PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tires are best for me?

LEVIII
07-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Just wanted to get a couple of opinions on to what everyones opinions are on the best bang for the buck tire. Obviously I want to spend as little as possible. Also do you think it is better to buy online and skip tax, but then pay out the a$$ to get them mounted/balanced?

I will mainly be using my tires for daily driving so it needs a decent treadwear, maybe 250ish? I will occasionly also use them to auto-X or head up to the mountains, and if I ever decide to man up and finally try a real track day, but again mainly daily work to home use. Let me know what you suggest.

chills
07-10-2005, 11:47 AM
I have had my BFGoodrich KDW tires now for about 6,000 miles... love them... My Evo's my daily driver as well.. traction has not been an issue even when I do drive it hard... I just love taking corners in this car... :) even in the rain they held tight...

methods4
07-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Well if you're looking to go up to the mountains with them (I'm assuming in snow), you'll need a M+S tire and not a summer tire. Plus you want long lasting tread and good enough grip for auto-x. I'm afraid you won't be able to find a tire that fits all of those needs. You gotta compromise somewhere.

EvoRS_Mitch
07-10-2005, 03:29 PM
I run Toyo Proxes RA-1 and am very happy with them. I use them for daily driving (100 mile commute every day) as well as track days. They seem to wear about the same, or slightly better than the Yokohama's, at least so far.

They do not have a rim protection lip like the OEM tires, but otherwise they're great. :thumbsup:

LEVIII
07-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Well if you're looking to go up to the mountains with them (I'm assuming in snow), you'll need a M+S tire and not a summer tire..

No, Wont see any planned snow. When I say mountains I mean the twisties.

I have had my BFGoodrich KDW tires now for about 6,000 miles

How much did you pay otd?

I run Toyo Proxes RA-1 and am very happy with them

how much did you pay otd?

chills
07-10-2005, 04:09 PM
It was about $740 with alignment....

MarkSAE
07-10-2005, 06:56 PM
How about the Hankook Ventus RS2's?

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1521/

It's still a pretty new tire that not many people have tried yet.

300kpa
07-10-2005, 08:54 PM
I am very happy with my Falken Grb Fk451. Better wet traction than OEM tires and last a lot longer.

vtluu
07-11-2005, 10:12 AM
How about the Hankook Ventus RS2's?

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1521/

It's still a pretty new tire that not many people have tried yet.
These are my street tires, and I've auto-x'ed with them a couple times. As far as "street" tires go they're not quite as good as the new Falken RT-615s for auto-x (according to Grassroots Motorsports latest issue) due mainly to the tread design, but they hold up well and grip quite nicely and have a tread design that's probably more rain-friendly than the Falkens.

They're cheap too; best price I've found is from DiscountTireDirect.com, $113 each shipped for 245/45-17s.

EvoRS_Mitch
07-11-2005, 11:01 AM
how much did you pay otd?

About $700 for a set if memory serves. Got em at Aim Tire at Infineon.

http://www.aimtire.com/

kimmievo
07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm kind of having the same dilemma right now. I need to buy my tires before my wheels get here, and I am torn between the Falken Azenis ST-115 (I think that's the model) and the Toyo Proxes T1S.
Any suggestions?

SouthernCrane
07-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I ended up getting some Kumho Ecsta MXs, and they are great. They should work nicely for everything you are looking for, but I think their tread wear rating is 220.

vtluu
07-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I ended up getting some Kumho Ecsta MXs, and they are great. They should work nicely for everything you are looking for, but I think their tread wear rating is 220.
Good choice; they're pretty grippy tires and reasonably priced too. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

EFIxMR
07-11-2005, 12:59 PM
i picked up some advan ad07 hope they work good.

SouthernCrane
07-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Good choice; they're pretty grippy tires and reasonably priced too. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Just to let you know LEVIII, I talked to Tam and Percy before getting these tires. Both guys go to the track quite a bit, and have used different tires on the street and track. These Kumho tires will save you money. They are around 100-120 per tire, and will last longer than the stock advans and handle nicely (but not as good as the stockers).