was too big to directly fit in my gas tank.

Disclaimer: I haven't been there since the remodel.

I went there after the remodel and it's still the same shit. I thought they would have fixed it, but they didn't. Still rolls back.

EvoRicer
06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey MarkSAE I was out there too...the TB Evo with the Low Pro Spoiler and JDM MR Tail Lights (Asian Guy With Glasses). I didn't do very good either haha.

1st Run:14.222 60' 2.216 Spd: 99.170 Drop Clutch at 5.5k, Bogged Out

2nd Run: 13.789 60' BLANK Spd: 100.566 Drop Clutch at Rev Limiter 7800, Too Much Tire Spin

3rd Run: 13.822 60' BLANK Spd: 100.746 Drop Clutch at Red Line, Wasn't paying attention heh...

4th Run: 14.210 60' BLANK Spd: 99.107 Slipped Clutch at 5k, Did it Wrong and Car Bogged Out haha.

Mod List: Injen Intake and Upper Intercooler Pipe, HKS SSQ, Works P2 Flash, Walbro Fuel Pump (Not in the Flash)

The White Evo told me he was only hitting 14.2's and on his window he dialed in 14.1. I think he said he was dropping the clutch too, I cant remember...I did the same thing, Dial in 14.1 on the Window Becuz I didnt have a Helmet...

methods4
06-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey MarkSAE I was out there too...the TB Evo with the Low Pro Spoiler and JDM MR Tail Lights (Asian Guy With Glasses). I didn't do very good either haha.

2nd Run: 13.789 60' BLANK Spd: 100.566 Drop Clutch at Rev Limiter 7800, Too Much Tire Spin

3rd Run: 13.822 60' BLANK Spd: 100.746 Drop Clutch at Red Line, Wasn't paying attention heh...

4th Run: 14.210 60' BLANK Spd: 99.107 Slipped Clutch at 5k, Did it Wrong and Car Bogged Out haha.

Mod List: Injen Intake and Upper Intercooler Pipe, HKS SSQ, Works P2 Flash, Walbro Fuel Pump (Not in the Flash)

The White Evo told me he was only hitting 14.2's and on his window he dialed in 14.1. I think he said he was dropping the clutch too, I cant remember...I did the same thing, Dial in 14.1 on the Window Becuz I didnt have a Helmet...

Dropping the clutch at 7800??? No wonder our stock clutch gets a really bad name. Keep it up and you're going to destroy your driveline. This of course is my personal opinion.

earlyapex
06-23-2005, 11:46 AM

You launched the car at REDLINE?!?!

http://www.safetyfirstdriving.com/services/16yr-b.jpg

and you wonder why you had tire spin? You are lucky the tires spun and not your tranny spinning off the track.

EvoRicer
06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Any lower than red line and my car boggs out...so launching at redline is the only thing i can do...if i slip the clutch i get clutch burn...thats how I lost my first clutch at 20k miles...by slipping it too much. I been dropping the clutch at redline for a while now...Since Sep of 2003...And Plus I dont race EVERYDAY...so I dont think its that big of a deal...once or twice every month or every other month?

methods4
06-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Any lower than red line and my car boggs out...so launching at redline is the only thing i can do...if i slip the clutch i get clutch burn...thats how I lost my first clutch at 20k miles...by slipping it too much. I been dropping the clutch at redline for a while now...Since Sep of 2003...And Plus I dont race EVERYDAY...so I dont think its that big of a deal...once or twice every month or every other month?

Your 60fts show your success at this.

earlyapex
06-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Any lower than red line and my car boggs out...so launching at redline is the only thing i can do...if i slip the clutch i get clutch burn...thats how I lost my first clutch at 20k miles...by slipping it too much. I been dropping the clutch at redline for a while now...Since Sep of 2003...

uhm no. it bogs because you haven't got the combo right, not because your revs aren't high enough. You are probably slipping it too late or not fast enough with lower revs.

Nobody that knows how to launch correctly launches at redline.

The only reason your tranny and TC haven't blow to eleventy billion bits is because you are spinning your tires.

If you think that redline launch is working for you, look at your 1/4 mile times again...

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Nice meeting you yesterday EvoRicer. Do you have an exhaust on your car?

I've never launched my car w/ the clutch restrictor, so I'm not sure about the technique. But the 7800 redline clutch drops can't be good for your driveline.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get off the line quickly w/o burning my clutch up too fast. It's not easy! I want to get a 1.80 or better 60'. Anything under 1.85 is considered good.

Jamie@WORKS
06-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Nice meeting you yesterday EvoRicer. Do you have an exhaust on your car?

I've never launched my car w/ the clutch restrictor, so I'm not sure about the technique. But the 7800 redline clutch drops can't be good for your driveline.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get off the line quickly w/o burning my clutch up too fast. It's not easy! I want to get a 1.80 or better 60'. Anything under 1.85 is considered good.

I managed a 1.83 60'... once and only once. The stock clutch just doesn't suit my driving style, but I must give it some credit for taking 80+ launches anywhere between 5K and 6K (I find about 5500 works best on the track and a little less on standard asphalt). I've settled for a consistent 1.90 60' and will just aim for that until I upgrade and can blindly launch at 6K again :)

EvoRicer
06-23-2005, 01:14 PM
No I do Not have an Exhaust on my car...my car is Basically stock. Yea I have read up on forums that Evos are breaking their Tranny and TC. The 7800 clutch drop was only becuz the light was already going and I wasnt ready and my foot went all the way down on the gas...so that was the first time. But I do Launch at redline sometimes though. But Thanks for your comments MarkSAE. It was a pleasure to meet you. This was the last time I was going to be dropping the clutch anywayz. I just dont like how everyone else came at me...but I guess that's how it is on the forums...some people just like to steam all over you becuz you raced your car wrong. :D It was great to hear all your comments guys I hope we can be Great Friends in the Near Future. :wink:

earlyapex
06-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Dun be grumpy bear!

http://www.care-bears.com/CareBears/html/about/img/f_grumpy.gif

methods4
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
The 7800 clutch drop was only becuz the light was already going and I wasnt ready and my foot went all the way down on the gas...so that was the first time.

I been dropping the clutch at redline for a while now...Since Sep of 2003...And Plus I dont race EVERYDAY...so I dont think its that big of a deal...

Make up your mind!

This was the last time I was going to be dropping the clutch anywayz. I just dont like how everyone else came at me...but I guess that's how it is on the forums...some people just like to steam all over you becuz you raced your car wrong. :D It was great to hear all your comments guys I hope we can be Great Friends in the Near Future. :wink:

Yes, I hope we can all be Great Friends too. Great Friends try and save their buddie's drivelines. That's why we come at you like that. :wink:

MarkSAE
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
No I do Not have an Exhaust on my car...my car is Basically stock. Yea I have read up on forums that Evos are breaking their Tranny and TC. The 7800 clutch drop was only becuz the light was already going and I wasnt ready and my foot went all the way down on the gas...so that was the first time. But I do Launch at redline sometimes though. But Thanks for your comments MarkSAE. It was a pleasure to meet you. This was the last time I was going to be dropping the clutch anywayz. I just dont like how everyone else came at me...but I guess that's how it is on the forums...some people just like to steam all over you becuz you raced your car wrong. :D It was great to hear all your comments guys I hope we can be Great Friends in the Near Future. :wink:

Wow, no exhaust on your car and you still hit almost 101 mph traps! That's pretty good if you ask me.

The lack of grabiness of the stock clutch does make it feel like 1.8x 60' times are unobtainable. I'll try a few more times. Practice makes perfect!

I agree. Some people here need to lay off the haterade! ;)

methods4
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow, no exhaust on your car and you still hit almost 101 mph traps! That's pretty good if you ask me.

The lack of grabiness of the stock clutch does make it feel like 1.8x 60' times are unobtainable. I'll try a few more times. Practice makes perfect!

I agree. Some people here need to lay off the haterade! ;)

I hit 1.8s regularly on my stock clutch. I know you can do it Mark!

I don't drink haterade anymore. I eat Now N Haters.

EvoRicer
06-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Yea I suck so I need to go Practice A Lot More too. Thanks Guyz.