PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Evo 8 Service Engine Soon light?

mygsx
06-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I just picked up my 03 evo 8 today and noticed the SES was on but would not go away after buying some gas.I made sure the gas cap "clicked" after refueling. I just bought the evo used with only 25k miles on it with a borla CB exhaust on it.Any ideas as to how to reset the light or what should i do? nothing is wrong with the car it runs fine but the light just wont go away. Any ideas??? Thanks
Newby memberO
OK guys the codes i gto from a list are
1. either a DTC PO443 OR 453 FROM DEALER
2.DTC PO172 from WORKS

egui42
07-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Get the code checked for free at your nearest auto parts store, like Kragen. Then look up the code, if something serious get ti checked at the dealership. If not serious, disconnnect the battery for 30 sec. then connect it. Make sure it doesn't come back on, maybe bad gas.

evo_dadi
07-01-2005, 06:24 AM
yep get the code pulled first so you know what caused it rather than resetting it right away w/o knowing what threw the code.

LEVIII
07-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Maybe the dealer put 87 in it? :shock:

mygsx
07-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I went to Stevens Creek Mitsu and he ended up saying something related to a fuel evap code. He reset it but then the code came back when i was driving back.So then on I went to WORKS and they pulled up a code for running to rich. But for only a $20 fee to code check they also found that stocker BOV was on a$$backwards some how. So they reset the ECU put the BOV in the Right way and Voila! The car is running great! The SES light no longer came on and hopefully it stays that way!Props to WORKS in SF for their service as well as their knowledge to the questions I asked em. Hey maybe next time they can do a group sale on Drop oin filters or somethin j/k!Next up planned on the list is a aftermarket Intake system of some sort with a Works P2 flash at the same time. Any suggestions guys as to which Intake system I should go for? :lol:

Matz
07-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Any suggestions guys as to which Intake system I should go for? [/b][/color] :lol:

I can't say that I'd recommend this intake, but I still have my HKS Super Mega Flow system that I had in my car for 3 days. Supposedly, it makes power in some car, and loses power in others. If you make me an offer, I'll probably take it. :)

Unowned
07-01-2005, 10:36 PM
If you're near Fremont i have a datalogger on my laptop that we can use to get the code then clear it.

Edit: Wow $20 code check fee... next time i'll do it for $15 :)

earlyapex
07-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Edit: Wow $20 code check fee...

WORK$

mygsx
07-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Unonwned if the light comes up again ill hook you with you thanks. 8)

mygsx
07-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Well the stupid SES light came on again after about 5 min of driving home this morning. Here are the things i noticed while driving home with the ses light on:
1.the car was kind of hesitant when punching the gas no misfire but like a little bit loss of power.
2.The car drinks the gas a little bit more then usual kinda sorta
3. if i ever came to a sudden stop the car would idle down the lowest so far at 600 rpms for sabout say anywhere from 5-20seconds until i started again.
4. @ about 4500 on up is when it feel slike the car lossed a lil bit of power the hesistant feeling i was referring to kind of like when a car is running to overly rich in a way
Guys im thinking the MAF sensor & its connections might need checking, as ell as checking all the vacuum lines, inspecting the plugs & wires as well. The thing is Im the second owner . I only just recently bought this car from Stevens Creek Mitsu on Friday and already this light came on at about 25k mi. So whoever had this car from a visual inspection it looks like the original owner did a few mods in the past by looking at some vacuum lines(some replacement vaccuum lines not looking original) and a bolt missing on a valve cover was found. Any help /info would be great. I like this car but right no it just doesnt feel like its running right cuz of the fuel/ses problems. Thanks! :shock:
Looks like its time to go to the dealer and make use of that warranty sigh

Matz
07-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Open the stock airbox and pull the OEM filter out, and take a look at the honeycomb before the sensor... hope it's not jacked up like mine was... but I was lucky and the damage didn't cause any problems, yet. The previous owner of my car lied to my face about mods, but he definitely changed the intake and f'd up the honeycomb...

Unowned
07-02-2005, 08:09 AM
So my eclipse is having hiccups like that too... using the datalogger i found out it was going into Open Loop Fuel mode (limp) only under load after shifting into neutral. It'll then switch back to Closed Loop mode and be fine till i do the same procedure driving... sounds like your car might be doing the same... we can check for that

And i was kidding about the fee, it's nice to have a mobile datalogger though

Matz
07-02-2005, 08:13 AM
So my eclipse is having hiccups like that too... using the datalogger i found out it was going into Open Loop Fuel mode (limp) only under load after shifting into neutral. It'll then switch back to Closed Loop mode and be fine till i do the same procedure driving... sounds like your car might be doing the same... we can check for that

Which one do you have? I'm thinking about the one from pocketlogger.com.

Unowned
07-02-2005, 08:15 AM

Which one do you have? I'm thinking about the one from pocketlogger.com.

Mine is just a cable i plug into the serial port of a laptop. i have some windows software that then uses the cable. Was about $80.

Matz
07-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Mine is just a cable i plug into the serial port of a laptop. i have some windows software that then uses the cable. Was about $80.

Sweet! Can you tell me where you got it? How many samples/sec can it capture? Do you have any other specs? Whoops, wrong forum for this kind of stuff.

earlyapex
07-02-2005, 10:20 AM
My pocketlogger samples 18-19/sec

mygsx
07-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Unowned ya think yac can pull the codes up from mah car?i'll PM you thanks!

mygsx
07-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Well i checked the honeycomb in the MAS sensor it looked ok in the sunlight it did wipe a little bit of dirt of that plastic brown looking piece behinf the honeycomb though- i doubt that would set off a code. Checked the vacuum connections and ic piping connections they all looked ok. Any ideas guys?Or maybe I really have to have the dealer dop their thing on the code repairs. BTW the code originally the dealer got as some code about Fuel Evap, and the second time for a code check was for the engine running to rich. By the ay guys i only gas capped it one click too so Im, going to reclick that sucker about 6 times to be safe. This driving around with the stupid SES light is getting annoying. Any ideas? :?

earlyapex
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Where do you live.

mygsx
07-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Here in Alameda its next to Oakland ill pm ya!

earlyapex
07-02-2005, 04:43 PM
I live in alameda too.

I can take a look at the car and clear/read codes if you want.

Unowned
07-02-2005, 05:23 PM
yea if anyone wants codes read, let me know

Maybe try checking/cleaning your O2 sensors because they could show bad readings?

mygsx
07-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Well the code is gone I tightened up the gas cap o about 12 clicks tightened, reset the code drove it kinda hard to try to get any SES lights to come on and so far so good no LIght*Keeping finger crossed*
Hey Bryon05 if it lights up again, youre in Alameda too then i need definitely need a scan again . But after driving out to SF again its been no light. However the car does still kinda idle low to about 500-600 rpm sometimes then i just rev it up a little and the car stops doing it.These first batch of 03 evo's have bugs here n there to be fixed???Thanks again for the info guys.

Dr. Evo
07-03-2005, 08:11 PM
OK guys the codes i gto from a list are
1. either a DTC PO443 OR 453 FROM DEALER
2.DTC PO172 from WORKS

Ok, P0453 is a slight evap leak, most likely form that loose gas cap. P0172 is bank 1 fuel trim too (rich?), I believe. Could be caused by bad gasoline, misfire (would likely be accompanied by a p030- code), gunked up or failing MAF, etc. If I could see freeze frame data from when the code was set (a good code puller or datalogger will show that) then I could get a better picture of what was really going on. BUT if you cleared the code and it hasn't come back, don't worry. Remember to use a good QUALITY 91 octane gasoline, like Shell or 76, and NO B.S. fuel aditives or treatments/cleaners!

mygsx
07-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Hey Jeremy could bad misfire also be from mechanically worn out spark plug wires or old retarded time to replace those worn out spark plugs?
BTW thanks for the code info!

Dr. Evo
07-04-2005, 09:15 AM
About as bad as possible. A misfire is a misfire. It just means that that cylinder is not firing off the fuel mixture (for whatever reason). Ignition misfires you can generally feal upon acceleration, under load and boost. If you didn't have a P0300 through p0304 code it is PROBABLY not misfiring. They are very good at monitoring that.

vtluu
07-04-2005, 11:10 AM
I had the Magnecor sparkplug wires on for a while and would frequently feel misfires under WOT, and the CEL never came on... On the other hand, recently I've gotten P0300 codes thrown while just cruising at 3krpm and very light load and I didn't feel a thing, just the CEL coming on out of the blue for no apparent reason.

mygsx
07-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Any ideas what could of caused the car to throw the "runninng too rich code"?

vtluu
07-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Any ideas what could of caused the car to throw the "runninng too rich code"?
Uh, running too rich? :lol:

earlyapex
07-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Does it have a aftermarket blow off valve.

Is the blow off valve recirculated or venting?

Again, I can come take a look at the car if you want. I am local, in Alameda.

MitsuMan
07-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I see this all the time in the field its usually the Maf not reading correctly you need to drive it on the freeway and open it up and check your gm/sec reading for the incoming air it should read about like in the 90's and when the car is cold and you havn't started it check your baro reading to your IAT reading they should read very close to the same also check you lean to rich switch time and threshhold voltages of the o2 sensors any one of these things can cause the fuel correction to go to max rich or lean limit the enabling criteria for they codes is a certain load for a certain amount of time and that flags the obd2 monitor the set the code

after repair you must run a full obdII drive cycle to verify you fixed it because the code won't set until the monitor is ready for that system accelerate from a start up at 25% throttle to 50mph for five miles and then coast with no braking to below 30 then accelerate to above 55 with 75% throttle and hold it steady for 5 more miles then come to a stop and check your scanner to see which monitors are set

it take 40 marn up cycles where engine coolant tmp rises more than 30 degrees and three concecutive trips with no failure and the pcm will reset the code itself if that happens you know for shure you fixed the problem

mygsx
07-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Ahem, amen to that Thanks!

MitsuMan
07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
i do this shit all day long for a living sorry if I got a little winded there :wink:

mygsx
07-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Mitsuman code came up again so i bought a code scanner from autozone and got that PO172 DTC running too rich again bank 1 crap again so what im going to do is go ahead and get a new o2 sensor and MAF sensor then go from there whatcha think?Any i deas guys?Gonna get the parts from the dealer so if anyone has any places where i canget good pricing on these parts lemme know thanks!

EvoVIII
07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
maybe you should bring ur car to a dyno tune, since the new SMART xede could over run the OEM engine ECU setting + you will get a new wideband o2sensor

earlyapex
07-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Mitsuman code came up again so i bought a code scanner from autozone and got that PO172 DTC running too rich again bank 1 crap again so what im going to do is go ahead and get a new o2 sensor and MAF sensor then go from there whatcha think?Any i deas guys?Gonna get the parts from the dealer so if anyone has any places where i canget good pricing on these parts lemme know thanks!

MyGSX,

Let me look over your car first before you start throwing expensive parts at it. You free this saturday? Give me a call on friday.

Eclipse
07-07-2005, 07:26 PM

Make Satan fix that crap for you before you buy it yourself!

MitsuMan
07-07-2005, 10:47 PM
maybe you should bring ur car to a dyno tune, since the new SMART xede could over run the OEM engine ECU setting + you will get a new wideband o2sensor :o
thats the best way to go period

I belive your problem is solely in the MAF thats where my money is I can get one for about 350 ish. why don"t you just have a shop test it for you its real easy. you just need to check the grms/sec at wide open throttle 8)

mygsx
07-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Well i took it to San Rafael Mitsu got a the leaking BOV replaced so now ive got a boost leak somewhere in the system still bringing that code up. So ill be replacing all the ic hoses tomorrow. I dont know if the stocker FMIC is leaking though that would kinda suck I also now have a wastegate failure code cuz of the boost leak somewhere. Is there anyway to pressure test stocker FMIC for leaks?

Eclipse
07-09-2005, 11:15 AM
You can and should build a intake leak tester. Also a radiator shop can check just the IC if you want to take it out.

I'd build the tester before I started changing hoses.

DSM link: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

MitsuMan
07-10-2005, 01:02 PM
just spray some brake cleaner on and around all hose i/c, i/c piping and every thing that caries intake air and you'll see a change in rpm when you find the leak its real easy

mygsx
07-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Well now ive got the car running too hard trying to build boost along with fuel cut.I now also havea code Po234 wastegate malfunction. If anyone has any idea on how bent or shape of the rod is supposed to be on the stock WG lemme know. Right now all im getting is just a evo tryin to hard to build boost then fiel cut while building boost. The boost also fluctautes when the turbo peaks atits spooling... great :cry: Any ideas guy???

earlyapex
07-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Well now ive got the car running too hard trying to build boost along with fuel cut.I now also havea code Po234 wastegate malfunction. If anyone has any idea on how bent or shape of the rod is supposed to be on the stock WG lemme know. Right now all im getting is just a evo tryin to hard to build boost then fiel cut while building boost. The boost also fluctautes when the turbo peaks atits spooling... great :cry: Any ideas guy???

Did you hook up a boost gauge yet like we talked about on the phone? Sorry I couldn't find my old one.

I think you should get one on there STAT and find out what the hell you are boosting.

mygsx
07-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Me 2 :evil: