PDA

View Full Version : question about warranty...

lncrevoviii
07-02-2005, 06:40 PM
ok i just purchased a 2005 evo and i was looking for mods which don't effect my warranty a whole lot.
Intake and exhaust. will that effect my warranty and if it does in what way?
aftermarket gauges etc.
also i have read somewhere that u could have anything aftermarket but professinally installed with a reciept of the product and carb approved, the dealer can't deny warranty (is that true) like its illegal for the dealer to deny warranty then.
also if i do buy intake and exhaust and gauges doi have to get that installed from the dealer.
Thanx.

Jamie@WORKS
07-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Warranty issues pertain to the Mitsu dealer of your choice and tend to vary by location. They are all supposed to follow the guidlines set forth by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. It basically states they cannot deny a claim without first proving that an aftermarket item caused the failure of any particular item. Keep in mind, it you put something on the car that is directly related to another item, it's pretty easy to make the connection (i.e. don't expect a warranty claim to go through for shocks if you add springs to it).

Dr. Evo
07-03-2005, 08:23 PM
ok i just purchased a 2005 evo and i was looking for mods which don't effect my warranty a whole lot.
Intake and exhaust. will that effect my warranty and if it does in what way?
aftermarket gauges etc.

If you put an intake on and your MAF fails, don't expect them to warranty the MAF. Things like that. If you put exhaust on and throw a rod, they should have no reason to deny your claim. Gauges don't void any type of warranty, assuming that they were installed correctly and didn't cause any type of problem by installing them.

also i have read somewhere that u could have anything aftermarket but professinally installed with a reciept of the product and carb approved, the dealer can't deny warranty (is that true) like its illegal for the dealer to deny warranty then.
also if i do buy intake and exhaust and gauges doi have to get that installed from the dealer.
Thanx.

Not true. If the aftermarket part contributes to the failure of any other part on the car, they can (and usually will) not warranty the part. Like if you lower you car don't expect to warranty your tires due to an alignment problem. Or if you bolt on 100 more horsepower and in turn smoke your clutch, don't expect the clutch warrantied (like Mitsu warrantys clutches, eh :? ?). The warranty covers, by law, "defects or failures in original equipment material or workmanship". This doesn't mean don't mod your car, just be prepared to pay if you want to play. This also doesn't mean that your entire warranty is null and void if you modify your car. Only the parts directly affected by the aftermarket part or modification would not have to be covered. Most important, find a dealer you can trust. I am not from the Bay Area, but I am sure someone on here could point you in the direction of a "friendly" dealership.