PDA

View Full Version : Misfire / Asking a Favor...

earlyapex
07-11-2005, 11:45 AM
So I am trying to track down a really shitty misfire problem I am having on my EVO.

I think I might have it down to the ignition system.

Does any kind evo owning soul on this list that is local to the east bay / SF area want to be
a honey and let me swap coil-on-plugs super fast for about an hour? It takes about 10
minutes to swap the coil-on plugs and six 10mm bolts. The coil and ignition system is
built into cyl #2 and cyl#4 spark plug bolts so its a super easy swap.

Of course, if I break your shit, I will pay for it. I will also buy you lunch or dinner or beer or whatever.

The coil-on-plugs aren't too expensive ($150 each, need 2) but I don't want to pay for
them if its not really the problem.

In case anyone is interested, the problem I am having is:

If I do a WOT pull, then shift to the next gear, right when I get back on power and the
boost builds, the car totally misfires like a son-of-a-bitch for about 2 secs and it
backfires, then cleans itself up and pulls fine for the rest of the gear.

To make things even more confusing, if I do a straight WOT pull in ONE GEAR through the
whole powerband to redline, its totally clean, no problems what so ever! Great
pocketlogger log and everything. As soon as I shift to the next gear it does it. *but it does
not show up on the logs*

It seems to do it much much much worse in day time heat which is leading me to believe
the coils are getting cranky with heat. At night, in cold weather, it hardly does it, if at all.

yes, I have swapped new plugs in, seemed to clean it up for a bit then it comes back the
next day. Have reset the ecu, etc.

Thanks in advance to any kind soul that lets me swap coils for an hour!

Car power mods:
720cc injectors
SAFC
FP
Turboback
MBC @ 1.4bar

SJCoruja
07-11-2005, 11:52 AM
If nobody more local can help you out, we can figure out a time and I'll drive on up so you can use mine. :)

SouthernCrane
07-11-2005, 12:14 PM
If nobody more local can help you out, we can figure out a time and I'll drive on up so you can use mine. :)

+1

It would be better on the weekend, but maybe we can meet half way a weekday. If SJCoruja does't workout send me a PM.

sumo
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Sent u a PM.

Toshi

Evo442
07-11-2005, 05:55 PM
if u r gonna be in sacto sometime, i'll help ya out. PM me if u r interested

Jamie@WORKS
07-11-2005, 06:26 PM
We've got a few extras at WORKS if you want to stop by.

Evo442
07-11-2005, 08:00 PM
We've got a few extras at WORKS if you want to stop by.

Works :thumbsup:

earlyapex
07-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks all for your carebear love.

Looks like Ty at Road Race Engineering is helping me out like usual.

If the care package from my honey Ty doesn't make it here in time I'll for sure look into you guys.

Thanks again!

SouthernCrane
07-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks all for your carebear love.

Looks like Ty at Road Race Engineering is helping me out like usual.

If the care package from my honey Ty doesn't make it here in time I'll for sure look into you guys.

Thanks again!

keep us updated with your problem. hope everything works out for you.