PDA

View Full Version : should i...

kikosurf
07-11-2005, 06:04 AM
should i get a cat back first of should i get the XFlash Reprogrammed ECU? i want to start moding my car but i'm not sure which to get first. I plan on getting both sooner or later its just i dont know which one to get first. do i go cat back or xflash? which is a better first mod move and why?

xchoirboy
07-11-2005, 06:28 AM
get your mods first ... easier to go get your flash once you have your parts on then going back once you add them.

Evo442
07-11-2005, 06:33 AM
should i get a cat back first of should i get the XFlash Reprogrammed ECU? i want to start moding my car but i'm not sure which to get first. I plan on getting both sooner or later its just i dont know which one to get first. do i go cat back or xflash? which is a better first mod move and why?

Honestly, if you can afford it, just do them both at the same time. Both are good changes to make early in the upgrade path.

But, that doesn't answer your question. Personally, I'd do the catback first. Will save you some time in the long run. If you have Shiv xflash your ecu, then get the catback, you'll have to go back to Vishnu afterwards to get re-flashed for the catback. If you get the catback first, then you only have to go to Vishnu once for the flash. (until you get another mod)

Also, its my understanding that Xflash updates are free only if you buy Vishnu parts. So, for example if you get Xflashed, and then get a Helix cat back exhaust, Shiv will charge you for the Xflash update for the new exhaust. If you add the Vishnu catback, the xflash update is free.

BTW, why not Works? Lots of satisfied customers with their products...

evo_dadi
07-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Also, its my understanding that Xflash updates are free only if you buy Vishnu parts. So, for example if you get Xflashed, and then get a Helix cat back exhaust, Shiv will charge you for the Xflash update for the new exhaust. If you add the Vishnu catback, the xflash update is free.

i was under the impression that works does the same thing with their flash update :wink:

but like what dyuyeno and xchoirboy said go with a catback first then flash so it saves you more trips going back and forth :thumbsup:

mattbcool
07-11-2005, 10:50 AM
why go with just a cat back when you can go turbo back! then get it flashed! i put on turbo back with no flash and i felt a considerable difference on the Arse dyno, waiting to get it tuned soon too. btw i have a extra turbo back for sale pm me if interested.

stockEVO8
07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
screw the flash!!! get a safc2

evo_dadi
07-11-2005, 05:43 PM
screw the flash!!! get a safc2 :wink: :thumbsup:

Evo442
07-11-2005, 05:48 PM

well thats a whole different topic all together, flash, vs standalone vs exede vs safc etc, etc, :D

Evo_xTSi
07-11-2005, 05:58 PM

Oh no not the reflash vs. standalone debate again.

Jamie@WORKS
07-11-2005, 06:20 PM

i was under the impression that works does the same thing with their flash update :wink:

but like what dyuyeno and xchoirboy said go with a catback first then flash so it saves you more trips going back and forth :thumbsup:

WORKS Brain Flash updates and upgrades are free to the original owner when they purchase additional WORKS items. Non-WORKS items may have a small fee to receive the upgrade. However, not all items warrant a reflash. A cat-back is going to have minimal change from the ECU's point of view. The only part of the exhaust that we typically reflash for is when swapping the stock cat for an HFC or RTP. (These items tend to change the flow characteristics more than any other.) You could always go with the WORKS P2 and an ABM and save the IP for later ;)

Absinthe
07-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Oh no not the reflash vs. standalone debate again.

wait we have covered that already???????? :?

gOt BoOsT
07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
my first upgrade was suspension...not the eaisest choice, but the best chioce :wink:

methods4
07-13-2005, 10:46 PM
my first upgrade was suspension...not the eaisest choice, but the best chioce :wink:

My first upgrade was to get rid of the gei riceboy tail lights. Best money I've spent so far on my Evo. 8)

Matz
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I love WORKS' policy of free flash updates with the P2. I noticed a considerable power difference even when I got the P2 without any other mods. I love the WORKS IP / DP / ABM combination -- really great sound and overall, it's extremely quiet.

On the flash vs standalone issue, I'm still thinking about running the HKS FCON VPro in piggyback mode, just to see how that goes. I've been told it works in standalone and piggyback modes, and does a really good job autotuning the car.