PDA

View Full Version : Future Motorsports plans...musings, etc.

hagakure
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey guys,

A little bored today, in between clients, doing some musing about my long-term motorsports plans for the Evo. I've decided that I want to do another full season of open track/time trialing with NCRC in 06, and then in 07 completely race spec the car, so I can start racing with the ARC (NCRC's racing extension). To this end I want to do their certification school in 06, as well as some other professional racing school, have not narrowed it down to who.

What the car will be composed of by 07:

Full cage of course, fuel cell, fire system, DMS coilovers, 275-40-17 tires on 9 inch rims (this will actually be done this winter), APR widebody kit to accommodate all of this. White rabbit turbo and upgraded engine internals, quiafe LS, car completely stripped for maximum weight reduction, racing radiator, external oil cooler. will also pick up an older (2000 or so) F-250 and used trailer to pull the car.

Good two year plan.

Anybody else have a "Plan"?
there need to be more Evos going wheel to wheel!

Peace guys.

Percy

dohcvtec
06-29-2005, 09:26 AM
If I had the money to wheel to wheel my Evo I would. The thing is just too expensive for me. I'm sticking to my plans of entering Honda Challenge. Come do USTCC with NASA so at least we can still hang out! LOL. I say if you can afford it, do it!

hagakure
06-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Well....

It's a lot of $$, no doubt, but I'm hooked, and I'm finally getting my wife a little bit over to my side on this! USTCC would be cool, but too many rules. I think I would eventually like to do SCCA ITE (pretty much unlimited on mods, etc) after a few seasons doing the ARC races. ARC is a great place to start, because the fields are not huge, and they are RELIGIOUSLY no contact, but they race hard. So, baby steps. Of course the first goal is to actually get fast with what I have! Will be interesting to see how the Robispec suspension performs at t-hill next month. Anyway, good times!!

Percy

methods4
06-29-2005, 10:08 AM
If you're getting a widebody kit, you gotta go wider than a 9" rim and 275 tire! You've got to have some serious $$$ to be competitive in any of those classes. Good luck with your endeavors Percy. We'll be interested to hear about your progress.

As far as my "plans". I have limited funds so won't be getting into any dedicated race program any time soon. Just thinking about the tires and brakes I go through for just casual opentracking makes my stomach hurt. But if I start making more than minimum wage, I may think about starting out in a cheaper class like Spec Miata or Honda Challenge or something just to get my feet wet in wheel to wheel racing.

hagakure
06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
You are right about the tires and wheels:)

Well, it's just a plan, and anything can happen. I might take three years instead of two, with life changes, etc....but for me, I need a goal on my radar. Not relly thinking about being competitive, just doing it with ARC will be a good start. But, we'll see!

Percy

dohcvtec
06-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm not too familiar with ARC. Is more of like time trial competition?

I think with any wheel to wheel racing you must be prepared for contact. Its all part of racing. :)

hagakure
06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm not too familiar with ARC. Is more of like time trial competition?

I think with any wheel to wheel racing you must be prepared for contact. Its all part of racing. :)

It's not time trialing, it is wheel to wheel racing. It is the racing extension of NCRC. I know you have to be prepared for the possibility of contact, no doubt, but the aggressive promotion of very very clean racing is attractive to me. I've seen some ugly stuff at NASA races that did not have to happen. Crazy dive bombing, aggressive and consistent blocking that should have been black flagged, etc. I raced bicycles for 10 years, and it was refreshing to get into a level of racing that was very fast, aggressive and smooth. Some of the category 4 and 5 races were like demolition derbies on bikes. I will be prepared for the possibility of contact, but starting with an organization that has little to no tolerance for on-track goofiness will suit me best. I think I would choose SCCA over NASA from what I've seent hus far...just my opinion.

Percy

SouthernCrane
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
If I had the money to wheel to wheel my Evo I would. The thing is just too expensive for me.

me too, but i have to start first......my plan = first track event this summer or fall at T-Hill :D

Keep us updated on your progress Percy 8)

vtluu
06-29-2005, 01:37 PM
:rally:

hagakure
06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
If I had the money to wheel to wheel my Evo I would. The thing is just too expensive for me.

me too, but i have to start first......my plan = first track event this summer or fall at T-Hill :D

Keep us updated on your progress Percy 8)

Bryan,

you should come out to t-hill with us the 27th....it will be a ball!

Percy

smack
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
If you're getting a widebody kit, you gotta go wider than a 9" rim and 275 tire! .
i was thinking this same thing. percy, you could save quite a bit of $ by not going with a
widebody kit. i run 275/35/18 ra-1's with no rubbing on 9.5" 5zigen wheels. no spacers, just
roll the rear fender. the one thing you might have to look into is the dms'. i have to run 8"
springs on the ohlin's to get the perches up high enough to clear the tire(front). otherwise
spacers are needed which then causes possible front fender interference. the dms run a
proprietary progressive spring that i believe is longer than 8". could pose a problem. also not
everyone likes the feel of progressive on the track so you might want to find someone that
you could try a car. they are a very nice setup so it has nothing to do with quality just a
personal preference of how they transition. you might want to talk to them or perhaps robi
to see if they also have a linear srping available as well. not sure though since they most
likely have valving set to this specific type of spring.

btw, i would be interested in this same line of progression with arc and possible checkered
flag racing.

that's longwinded enough :)
good luck with it all and please keep us updated

hagakure
06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Sean,

the more feedback I get about the widebody kit, the less it looks like it is needed. thanks for the input regarding the tires.

I think an Evo can be campaigned relatively economically if done correctly, the point being relatively. Another goal I have within the next three years is to do the 25 hours of thunderhill and finish the thing...maybe with 2 or three other pilots from norcalevo?:)

I'm hooked, and I just want to dot he most I can with the car within reason.

Percy

smack
06-29-2005, 06:26 PM
i would love to run the 25hr. i wouldn't be competitive (still trying to get down to 2:05's)
but i keep it out of the wall :lol:

it would be fun to put together a norcalevo team. hell i would even just help you pit.

dohcvtec
06-29-2005, 06:59 PM
i would love to run the 25hr. i wouldn't be competitive (still trying to get down to 2:05's)
but i keep it out of the wall :lol:

it would be fun to put together a norcalevo team. hell i would even just help you pit.
All you really need to do is make it to the end of the race. That in its own is a feat! :) If I have my racing license by then, can I be a driver? :P

hagakure
06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I'd love to have both of you guys drive. I'm serious about this, I definitely would like to do it in 07 or 08, and I will have comtetition license by then. 2:05's is fast Sean...no worries there. My goal is to hit 2:09 by the end of this season, I'll be happy with that. the only way to make something like this happen is to plan for it. I even have some good ideas for sponsorship that are not automotive related. I think we could make this happen without me spending a great deal of my own $$$$....so, another good goal to shoot for!

Percy

crctslt
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Not to sound like a commercial here...

If you are interested there is a shop in Pinole that might be worth taking a look at with the plans you have posted.

Metric Motorsports
517-c San Pablo Ave.
Pinole, Ca. 94564
Owner: Vicman Ng

I post this because the owner was part of the team that won the first 25 hrs. of TH a few years back. Seems to know his stuff. I have just started going there myself so my experience is limited, but overall I trust his opinion.

smack
06-30-2005, 10:54 AM
hey percy,
the 25hr. is an scca sponsered event right? so does that mean they only accept an scca
license? or will a nasa license also work? i''m assuming that the ncrc/arc one probably
wouldn't be adequate.

dohcvtec
06-30-2005, 12:02 PM
The 25 hour is a NASA thing.

06-30-2005, 12:19 PM
metric sport closed down. yup they did win the 25hr race wth a civic hatchback. but they over charge my clutch job for my 300zx- 2g man wtf is that?

hagakure
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
it's a nasa event,
but i do believe they will acept scca licensure, which i want to pursue as well.

Percy

dohcvtec
06-30-2005, 12:34 PM
it's a nasa event,
but i do believe they will acept scca licensure, which i want to pursue as well.

Percy
That is correct.

methods4
06-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Sean,

Don't forget to mention you're also running like eleventy billion degrees of negative camber up front :)

Percy,

Maybe you should look into OTC to get your feet wet. It doesn't require any competition license so you could probably do it even next year if you were inclined.

hagakure
06-30-2005, 01:17 PM
If they have it next year...they cancelled it this year. I am planning on it next year, doing it with a buddy of mine, David Slack, from so-cal. He is a crazy fast driver (race-prepared E-36 M3) I plann to do all the NCRC time trials, as well as reluctently, NASA HPDE4 time trials next year, so Iam planning on a progression, not just going from normal open tracking to BOOM-racing. I just have to be very methodical and have short, medium, and long-range plans for about everything I do....:)

Thabnks for the great feedback guys! Good conversation.

Percy

dohcvtec
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Man, people hate on NASA so much. :P

smack
06-30-2005, 03:23 PM

this comes from people that use to run with them quite a while back. i know that's
all i hear from the old timers(no not you earlyapex :lol: ) about nasa. but these guys
haven't run with them for years, i hear from people that run with them now that they cleaned
up their act. i don;t think it's quite the ego fest it once was.

i would love to get more feedback from guys on this forum that run with them now.

dohcvtec
06-30-2005, 04:45 PM

this comes from people that use to run with them quite a while back. i know that's
all i hear from the old timers(no not you earlyapex :lol: ) about nasa. but these guys
haven't run with them for years, i hear from people that run with them now that they cleaned
up their act. i don;t think it's quite the ego fest it once was.

i would love to get more feedback from guys on this forum that run with them now.
I run with NASA almost religously. Seems the more egotistical ones like to show up to infineon, they don't like driving all the way out to Thunderhill. It has gotten better even in this season.

crctslt
07-06-2005, 12:28 AM
metric sport closed down. yup they did win the 25hr race wth a civic hatchback. but they over charge my clutch job for my 300zx- 2g man wtf is that?

They moved from their old shop to the address I listed. All info is current and correct.