PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch can installation gone bad

Matz
07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Ok, so you should all get a really good laugh out of this.

I just finished installing my Weapon R oil catch can, and it didn't go as smoothly as I had originally expected. My whole downfall was getting impatient when routing the second hose.

To make a long story short, I was having a really tough time getting the hose off. I figured that if I couldn't get it off, I sure wouldn't be able to get the other hose back on. Looking... looking... oh hey, I'll just pull off the radiator hose!

I'm such a dumbass. I ended up with a huge amount of coolant gushing out of my radiator, and now it's all over the garage. And when I tightened one of the hose clamps, I tightened it too much and snapped off the head. So hopefully, I won't ever have to remove the catch can. :roll:

Anyhow, the installation looks good, minus the missing head, and all of the coolant in the garage.

So my question to everyone here is, can I just top off the coolant through the radiator cap or reserve tank? Hopefully, someone can tell me tonight so I can get coolant in the car before I leave tomorrow morning. :)

cerebus
07-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I can't believe someone more knowledgable hasn't answered yet. I think if the car is cold, you can just remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level in the radiator and top it off, then also put some coolant in the overflow tank as well. I'd want enough coolant in the tank to be above the Min line at least.

Educated guess on my part. Good luck.

Evo442
07-16-2005, 11:19 PM
that sucks dude!

anyway, you can fill the radiator through the radiator cap. 50% anti-freeze, 50% distilled water or whatever combination you like. Run the motor so all the bubbles come to the surface, keep filling as needed. Once no more air comes out, shut off the motor and put the cap on. Fill the overflow to the line.

SouthernCrane
07-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I ended up with a huge amount of coolant gushing out of my radiator, and now it's all over the garage.

At least it wasn't scolding hot fluid that shot at your face or something. :)

Matz
07-17-2005, 09:09 AM
that sucks dude!

anyway, you can fill the radiator through the radiator cap. 50% anti-freeze, 50% distilled water or whatever combination you like. Run the motor so all the bubbles come to the surface, keep filling as needed. Once no more air comes out, shut off the motor and put the cap on. Fill the overflow to the line.

cool, thanks for the info! it's okay to run the car with the radiator cap off? I'll give that a shot after I buy an equivalent part to the MB991871 special tool (i.e. funnel). :)

Evo442
07-17-2005, 10:23 AM
that sucks dude!

cool, thanks for the info! it's okay to run the car with the radiator cap off? I'll give that a shot after I buy an equivalent part to the MB991871 special tool (i.e. funnel). :)

yep, thats fine.

Matz
07-17-2005, 02:15 PM
that sucks dude!

yep, thats fine.

I *think* everything is ok. I just filled up the radiator, and then ran the car a bit. It bubble a little, but then the coolant started to overflow and spill out, so I shut off the car and wicked out the excess coolant with some paper towels. I then capped the radiator and drove the car around the block several times. Do you think this is good enough to verify that nothing is wrong?

MitsuMan
07-17-2005, 06:20 PM
live and learn rookie he he he always check you coolant level in the radiator when cold the overflow bottle is just an enviromentaly safe place for coolant to go when the fluid expands and is expelled from the radiator
:yahoo: